New study on weight cutting and performance

Pretty interesting. Cutting 5% of body weight doesn't affect performance if given 4 hours to eat and rehydrate-

J Sports Sci. 2009 Dec 23:1-12. [Epub ahead of print]

Rapid weight loss followed by recovery time does not affect judo-related performance.

Artioli GG, Iglesias RT, Franchini E, Gualano B, Kashiwagura DB, Solis MY, Benatti FB, Fuchs M, Lancha Junior AH.Laboratory of Applied Nutrition.

In this study, we investigated the effects of rapid weight loss followed by a 4-h recovery on judo-related performance. Seven weight-cycler athletes were assigned to a weight loss group (5% body weight reduction by self-selected regime) and seven non-weight-cyclers to a control group (no weight reduction). Body composition, performance, glucose, and lactate were assessed before and after weight reduction (5-7 days apart; control group kept weight stable). The weight loss group had 4 h to re-feed and rehydrate after the weigh-in. Food intake was recorded during the weight loss period and recovery after the weigh-in. Performance was evaluated through a specific judo exercise, followed by a 5-min judo combat and by three bouts of the Wingate test. Both groups significantly improved performance after the weight loss period. No interaction effects were observed. The energy and macronutrient intake of the weight loss group were significantly lower than for the control group. The weight loss group consumed large amounts of food and carbohydrate during the 4-h recovery period. No changes were observed in lactate concentration, but a significant decrease in glucose during rest was observed in the weight loss group. In conclusion, rapid weight loss did not affect judo-related performance in experienced weight-cyclers when the athletes had 4 h to recover. These results should not be extrapolated to inexperienced weight-cyclers

inf0 - These results should not be extrapolated to inexperienced weight-cyclers

^

How the fuck do they know this unless they do the same experiment with the same amount of inexperienced weight-cyclers?

This whole study is suspect.

Because the study was only done with experienced weight cyclers. That doesn't make the study suspect it just defines it's validity.

And yes a group of 14 is a good sample size for this kind of study. Sometimes scientific results are counter intuitive.

inf0 - You can't conclude that experience in weight cutting is what allows them to perform at the same level as non-cutters if you do not also test inexperienced weight cutters with the same methods. How can they say the results should not be extrapolated to inexperienced weight-cyclers if they haven't tried to prove it out?

You are misunderstanding. All they are saying is inexperienced weight cutters may not have the same results. They don't know because inexperienced weight cutters weren't tested. Info, you are actually saying about the same thing the last sentence in the study summary did.

Ryan MacLeod - 14 isn't enough to prove anything. This would be laughed at by any academic worth his salt.

The The Journal of Sports Science and Medicine has distinguished editors and referees. Like I said before, 14 is a good sample size. Take a look at other studies like this. This study may not be the final truth on the subject but it should not be discounted.

I think you'd be likely to take more blows to the head in an MMA match than in a Judo match- and one thing I've heard that's dangerous about weight cutting is that it can intensify brain damage.

can somebody tell me what weight i would have to start at to have %5 end up being 155?

...yes, i'm stupid, thank you.

5% is a relatively easy weight cut. knowing that you can rehydrate 3lbs. of water/hour  no suprise that 4 hours would be plenty of recovery time.

Now try cutting 10% ;-)

donkypunch55 - can somebody tell me what weight i would have to start at to have %5 end up being 155?

...yes, i'm stupid, thank you.

Between about 162 and 167ish, somewhere around there.

5% weight drop isn't too bad.. most pros probably do closer to 10% though (i.e. dropping 15-20ish pounds to fight at 155).

How do you measure judo performance???

Why not do an obstacle course of some type.

I would like to see a within groups design, how does the same athlete perform when he cuts vs when he does not.