New NFL Rules

•  A communication device will be allowed for 1 defensive player.
  • Coin toss winners at the beginning of the game can now defer (just like in college).
  • Receivers must land both feet in bounds.  Force outs will not be called unless the defensive player actually carries the receiver out of bounds. 
  • No more 5 yard incidental facemask penalty.  Any twisting, grabbing or otherwise illegal use of the facemask will be a 15 yard penalty.

I like the force out rule.  It was often too difficult to "guess" if a receiver was going to come down inbounds or not.  This makes it black and white - plus there will be a lot of receivers getting creamed on the sidelines. 

I also like the idea of the MLB having direct communication with the coaches.  Teams no longer have to worry about their signals getting stolen.

I still want them to address the OT issue.  I'd much rather see some form of the college-type OT rather than just a coin flip for possession and the first one to score wins.  I don't care how the percentages work out on how often the loser of the coin flip wins the game - I like college OT better.

I liked the old force out rule...though I like rule changes that benefit the defense, too. 

OT: I have a feeling they can't change OT based on a few factors...games would get too long, scores/stats/TD's would be inflated to players/teams playing overtimes, things like that.  A player could have a 4-TD game because 3 of them came when his team started at the 25 yd line.  When contractual incentives are figured in, the lucky guy to go to OT just made it while other players don't have that opportunity. 

I love the OT system in college but I don't think it would fit the NFL

You make some good points about the OT. It would make for a better game - but stats would be crazy. Can you imagine the fantasy football implications? lol

I like the rule changes.

College OT is too much like a video game for my liking.

Alco,

If they changed OT to the college format, I'm pretty sure every player with a TD record to his name and every owner that is paying out on "performance clauses" would be alot more concerned than a fantasy player.

I would like to see ot wins require 5 points to be scored. If you score a td or score twice you deserve to win the game.

I would also prefer the college rule to be used for catches at the sideline. If you get one foot in it's a catch. If you don't it's not.

That new force out rule hurts the tall WR's a lot IMO. the DB's are going to just try and hammer them out instead of having to contest the jump (which they would usually lose). As the Colts currently have pretty short DB's and Moss plays for the Pats. I offically like this new rule!!

BigKiller - Alco,

If they changed OT to the college format, I'm pretty sure every player with a TD record to his name and every owner that is paying out on "performance clauses" would be alot more concerned than a fantasy player.

Oh, I know that.  But I was just chuckling at the thought of someone winning their fantasy game going into MNF, having a QB they were going against throw a shutout during regulation but throw 4 TDs in OT.

LOL @ the insanity that would cause.

If they did change OT, they'd have to copy the NHL and have points scored in the "shootout" not count for a player's stats.

I'm a big fan of the force-out rule. No more of this "would have come down in bounds" crap. I like it.