New PC Build

I finally got all of my parts ordered for my new PC build.

I know it's geekdom, but I'm excited for all the parts to arrive and spend next weekend building my new machine.

My current PC I built in 2010, so it had finally reached the point where it wasn't able to run new games at the levels I wanted to, so it was time to start fresh.

System Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz

MB: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97

Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400

Video: GIGABYTE GV-N970IXOC-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5

OS Drive: SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Data Drive: WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Case:  Cooler Master HAF 922 - High Air Flow Mid Tower

Power: Rosewill PHOTON Series PHOTON-650 650W

BR Burner: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST

WiFi: Rosewill RNWD-N9003PCE, Dual Band Wireless N900 Wi-Fi Adapter, IEEE 802.11a/11b/11g/11n

Total spent w/ shipping was just over $1,500.

Hopefully that will get me another 5 years of high-end gaming.

I'll be hooking this up to my 42" Vizio M-series 1080p 240 Hz TV and my Logitech G27 racing wheel and pedal setup I already have, and eagerly awaiting the release of "Project Cars" in the first of April. In the meantime, I'll be putting in laps in "Asseto Corsa".

970s have a recall on them btw Phone Post 3.0

Power supply seems a little low, but they're cheap enough to up grade.

There is not going to be a recall.
It was a misunderstanding of the differences in how the 970 allocates top memory versus the 980.
People were calling for a recall when they were doing benchmarks and not seeing access above 3.5Gb when the 980 was showing 4.0Gb allocation on the same tests.
Nvidia released a paper detailing how the 970 does a dual allocation and why the benchmark programs reported what they did.
Plus, the allocation only takes place above 1440p, so if you are running on a 1080p TV, versus on a monitor above 1440p, you wouldn't see it anyway. Phone Post 3.0

DaveFu - Power supply seems a little low, but they're cheap enough to up grade.
Components these days don't take as much power as they used to.
I have a 750w in my current PC I built in 2010.
When configuring this machine, the recommendation was actually a 450W supply.
I was shocked too, until I started reading about energy consumption of new parts versus those from just a few years ago.
I went with an upgrade to 650W, which was the recommendation if running 2 video cards in SLI, but I just felt better having more than the recommendation. Phone Post 3.0

I'm a longtime computer enthusiast. Your build looks great. Have you looked at Corsair Obsidian cases? Phone Post 3.0

Here's my most recent build.

http://imgur.com/R0HUnKf Phone Post 3.0

BKViper -
I was shocked too, until I started reading about energy consumption of new parts versus those from just a few years ago.
I went with an upgrade to 650W, which was the recommendation if running 2 video cards in SLI, but I just felt better having more than the recommendation. Phone Post 3.0
Also, VU :)

W8 gets a free upgrade to 10, which is awesome. Phone Post 3.0

Ironberg - Here's my most recent build.

Phone Post 3.0

BKViper - 

Yeah I like it when they have a little headroom since they've been known to degrade but more than enough is more than enough.

If you are using it for gaming skip the i7 and go for an i5. Use the difference to buy a 980.

i7 chips have hyperthreading which isn't used in gaming. There is a huge upgrade 970-980. Spend the money on the GPU. Phone Post 3.0

I really want a new one. I last built mine in 2010 too and it has no hope of playing the new games properly. Just moved into a new place I can only just afford though. Money's tight :( Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like pretty hot system. Just curious why Rosewill? Reading reviews on their stuff previously they seemed sketchy. I suppose they all have failures though.

GROUNDnLB -
Ironberg - Here's my most recent build.

Phone Post 3.0
Sorry. Here is the direct link.

http://i.imgur.com/R0HUnKf.jpg

BKviper, how are you cooling it? Phone Post 3.0

Ironberg -
BKViper -
Also, VU :)

W8 gets a free upgrade to 10, which is awesome. Phone Post 3.0
I was actually thinking about delaying my build until 10 came out until I saw that 8.1 came with a free upgrade. That is awesome. Phone Post 3.0

Not a bad build but you spent more than you needed.
The i5 is just as good as the i7 for gaming. Both will be obsolete by the end of the year when skylake is released.
16gb of ram is overkill. 8gb is plenty for every game out.
You spent extra for a CPU that can be overclocked but you didn't get a cooler. The stock cooler won't cut it for overclocking.
The 970 is a good card but some of the new games on ultra can go over the 3.5gb vram even at 1080p which turns the card to shit. Personally I would have went for a R9 290x or waited for the 300 series which will be out in a couple months.

That said your build will still be very good for a 2-3 years.

rookie29 - If you are using it for gaming skip the i7 and go for an i5. Use the difference to buy a 980.

i7 chips have hyperthreading which isn't used in gaming. There is a huge upgrade 970-980. Spend the money on the GPU. Phone Post 3.0
I do a lot more than gaming though, and for all my needs, the i7 fit the wide range of things I'll be doing.
As for the GPU, I got my 970 for $200, during a great holiday sale, where its normally $350. With the 980s being over $500-$600, the difference for me on the benchmarks across all things, games video editing, etc wasn't enough to warrant the price jump.
Especially when if I needed a bump in a year or so, I could SLI in a second 970 for probably $150 at that time.
Personally, I think I've always gone with the second to best card on the market, because the price jump always seems so ridiculous between #1 and #2. Phone Post 3.0

Darup - Not a bad build but you spent more than you needed.
The i5 is just as good as the i7 for gaming. Both will be obsolete by the end of the year when skylake is released.
You spent extra for a CPU that can be overclocked but you didn't get a cooler. The stock cooler won't cut it for overclocking.
The 970 is a good card but some of the new games on ultra can go over the 3.5gb vram even at 1080p which turns the card to shit. Personally I would have went for a R9 290x or waited for the 300 series which will be out in a couple months.

As I said above, I do a lot more than gaming, so there are reasons why the i7 fit me better.
BTW, for CPU cooling, I already have a water system I'll be using that I had from another machine. I forgot to list it, since it wasn't part of my purchase from this week. Phone Post 3.0

white belt - Sounds like pretty hot system. Just curious why Rosewill? Reading reviews on their stuff previously they seemed sketchy. I suppose they all have failures though.
I've used numerous peripherals from them over the years and always been pleased with the results.
Of course, you can find good and bad reviews for every product in existence!
I just go off my personal past experiences. Phone Post 3.0

BKViper - 
Darup - Not a bad build but you spent more than you needed.

As I said above, I do a lot more than gaming, so there are reasons why the i7 fit me better.
BTW, for CPU cooling, I already have a water system I'll be using that I had from another machine. I forgot to list it, since it wasn't part of my purchase from this week. Phone Post 3.0

That makes more sense then. Nice build man!