New York BJJ - MG / Renzo

Visiting New York from Sydney at the beginning of August.

For any one who trains with MG - can I just drop in ? And does he ever do privates ...

Last time I was at renzos was back in 06 when I'd been training a couple of years. Danaher was on reception and just smiled when I asked who was taking the class - had no idea who he was

Hoping to go back this time and grateful to know whether Renzo teaches there on the regular

Many thanks for any info
Mike Phone Post 3.0

Renzo teaches sporadically. Chances are he won't be teaching when you visit. Phone Post 3.0

I don't attend MG but if u look on their site they have a section for fees and day pass fees and weekly passes are included in that section. It's $140 for 2 weeks I believe idk about the day pass Phone Post 3.0

I've heard that Marcelo has largely gotten away from doing privates or will only do so for an incredible fee. (Rumor has it that he doesn't like them?)

While pinning Renzo down can be a real trick, you'd be a fool to miss Danaher's classes at Renzo's. His M/W/F early morning classes (no-gi) are high-level, both in terms of technique and training partners. Same for his Tu/W/Th/F afternoon (gi) classes, although there is larger attendance and corresponding assortment of ranks.

The real powerhouse class is on Monday afternoon at 1 pm (no-gi). It's unquestionably the largest collection of talent you'll find at any point in time in the city, with a typical class having 15-30 black belts rolling and often many more.

Since mat fees there get you a whole day of classes, I'd strongly consider coming in to Renzo's on a M/W/F and training with John in the morning and the afternoon. If you still have energy, you can get beaten up by Marcelo in the evening!

Dont forget about Shaolin. Tough guys. Old school bjj.

In for knowledge, in going I NY in October for 10 days and will be training almost every day Phone Post 3.0

I went to Marcelo's once and wound up taking a class from Paul S. I didn't know who he was but it wound up being one of the most memorable classes I have ever had. If Marcelo isn't doing
Privates anymore consider one w/ Paul. Phone Post 3.0

fakezaga - I went to Marcelo's once and wound up taking a class from Paul S. I didn't know who he was but it wound up being one of the most memorable classes I have ever had. If Marcelo isn't doing
Privates anymore consider one w/ Paul. Phone Post 3.0
I've heard great things about Paul. Phone Post 3.0

(On MGIA) I think Paul is the better instructor Phone Post 3.0

Marcelo doesnt do privates but take a regular class and theres a good chance you'll get to roll with him which is more valuable than any private.

theres plenty of other top level guys to get privates from at MGA - Paul, Bernardo, Gianni, any of the brown belt dream team.

Marcelo's school is awesome, and Paul is the man! You can't go wrong there.

Both schools suck.  Train anywhere else.

But seriously, if you can take a private with Danaher at Renzo's and one with Paul at Marcelo's.  Both are great teachers.

In Phone Post 3.0

I've heard great things about Paul too. I'd love to swing by Marcelo's if it weren't for "politics".

But if you have the means, I would ABSOLUTELY take a private from Danaher. I've seen two-stripe black belts come out afterwards, shaking their heads like they've just discovered fire.

thanks very much to everyone who responded

I'll get in touch and book with Paul as suggested

after looking up those two schools, are they really located within a few blocks of one another?

One Armed Jack - I've heard great things about Paul too. I'd love to swing by Marcelo's if it weren't for "politics".

But if you have the means, I would ABSOLUTELY take a private from Danaher. I've seen two-stripe black belts come out afterwards, shaking their heads like they've just discovered fire.

A type of politics that I would never care for is one that'd make me miss training at Marcelo's

^ It is a shame that such great grapplers - Marcelo/Renzo/Shaolin and all of their crew are within such close proximity, and do not share and bounce BJJ ideas off each other on a regular basis.

kying418 - ^ It is a shame that such great grapplers - Marcelo/Renzo/Shaolin and all of their crew are within such close proximity, and do not share and bounce BJJ ideas off each other on a regular basis.

Well, Shaolin used to regularly come train at Renzo's as he was starting his school up. He and Ricardo Almeida are good friends and Ricardo'd bring him in to John's classes.

But yeah... it's unfortunate. I know that Marcelo/Renzo/Danaher are all very open-minded guys who love to exchange knowledge, so it seems to be more about tradition and certain other elements.

It's funny, because since I co-instruct/run the Columbia University club, which is unofficially a Renzo affiliate, we regularly send guys to train with Danaher, etc. But several of my students are Marcelo guys, who Jason and I happily teach. So there's this strange dynamic of competing styles and shared information which I think is incredibly healthy.

I took some private lessons w/ Danaher back in the '03 '04 timeframe. he was very good. I also took privates w/ S. Williams. He was also very good. I didn't really care for Renzo, not in a personal way, I just preferred Danaher's lessons. Renzo was Mr. Fun Guy and personable then, but it was just my preference.

I have gone to Faria seminar and I still use a lot of what was taught. he's out of Marcelo's.

delicious bass (Paul at Marcelo's) always gets props from high level and regular joe's alike.

There's something about Marcelo's attitude and demeanor that appeals to me. I've never heard a bad comment about him. ever. his skills are unparalleled and his team is a power house. everyone is a gamer.