New Star Trek series next year

I'll watch no matter what, but I hope they don't fuck it up. Anything would be better than Enterprise. This "teaser" already has me worried, just by the look and tone, but maybe I'm being pessimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

"There’s also quite a bit of Star Trek history behind the cameras already, with Hannibal creator Bryan Fuller attached as the showrunner and co-creator of the series. Fuller got his start on television writing for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, and he’s joined by Nicholas Meyer, the writer and director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, who will serve as a writer and consulting producer on the new show.

Along with Fuller and Meyer in both producer and creative roles on the series, Alex Kurtzman (the co-writer of the 2009 Star Trek movie that rebooted the franchise) and Eugene Roddenberry (the son of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry) will serve as executive producers on the show.

Nothing has been confirmed at this point about the plot, but rumors have suggested that the series will be an anthology project of some sort, akin to American Horror Story or Fargo, with each season set in a different point in the Star Trek timeline and featuring different characters and cast members. One particular, unofficial report indicates that the first season of the series will be set in the time between 1991’s Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country — the last film to feature the full cast of the original series — and the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation."

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-tv-series-info/#ixzz497avIlAX

I like the idea of an anthology. The rumored timeframe interests me a lot too.

They should visit the Whale planet! Phone Post 3.0

EluThingol - I like the idea of an anthology. The rumored timeframe interests me a lot too.

Funny you mention that as I was so fascinated by the backstory of the Probe from the whale movie that I made a thread here a while back.

A few OGers dug up some cool info on it. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, they could fill in gaps without having to commit to a multiple year story line. As long as there is some war and some Klingons.

I actually love the idea of an anthology series. It opens up so many interesting ideas. And they have the right people involved

Enterprise was actually really good.

DS9 was the best.

Can't wait Phone Post 3.0

As long as shihhead Berman isn't involved it might be good Phone Post 3.0

Enterprise was ridiculous. It didn't have the feel of a Star Trek show and they were using these hammed up southern accents like they were the Duke's of Hazzard in space. "Gee golly Captain, hows we gonna get this warped drive a-goin?!?!"

Somehow there was technology and villains in the earliest days of humans leaving earth that were far more advanced than ones known about hundreds of years later.

I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining, it just shouldn't have been a Star Trek show. It should have been a stand alone sci-fi show in its own universe.

I'm not usually one to argue these things, but Enterprise aggravated me. Partly because it could have been so good.

Stronghold - As long as shihhead Berman isn't involved it might be good Phone Post 3.0

So much this.

Anthology idea sounds good. Enterprise wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but obviously there was a lot wrong with it.

Just stay the fuck away from time travel.

7 of 9 vs T'Pol  at the Pon farr, nude.

GenericAmerican - Enterprise was ridiculous. It didn't have the feel of a Star Trek show and they were using these hammed up southern accents like they were the Duke's of Hazzard in space. "Gee golly Captain, hows we gonna get this warped drive a-goin?!?!"

Somehow there was technology and villains in the earliest days of humans leaving earth that were far more advanced than ones known about hundreds of years later.

I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining, it just shouldn't have been a Star Trek show. It should have been a stand alone sci-fi show in its own universe.

I'm not usually one to argue these things, but Enterprise aggravated me. Partly because it could have been so good.

Totally agree. And can we talk about the song? That FUCKING FAGGOTY SONG?!?

I hated Enterprise but wanted to love it. Berman and Braga were the "caretakers" of the franchise and should've been respectful of that. Most people walking in off the street would've taken more care not to fuck the continuity or canon of the universe up.

But they decided to fuck up the known first contacts with both the romulans and the borg, gave ZERO FUCKS about stepping on or punting the established history in favor of some cheap story arc (that wasn't good anyway) and generally made a mess of things until it got SO BAD that paramount pulled the plug...and they copped out with a Dallas esque "it was all a dream" gimmick, featuring a tired & fat Riker and a beat Troi on a holodeck.

People bitch about Abrams and his movies but IMO those are waaay more true to the spirit of Star Trek than Enterprise ever was.

MadDog243 - 
GenericAmerican - Enterprise was ridiculous. It didn't have the feel of a Star Trek show and they were using these hammed up southern accents like they were the Duke's of Hazzard in space. "Gee golly Captain, hows we gonna get this warped drive a-goin?!?!"

Totally agree. And can we talk about the song? That FUCKING FAGGOTY SONG?!?

I hated Enterprise but wanted to love it. Berman and Braga were the "caretakers" of the franchise and should've been respectful of that. Most people walking in off the street would've taken more care not to fuck the continuity or canon of the universe up.

But they decided to fuck up the known first contacts with both the romulans and the borg, gave ZERO FUCKS about stepping on or punting the established history in favor of some cheap story arc (that wasn't good anyway) and generally made a mess of things until it got SO BAD that paramount pulled the plug...and they copped out with a Dallas esque "it was all a dream" gimmick, featuring a tired & fat Riker and a beat Troi on a holodeck.

People bitch about Abrams and his movies but IMO those are waaay more true to the spirit of Star Trek than Enterprise ever was.

I liked the song :) But agree on everything else. Why do time travel and Xindi when you had so much backstory you could work on instead? And why did they make Vulcans such pricks?

Ya know, I could see liking the song, but not for the opening titles of a Star Trek show. Even Voyager (which was almost as bad as Enterprise except for 7 of 9 titties) had a stirring, epic Jerry Goldsmith theme.

I was like 17 when enterprise premiered and couldn't fucking believe what I was hearing when that music hit.

But I do agree with your other points. The Xindi were so fucking uninteresting; and a clear (but abysmal) attempt to recreate the Dominion. And I despised the way the Vulcans were portrayed in the show. Yeah they should be a little smug/superior; Spock always was. But they were straight up assholes, and worse, assholes who were usually WRONG. The benevolent humans (you know, the ones who were on the verge of extinction when the Vulcans arrived and gave them warp technology) were always right. Ugh.

Not much to draw from the teaser, but to be honest; Star Trek was only good in the original series. Everything else just follows. It's been a sub part product for 3 decades now. Phone Post 3.0

I hope it's well done. With good writing and the improvement in special effects since the last series this could be great. I love the new movies, especially the look. Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler -
EluThingol - I like the idea of an anthology. The rumored timeframe interests me a lot too.

Funny you mention that as I was so fascinated by the backstory of the Probe from the whale movie that I made a thread here a while back.

A few OGers dug up some cool info on it. Phone Post 3.0
I thought the save the whales story line was added so that Nimoy would direct the movie. Phone Post 3.0

The episode of Enterprise about the green alien slave girls was great, though.

Anyone see Star Trek Continues on YouTube? It's a perfect recreation of TOS. I cried the first time I watched it. Doohan's son even plays Scotty. Phone Post 3.0