New Orleans and the surrounding area (TME)

I asked this about a year ago but I can't find it again. Officially, moving to NOLA area next month. Probably living in the burbs. How bad is traffic into the city? Taxes? Best web sites for general info? Decent gun ranges (indoor and outdoor)? Can I kayak without worrying about getting attacked by gators? ANY general or specific tips are all appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Traffic can get a little intense around rush hour, but overall it's nowhere near as bad as other cities. Drivers are assholes though.

I live in Metairie, the biggest NOLA suburb. Lots of shopping in this area.

The Bywater is the area you wanna be if you're an artsy type.

Don't walk around anywhere after dark in the city alone. You WILL be mugged.

The Saints are a religion down here. It's beyond sport and unlike anything you've ever seen. Pretty crazy.

Don't know anything about guns or kayaks, but there are gators in pretty much everybody of water larger than a puddle.

In Phone Post 3.0

We checked it out last year. I have lived in Chicago, so I know where to avoid in most cities after dark. Is it everywhere at night though? There is a bar/restaurant called "The bulldog" that we liked. You could bring your dog there while you eat. That "seemed" like a somewhat safe area. We wont live in the city. I'm too old for that kind of shit nowadays. Suburbs on the water is what we need. Wife wants to be "just far enough" from the city to drop in whenever we feel like going into the city. Metairie, Homa, Slidell, ... is what we are considering. How much are the tolls on the 25 mile bridge?

in

Check out slidell. Plenty of water being in a much safer area. Only 20 minutes to the city if you are workin down town.

I live in the north side of lake ponchatrain and commute to n.o. east. I have a good friend thats a real estate agent if you want help. Hell i could help find a place. Im kinda in that field. Phone Post 3.0

Toll is three bucks but only pay going south. Phone Post 3.0

Plus if you commute from slidell you dont have to pay the toll.

If you check out mandeville covington madisonville or ponchatoula you would go causeway.

I live in ponchatoula which is in tangipahoa parish on the northshore and taxes are much cheaper. St tammany parish is cov mand and madisonville. Its the "higher" end living but tangi is growing fastest with new homes due to taxes. Phone Post 3.0

Don't forget the frack friendly Tangi area. Tuscoloosa Marine Shale, baby! Hopefully it will be like the N. Dakota of LA.

Ben Jaquenhoft - Plus if you commute from slidell you dont have to pay the toll.

If you check out mandeville covington madisonville or ponchatoula you would go causeway.

I live in ponchatoula which is in tangipahoa parish on the northshore and taxes are much cheaper. St tammany parish is cov mand and madisonville. Its the "higher" end living but tangi is growing fastest with new homes due to taxes. Phone Post 3.0

Hi neighbor. I work in Hammond but live in the sticks of Kentwood

I like that area. Kentwood and aye-mit are growing too. Hell anywhere between mandeville and baton rouge is blowing up. Phone Post 3.0

If you are looking across the lake def check out Mandeville and Madisonville

That is where I would want to live if I had a family and was working in New Orleans. Single def would be downtown. Phone Post 3.0

I live in Mandeville. It's a nice suburb and this Parish (county) has the best public schools in the state. I have two little ones so I'm here for a while. If I didn't have kids I'd be uptown or in the warehouse district.

I commute everyday across the causeway. Regular toll is $3 only going south but I have a toll tag that drops it to $2 (I think...company pays it).

You get used to the drive and its actually a good decompression time after work if you know what I mean.

Drive through Daquri shops

My brother-in-law lives in the Lakeview/Lakeshore area, which is on the south side of Lake Pontchartrain. It's right on the other side of the canal from Bucktown.

His house was maybe 3 doors away from the major levee break from Katrina. The roads are in absolutely horrendous shape.

It seems like a nice area with quite a range of real estate opening up. His block was nearly completely destroyed. At one time his was one of 5 houses left where nearly 100 homes had been before the hurricane. He bought the newly vacant lot next door and now has a huge yard for New Orleans.

That seems like one of the better places to live in New Orleans. It's surrounded on most sides by water, so thieves have a hard time getting to the property. The canals in New Orleans serve as an important crime deterrent.

Good thread. I hope to move to NOLA in a couple of months, and I'll be looking for somewhere decent to live with a family. Safety, good schools and good fresh grocery store nearby are on the list.

going back in Dec.

Cant wait

Ben Jaquenhoft - Check out slidell. Plenty of water being in a much safer area. Only 20 minutes to the city if you are workin down town.

I live in the north side of lake ponchatrain and commute to n.o. east. I have a good friend thats a real estate agent if you want help. Hell i could help find a place. Im kinda in that field. Phone Post 3.0

Seriously, THANKS! Unfortunately, we do have an agent already though. I am headed down there for a house hunting trip soon. Then we move in. Seriously, do I need to be worried about the gators though? We kayak and spend time on the water. Also is there a Cabela's or Gander Mtn type of big box place near the area? I was going to check out red jacket, but...

We have academy sports. Other than that cabelas and bass pro os about an hour away. Puglia sports is a mom and pop outdoors place in metairie. Dont be worried about gators. They are here but i rarely hear of any attacks. Phone Post 3.0

Areas outside of the city (Metairie, Slidell, Kenner, etc.) are relatively safe at night.

I lived in Slidell for a few years in a new construction subdivision. It was nice, but the drive in for work everyday wore on me after a while. Couldn't take it.