New York doing what New York does...

I sometimes wonder what New York will do when they run out of things to ban and legislate...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/state-sen-tony-avella-ban-machetes-new-york-article-1.2120874

The sale of machetes should be outlawed after several recent attacks, a Queens pol said Wednesday.

State Sen. Tony Avella plans to introduce a bill to ban the possession of the scary blades in New York.

“The fact that anyone can easily purchase this potentially lethal tool is just crazy,” he said.

Smaller knives such as switchblades and gravity knives are already banned and listed as deadly weapons under state law, but machetes are considered the same as butcher knives.

New Yorkers carrying those knives can be ticketed for a blade longer than 4 inches, an administrative code violation. They face up to 15 days in jail and a $300 fine.

Under Avella’s proposed legislation, the mere possession of a machete could lead to a year behind bars.

In movies like “Machete,” starring Danny Trejo, it’s the vigilante hero carrying the macho weapons. Not so in real life, however, and Avella’s push comes in response to an attack last summer on Long Island in which, according to authorities, a man hacked a teenager to death.

On his way to being arraigned, the suspect, David Sadler, 45, told reporters he’d bought the weapon on Craigslist.

Police say Sadler slashed Terrance Grier, 17, in the neck with the massive blade during an argument down the block from Sadler’s Hempstead home in July.

“I didn’t even know it was possible to buy a machete online,” Terrance’s mother, Greta Price, told the Daily News. “I had no idea that it wasn’t considered a deadly weapon. It should be.”

Price said she visits her son’s grave two to three times each week, adding, “He’d still be alive today if it wasn’t for a machete.”

Terrance wasn’t New York’s only recent machete victim. In October, an unidentified man was slashed in the neck, back, shoulder and arms during an argument in a Bronx restaurant. After the attack, police released a video showing the suspect pulling the machete from an umbrella.

The legislation is the second in a series of law enforcement measures recently proposed by Avella.

The lawmaker also wants to create a new criminal charge for suspects who vandalize police vehicles. That bill is in response to damage done to patrol cars in Brooklyn after a Staten Island grand jury voted not to indict a police officer in the July 17 chokehold death of Eric Garner.

But I don't have a machete, I have a barong, a kukri, a smatchet and a panga, but no machete.

Where's the NRA on this? The right to bear arms doesn't specify guns!!!!!!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

That's not a knife, this is a knife. Phone Post 3.0

Angrydannytrejo.jpg Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 - 

They also wanted to ban yoga pants in Montana.

Yep. Equally stupid... Well, actually the yoga pants ban idea is probably more so.

Ridiculous.

Z NEDCMK1 - 

They also wanted to ban yoga pants in Montana.

Yeah but Yoga pants only lead to the killing of kittens, not people.

Don't see this going too far. Just as easy to kill with a hammer or crowbar so their argument is pretty weak.

Bottom line is, if u want to kill someone, you will make a weapon if u have to.

Banning knives from prisons didn't really stop the stabbings... Phone Post 3.0

I guess I'll be telling law enforcement that it's not a machete, but a historically accurate, multicultural flora and vegetation clearing device replica.

"suspect pulling the machete from an umbrella."

I think they still sell an umbrella where the shaft is essentially a steel bar allowing you to use it as a club. Are they going to ban umbrellas next?

NYC fucking sucks and Ive lived here my entire life Phone Post 3.0

Ban knives! Phone Post 3.0

Only slightly related.

When I was in the Army stationed just south of the Canadian border there were a lot of last minute trips up into our northern neighbor. We were supposed to fill out a form, I can't remember what it was called, in order to go into Canada since we were leaving the country even though we would only be 30-45 minutes away from base.

Anyways, like I said, many were last minute trips so we didn't have time to get approved for a pass. We just went and hoped we didn't get into any trouble. We had a core group of 4 plus this 5th guy that I hated (and he hated me) but he didn't drink and he had an SUV so the other guys brought him along a lot of the time.

So we are on one of these unauthorized trips one weekend and when we get to the border this fucking meatball answers the question of are you guys leaving anything in Canada with a "yeah, some American babies if you know what I mean. Ha ha ha ha ha". The border agent, clearly not amused, decides that he wants to have us pull over and go inside for additional searches and questioning because they have been having a problem with soldiers brining drugs into Canada.

As we pull away from the window to drive up to the designated area for additional searches this fucking meatball decides to say "hey guys, I'm sorry, but I just really hope they don't find the machete that's hidden under the rear seat. WE about lost our fucking minds. Why the fuck would you be carrying a machete in your vehicle and on the way through the border no less.

We were furious and obviously sweating balls. Absent without leave, carrying a weapon into Canada, no pussy that night. It was a tense 45 minutes. But then after they determined we were just 4 dudes and a retard trying to get some Canadian vagina they let us go. Somehow they missed the machete and I promised my "friend" that if he ever did something stupid (both the comments and the weapon) again he'd being removing that machete from his rectum.

"I sometimes wonder what New York will do when they run out of things to ban and legislate..."

lol truth

Wha... wut  tha... WTF!? I thought  this was going to be a thread telling us all about how much better your city and pizza is because of the water...  I thought thats what you do

“He’d still be alive today if it wasn’t for a machete."

Or possibly a lunatic hellbent on killing him with whatever weapon of opportunity he could lay his hands on.

What is it about our society that so many feel the need to blame inanimate objects for everything rather than address the real issues? Phone Post 3.0