New nick name for Jake Shields - "The Mummifier"

He wraps himself around his opponents and preserves them for a full 5 rounds and then they finish completely intact.

what?

lol at a submission being someone's "idea of winning a fight" as if he should be ashamed of it.

billy914 - lol at a submission being someone's "idea of winning a fight" as if he should be ashamed of it.

he shouldnt but i think what he's saying is that he's not fighting as a true mixed martial artist

andy wang and jorge gurgel should be jake's new coaches, they seem to know what to do if your a jiu jitsu black belt.

JUST BLEEEEED! 

Sure the fight was boring and repetive but the ground game is part of MMA.  The UG is supposed to be for the enlightened hardcore fans, not the 'uneducated rednecks' that don't understand the intricacies of the ground game.

japetto - Yeah, a true mixed martial artist would stand and wang.

i think a true mixed martial artist would be good at all aspects of the game, instead of just really good at one

a great grappeler, but not a GSP caliber mixed martial artist

OblongBox - The guy is boring. His strikes on the ground were hilarious. It's pretty clear his idea of winning a fight is by submission or decision.

MMA is changing. People are fed up with people who are afraid to strike.

OMG!!!!!!! BULLY BEATDOWN RULES.. OH HELL YEAH! YOU WATCH THAT SHOW TOO????!

OMG WHAT IS THIS GRAPPLING THING? FUX THAT I WANT TO SEE GUYS TRANE UFC NOT HUG EACHODDER! WTF HE ISNT RISKING LOSING BY THROWING WILD HAYMAKERS?! OMG THIS IS A TRAVESTY!

The issue is he didn't even try to do any damage. He was happy to out wrestle Mayhem and lay on him for a decision. It's laughable people think he could hang with GSP at all.

"the salt....turns the bodies.....into mummies" - Home Alone

I like Jake "Snuggie" Shields

http://familystyles.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/snuggies.jpg

Ew0k187 - 

i think a true mixed martial artist would be good at all aspects of the game, instead of just really good at one

A smart fighter plays to his strength. Too many guys these days think like you do and try to stand and wang like Gurgel when they should be playing what got them there.

japetto - Jake has had one decision in his last 9 fights, and that was to Mayhem, who GSP couldn't finish either. 

This thread = FAIL!

/thread

MickColins - 
Ew0k187 - 

A smart fighter plays to his strength. Too many guys these days think like you do and try to stand and wang like Gurgel when they should be playing what got them there.

oh i agree 100%

i wouldve done the same thing if i was in jake's shoes

but what seperates a smart fighter and a legendary p4p fighter is knowledge and practice of all aspects of the sport

anyways, i think i may have strayed a bit off track

a great win for shields congrats to him

Mister twenty five

Ew0k187 - 
billy914 - lol at a submission being someone's "idea of winning a fight" as if he should be ashamed of it.

he shouldnt but i think what he's saying is that he's not fighting as a true mixed martial artist

I totally disagree. There is nothing wrong with consistently bringing the fight into your area of expertise, in fact that's exactly what a fighter should do. Who are you to say what a "true" mixed martial artist does? MMA is about what works and winning the fight, plain and simple. If Shields can win every fight by his current tactics, good for him. I don't want a display of stand up from him. The actual most boring fighters in MMA are guys like Andy Wang and Jorge Gurgel. I can't be bothered sitting through 15 minutes of shitty striking.