New Jack arrested for Battery

Georgia wrestler accused of stabbing opponent 14 times

The Associated Press - JACKSONVILLE, Fla.

A professional wrestler from Georgia, accused of stabbing his opponent 14 times with a prop during a match, has been arrested on a charge of aggravated battery.

Both wrestlers in the local Thunder Wrestling Federation event told police the prop was brought in as part of what in wrestling is known as "hard-core," where it is not uncommon to see such props as knives, chains, bats and barbed wire.

The event's promoter said it wasn't supposed to be hard-core.

Police charged Jerome Young, 41, of Smyrna, Ga., who goes by the ring name of New Jack, with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He was being held under $40,003 bond Tuesday in the Duval County Jail. A court appearance was set for Nov. 2.

Young told police he and his opponent, William Jason Lane, 37, of Fruit Cove, planned before the match to use a piece of metal to inflict some injury. Lane, treated and released at Shands Jacksonville hospital, told officers he wasn't sure what happened but that "this is a dangerous sport," according to a police report.

Lane did not want to talk about the incident Tuesday, but a woman who said she was his girlfriend told The Florida Times-Union that the event was supposed to be hard-core but not violent.

"It wasn't supposed to happen like that. But it did, and he got hurt pretty bad," said Meghan Hancock.

Promoter Maurice Williams said he doesn't promote hard-core. "We wrestle. You won't see any barbed wire bats and chains."

Williams said wrestlers will be checked closely before future bouts.

"There will be nothing ever coming near Thunder again," he said.

Witnesses, including a Brunswick, Ga., police officer who videotaped the match, said it looked like it went past a routine wrestling match. Another witness said it looked like one wrestler lost control when he thought the other was "intentionally trying to hurt him," according to the police report.

A fan scooped up the metal object, which has not been recovered by police.

Jail records Tuesday gave no information on Young's legal representation.

"the event was supposed to be hard-core but not violent."

??????????????

New Jack's 2 interviews on Get in the Ring were hilarious.

"Abdullah the Butcher said I ripped him off. I told abdullah I don't see your fat ass jumping off balconies."

"Witnesses, including a Brunswick, Ga., police officer who videotaped the match, said it looked like it went past a routine wrestling match. Another witness said it looked like one wrestler lost control when he thought the other was "intentionally trying to hurt him," according to the police report."

The selective editing and strategic use of material by journalists when it comes to covering pro wrestling never ceases to amaze me. The promoter and the performers all 'knew' that everything that was happening was cooperative and given creative license, yet the author conviently leaves the promoters own words out of the article to give an impression of an uncontrolled 'shoot' situation. Under the threat of legal action, the author of the article now acknowledges this fact.

Here's a statement from the Thunder Pro Wrestling website:

"At Shocktober 2004, one match escalated and resulted in injury. The TWF is not an extreme nor hardcore league as the media has stated. Hardcore wrestling is an art and those who engage in it are to be respected for their tremendous sacrifice in that part of our industry. Management was aware of the hardcore rules and what it entails, and the newspaper that stated the promoter was unaware, that was their own caption. Mr. Dan Scanlan, writer of that article, admitted that the owner never stated that he did not know about this match and what it included and that was not in his story. There is a rewrite to that subtitle being written. This is wrestling and we are a family oriented company and there will be no hardcore matches in the TWF in the future."

my father-in-law is an attorney in Jax, he got into town yesterday and came by my shop and told me not to wrestle "Low-Jack" (that's what he called him,lol)anytime soon...and that it's pretty serious.

Anybody ever see the Jim Cornette shoot and his New Jack comments?..

new jack is a fucking psycho....

what did they expect? its new jack

New Jack is just keeping it real.

LOL at $40,003! Did they check his fucking bank account, and see that he had exactly 40,000, and wouldn't be able to raise the extra 3?!