Newborn son has jaundice, back in the hospital...

FYI- this is a bit FRAT

So my wife gave birth to our son last Monday, and we were discharged from the hospital on Wednesday. We had a follow up appointment with our pediatrician on Thursday where they did a blood test. The test showed elevated bilirubin levels, otherwise known as jaundice. His levels continued to elevate into Friday and the doc made the call to send the boy to the NICU.

We only had him home with us for 2 days before we had to take him back to the hospital. What really sucked was that we couldn't stay with him in the NICU. It was hard to leave him behind after just getting him home.

They started light/photo treatment and also had him hooked up to an IV and all kinds of monitors. At first he didn't respond to the light treatment and the doc started talking about maybe needing to do a blood transfusion. This is out first child and hearing 'blood transfusion' freaked us out.

Any hoo - the lil guy started responding to the treatment finally and his bilirubin levels have been dropping. If all continues to go well we should be take him back home tonight!

Just needed to spew that out, thanks for listening OG. Phone Post 3.0

My kiddo was in the hospital for 7 days with jaundice... It will all work itself out, they had mine under a mini tanning booth.

Grats on the kiddo.

SLOtownG - Congrats op. Glad he looks to be coming back home soon. Phone Post
Thank you. We are looking forward to having him home again. Phone Post 3.0

I BACKHANDED MY DAUGHTER UNTIL SHE STOPPED HAVING IT.

YOU HAVE TO BE A PARENT NOT A FRIEND.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS GLAD YOU KID IS DOING WELL BRO.

Loadin76 -

My kiddo was in the hospital for 7 days with jaundice... It will all work itself out, they had mine under a mini tanning booth.

Grats on the kiddo.

Thank you. Our little boy was in the tanning booth as well. It just kind of freaked us out as first-time parents. Phone Post 3.0

BIGWHITESEXY - I BACKHANDED MY DAUGHTER UNTIL SHE STOPPED HAVING IT.

YOU HAVE TO BE A PARENT NOT A FRIEND.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS GLAD YOU KID IS DOING WELL BRO.
I thought about trying that… Phone Post 3.0

Congrats man!   He'll be home soon.

Not too uncommon, but everything freaks you out the first time around especially. Congrats, all will be well!

Glad to hear he's on mend,congratulations. Phone Post 3.0

glad to hear he is responding to the treatment and no further things like the transfusion were needed

Congrats, man.  Same thing happened to my kid.

GiarcDrofwarc - 
Loadin76 -

Grats on the kiddo.

Thank you. Our little boy was in the tanning booth as well. It just kind of freaked us out as first-time parents. Phone Post 3.0

yeah it's wierd they didn't let you stay... they wheeled in the mini tanning booth and we got to spend the 7 days hunkered down sleeping on cots.

Glad the little tyke is on the mend.

Congrats bro. Same thing happened to my boy. We had to take home a UV blanket and keep it on him 24 hours a day for about a week. It was stressful at the time but a distant memory now. Phone Post 3.0

My kid was born at just under 24 weeks at 1 lb 3 oz. He spent like a month under the tanning bed and had a few transfusions. Little dude is a straight up warrior now, 6lbs 12oz and home with the family after 3+ months in NICU. Me and my wife can still here all the beeping noises from the hosptial in our sleep lol

Sagiv Lapkin -

Congrats man!   He'll be home soon.

Thanks Sagiv! We're looking forward to it Phone Post 3.0

Both my kids had to do the same thing. Luckily we could stay with them. I was OBSESSIVE about making sure the little mask covering their eyes stayed in place. Don't think I got a hour of sleep for the 2-3 days they were in the light box.

Yeah congrats!

My kid spent 6 days in the tanning booth. He's perfectly alright now. I know it's a stressful time right now but your little guy will be just fine.

Mine had jaundice pretty bad and for awhile. We took her to the dr and each time got blood work etc. It was getting pretty scary. Then the dr said for 3 days(something around there) do not breastfeed, just use formula. Wouldnt you know that cleared it all up. The she could go right back to brestfeeding. Was a major relief.

Loadin76 -
GiarcDrofwarc - 
Loadin76 -

Grats on the kiddo.

yeah it's wierd they didn't let you stay... they wheeled in the mini tanning booth and we got to spend the 7 days hunkered down sleeping on cots.

That was the worst part. They were like "we've got him, go home and relax". We were like "go home? Relax?!"

Feeling much better about it now. Phone Post 3.0