New Orleans and the surrounding area (TME)

Ben Jaquenhoft - We have academy sports. Other than that cabelas and bass pro os about an hour away. Puglia sports is a mom and pop outdoors place in metairie. Dont be worried about gators. They are here but i rarely hear of any attacks. Phone Post 3.0

kayak fishing is really big here. I have never done it but good friends do. You can catch nice big reds in the marsh and Kayaks are perfect for that. If you aren't into fishing there is water everywhere.Gators are really docile and i'm not just trying to sound like a tough guy. They are really nothing to be scared of really unless you get knocked out or drown or something. The would never attack you in your kayak. They aren't crocs,they eat turtles and shit mostly. If you look at Trulia, they show you the crime level by the street. thats pretty important there bc things can change pretty drastically. depending if you are single, have kids, and how much money you have would all make a pretty big difference in where you should live

I quoted the wrong fucking post

I'd recommend living on the Northshore- covington, mandeville, madisonville area and commute to work Phone Post 3.0

Barbasol OOTFFTT -
Ben Jaquenhoft - Plus if you commute from slidell you dont have to pay the toll.

If you check out mandeville covington madisonville or ponchatoula you would go causeway.

I live in ponchatoula which is in tangipahoa parish on the northshore and taxes are much cheaper. St tammany parish is cov mand and madisonville. Its the "higher" end living but tangi is growing fastest with new homes due to taxes. Phone Post 3.0

Hi neighbor. I work in Hammond but live in the sticks of Kentwood
Wow, I used to live in Ponchatoula! I saw you said drive through daiquiris and that you work in hammond, I used to bartend at Rainbow's, I'm sure you've heard of it. Phone Post 3.0

CracklinsRgood4U - I quoted the wrong fucking post
Made me laugh, VU Phone Post 3.0

simpleman17 - We checked it out last year. I have lived in Chicago, so I know where to avoid in most cities after dark. Is it everywhere at night though? There is a bar/restaurant called "The bulldog" that we liked. You could bring your dog there while you eat. That "seemed" like a somewhat safe area. We wont live in the city. I'm too old for that kind of shit nowadays. Suburbs on the water is what we need. Wife wants to be "just far enough" from the city to drop in whenever we feel like going into the city. Metairie, Homa, Slidell, ... is what we are considering. How much are the tolls on the 25 mile bridge?

Metairie is a safe bet, Kenner, Harahan, you dont want to live in new orleans unless you can afford to live in a private /gated neighborhood..... otherwise some areas are like living in a war zone. I am from metairie and just recently moved to kenner.... friend me and when you get here i can tell you more!

Kenner and the immediate surrounding areas are gross. Trashy. Find a nice community in Metairie. I live an hour from NOLA in Ascension Parish. It's great out here and the drive out there isn't terrible. Good luck!!!

thestateofmePeaHead -
Barbasol OOTFFTT -
Ben Jaquenhoft - Plus if you commute from slidell you dont have to pay the toll.

If you check out mandeville covington madisonville or ponchatoula you would go causeway.

I live in ponchatoula which is in tangipahoa parish on the northshore and taxes are much cheaper. St tammany parish is cov mand and madisonville. Its the "higher" end living but tangi is growing fastest with new homes due to taxes. Phone Post 3.0

Hi neighbor. I work in Hammond but live in the sticks of Kentwood
Wow, I used to live in Ponchatoula! I saw you said drive through daiquiris and that you work in hammond, I used to bartend at Rainbow's, I'm sure you've heard of it. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I know that place. Phone Post 3.0

If you are checking out slidell, look in the eden isles subdivision. Every house is on a canal that connects to lake ponchartrain. Venetian isles is further south but the same style subdivision.
This map of new orleans us so true

Phone Post 3.0

I was there for the Sugar Bowl in January and the BCS National Championship a few years ago...

R.I.P. OP. We're gonna miss you...

tourist - My brother-in-law lives in the Lakeview/Lakeshore area, which is on the south side of Lake Pontchartrain. It's right on the other side of the canal from Bucktown.

His house was maybe 3 doors away from the major levee break from Katrina. The roads are in absolutely horrendous shape.

It seems like a nice area with quite a range of real estate opening up. His block was nearly completely destroyed. At one time his was one of 5 houses left where nearly 100 homes had been before the hurricane. He bought the newly vacant lot next door and now has a huge yard for New Orleans.

