newbie questions

Happy Holidays to all :)

I wanted to ask the forum some questions related to street self defense. I have no experience in this area so any info is appreciated :)

What do you think about standing wristlocks? Can you pull this off against a resisting opponent? Strong opponent?

From a defense perpsective, what is your reaction to someone grabbing you by the collar or lapel? Would you go for those wristlocks or throws or would you rather strike him to relinquish the hold? And what if he starts punching you like in a hockey fight?

From an offensive perspective, would you grab/control someone by the collar and try and punch them with your free hand? Is that hand/arm you are using to grab the person really in danger of getting wristlocked or thrown?

Similarly, what about going for throws (like judo) in a streetfight? Or would you rather use standard greco/freestyle wrestling takedowns?

Thanks all! Take care.

I have found that wristlocks work very well on the ground when you have control over your opponent's body and limb. I have had little success using wristlocks when both people were standing. Although, they have entered the mix before and resulted in a takedown or at least improving your position. Hopefully Luis G. or someone else from the forum can shed some light on this on this subject for you. Persoanlly, I would not spend much time training them.

From experience the only thing standing wristlocks do is really make someone mad. Ive used them to get on the ground to get cuffs on.

As far as Judo and collar grabs I have used Uki Goshi and Morote Seoinage.

the only person I have ever met in my life
who could make standing wristlocks work in a
boxing/kickboxing/stand up fighting environment was
Roy Harris. He's the only one I have ever seen do it.

Emen,

For wrist locks to work well, they must be surrendered through some sort of compliance and that simply means either the person does not initially resist or they are driven towards non resistance via some type of "motivational" pressure(s). Wrist locks are therefore typically used on the passive resistor or once the person is secured and stabilized and poses little threat.

Also, most wrist locks begin with the element of pain compliance and if used on someone on drugs or perhaps not taking their prescription drugs, you just took them even further from acknowledging any concrete reality let alone one small portion of their physical body. An aggressive resisting energy bent on hurting you or escaping you will willingly give up a wrist to thrash you senseless or brake free and run.

Another point to keep in mind is that career criminals also know how to counter them well and in our ISR for LE system we show cops what we learned from the cons. So its better all around to train and work from positions of advantage at all "ranges" that allow for you to work on greater leverage and options regardless of your goals.

As to cloth....

Yes in-deed a major factor in self-defense and great fun for sport and recreation as well. As the gi changes the Jits game so does it the clinch & striking world. Its actually a big part of our civilian self defense and security personnel curriculums.

Clothing increases your options ten fold if you train them correctly. Judo and Sambo players for example are trained to throw and trip right of the grip and this can not be appreciated enough unless you train with them. They fight for grips first and foremost long before any pummeling for position. In fact, the reality of clothing being a factor allows them to grip early in any closing and control the distance immediately. Tie ups allow for off balancing immediately and happen upon any contact.

One of the biggest difference in the clinch game that grips create is the ability to lock out an arm. This secured "pike" creates a power transfer arm, and secures and set ups immediate triangle points for sweeps, reaps, trips, and throws.

These set ups work even better when you are setting them all up with a bit of hockey style attached striking. The idea with attached striking also requires an added awareness to optimal grips that require slight variations to the typical collar and sleeve grips. You want to secure yourself to remain in position to give more than you take. After all, you want to be sportsmanlike no?

Hope some of this helps to answer your questions,

-Luis

www.onedragon.com

Thanks Luis and all for your responses. Anyone know a website or reference that shows more of the clinch/grip game as Luis described?