That seems like one of the better places to live in New Orleans. It's surrounded on most sides by water, so thieves have a hard time getting to the property. The canals in New Orleans serve as an important crime deterrent.

The map declares this area as "It's safe here".

DeepBleedingTwunt - Kenner and the immediate surrounding areas are gross. Trashy. Find a nice community in Metairie. I live an hour from NOLA in Ascension Parish. It's great out here and the drive out there isn't terrible. Good luck!!!

I sort of agree with you on Kenner being gross, except that the area I live in(in Kenner ) isnt that bad, I moved from metairie, I will say that I much rather metairie though.

Kenner has some CRAZY nice subdivisions these days. I don't even remember what street I was on (somewhere off of Power) one night and passed by one that was SERIOUSLY upscale... like multimillion dollar homes and shit.

But yeah, the old subdivisions like around the Esplanade mall are filled with "hey, brahs." Not neccessarily dangerous. Just kinda depressing...Not to say my neighborhood in Metairie is any better, cuz it ain't all dat. I live a couple blocks off Veterans (the street between ChickfilA and Panda Express.

newflowerfeeder - Kenner has some CRAZY nice subdivisions these days. I don't even remember what street I was on (somewhere off of Power) one night and passed by one that was SERIOUSLY upscale... like multimillion dollar homes and shit.

But yeah, the old subdivisions like around the Esplanade mall are filled with "hey, brahs." Not neccessarily dangerous. Just kinda depressing...Not to say my neighborhood in Metairie is any better, cuz it ain't all dat. I live a couple blocks off Veterans (the street between ChickfilA and Panda Express.

man I eat with my kids at the chick-fil-a right there, I grew up across the cleary bridge  on Augusta st right before West metairie, then I bought a condo right off the cleary bridge before that area turned to shit, the condos have brick bottoms and white up top(cleary and 33rd st. Now I am in Kenner off of Kansas ave, nice big house!

What area of New Orleans would be family friendly, safe and somewhat affordable?

St. Charles Parish (between New Orleans and Houma) is about 30 minutes from the city on the Westbank. If your concern is good public schools for kids and stuff, you might want to look there. Lots of safe and affordable neighborhoods. More of a rural lifestyle there in comparison to Kenner, Metairie, etc. Phone Post 3.0

Barry Soetoro Jr - What area of New Orleans would be family friendly, safe and somewhat affordable?

It doesn't exist in my opinion. You can raise a family there, but you have to pay for the private school option. This is usually a Catholic option. My brother-in-law says you really have to suck up to the priests and donate lots of extra money to get your kid into some schools.

Places to live are scarce, as the map above shows. Regardless of where you are, you always have to keep your head on a swivel looking for crime rushing at you.

tourist - 
Barry Soetoro Jr - What area of New Orleans would be family friendly, safe and somewhat affordable?
<br />
<span class="User-196377" id="userPost51408409">It doesn't exist in my opinion. You can raise a family there, but you have to pay for the private school option. This is usually a Catholic option. My brother-in-law says you really have to suck up to the priests and donate lots of extra money to get your kid into some schools.<br />
<br />
Places to live are scarce, as the map above shows. Regardless of where you are, you always have to keep your head on a swivel looking for crime rushing at you.</span></blockquote>

LOL, that is the biggest bullshit statement I have heard about my city. Catholic school is the best option, but you dont have to suck up to anyone, you just need to fork over the pricey tuition. Also, I have lived in Metairie my whole life... not one issue, Jefferson Parish Sheriff Department has that on lockdown, the westbank has crime though. If you want a good public school, you have to go across the lake, they have decent public schools over there, everything is nice. I also worked in New Orleans East for 13 plus years never had an issue or felt unsafe. I wouldnt suggest living out there, its like a wasteland now. I actually moved to Kenner in a nice neighborhood, I dont feel unsafe here either, I guess no matter where you live though, you have good and bad area's if you are buying a house, check with your realtor for advice on good & bad areas and ask them not to look for houses in that area.

p.s. that fucking map is dumb so dont believe  it too much. 

Carry a gun everywhere. Carry two guns in some areas.

I'm telling you guys...St. Charles Parish has GOOD public schools (Hahnville High, Destrahan, etc.). It's the Westbank, yes, but not the Westbank you guys are referring to.