Next evolution in MMA Techniques?

When I first started following NHB in the old days (94/95) it was generally accepted that kicks didn't work except for low kicks. This was heart breaking for me as I was a big karate practising Van Damme fan. Eventually things changed, there was a few high profile head kick knockouts (Mo Smith vs Conan, Pete Williams vs Coleman) eventually kicking became a big part of the game. Fast forward to 2013 where we have seen several spinning heel kick ko's and numerous head kick Ko's on the main cards of UFC events. Nobody would have believed that this was possible back in the mid 90's. We were told that these techniques didn't/ would never work. Karate/TKD/kick-boxing(not muay thai) people were told to pack up there sh@t and go home.
What techniques/systems that are currently thought of as unworkable will be the next to be widely used in MMA competition? Wing Chun Trapping? Berimbolo sweeps? Pressure Point Knockouts?

Anything danwolfman shows

Dim Mak

Maybe Maia's submission game plus athleticism, or more generally, more efficient TD - pass - subs from top.

spinning techniques are used more and more, most guys at least have 1 spinning technique, they generate a lot of power.

using the cage offensively, we will see more of it I think.

better footwork across the board, knees to a grounded opponent might become legal.

next evolution could be having enough experience/balls to actually throw a combination when you are close enough to hit/get hit, instead of shadowboxing for awhile.

Mcgregor style counter striking. Read Jack Slacks article on him. Or was it a video? Phone Post

The shoulder roll.

I'm so tired of hearing MMA Fans say this could never work in MMA. It absolutely can. They always say because you cant defend kicks...look dummies if you can keep an overhand right thrown at the shoulder out of range with the shoulder roll you can easily keep a high kick thrown at the waist out of range.

I think MMA fans are very defensive when it comes to boxing so they discredit many of the techniques they see at the upper levels to proclaim they wouldnt work in a real fight. In 2006 people here were arguing with me that you couldn't use a jab the way you do in boxing. lol

If you look at the pattern that has emerged in the past the things that usually trigger the next evolution of techniques in MMA are techniques that most of the MMA community thought were irrelevant and ineffective. So lets look at things that many consider to be on there way out in MMA currently.
The biggest thing that comes to mind to me at least is the guard. Most think that the guard is ineffective as anything other than a last ditch survival necessity. Some go as far to say that the guard is dead in high level MMA. IMO the next wave of evolution in MMA will come from fighters who in addition to having excellent striking and wrestling also have a killer ninja assassin guard. Think Shinya Aoki with a much, much better all around game or Anderson Silva with an even BETTER attacking guard that's finely tuned for MMA.

Just my two cents. Phone Post 3.0

The sport Karate style of Michael Venom Page maybe? who knows

I'm more excited about self defense. How far can MMA go if there are really no rules?

I GOT WEE'D ON BY WEIDMAN -

Anything danwolfman shows

Lol Phone Post

I'd say maybe a few of the following:

1. The Axe Kick.
2. Feints and combo kicks (snap low to roundhouse high)
3. more and more higher amplitude throws.
4. a simple and effective takedown from that over/under against the fence. People are there SO often that when someone finally finds an effective and simple way to get the takedown, that will eliminate that position of stalling and thigs will adapt to it again.
5. Trapping. Just Kidding.
6. I'm kind of making these up based on what I HOPE will happen (save for #4, I think that actually will), I actually assume more and more people will learn a better way to use the scoring and judges until more and more fights are so boring I cry.

The side kick. shots to the body.

jumping kicks.

The Loge - If you look at the pattern that has emerged in the past the things that usually trigger the next evolution of techniques in MMA are techniques that most of the MMA community thought were irrelevant and ineffective. So lets look at things that many consider to be on there way out in MMA currently.
The biggest thing that comes to mind to me at least is the guard. Most think that the guard is ineffective as anything other than a last ditch survival necessity. Some go as far to say that the guard is dead in high level MMA. IMO the next wave of evolution in MMA will come from fighters who in addition to having excellent striking and wrestling also have a killer ninja assassin guard. Think Shinya Aoki with a much, much better all around game or Anderson Silva with an even BETTER attacking guard that's finely tuned for MMA.

This issue is the judging - I'm sure in Bjj class tons of high level guys have great guards, but in front of boxing judges they know that no matter how much danger they'd put their opponents in from guard these judges will still give the round to the guy on top.
Until judging / the scoring system changes a guy hugging from on top and defending subs will 100% still get the round points - which guides the strategies of the point fighters to get takedowns and not do much with it because they know they'll point-win

If yellow cards were brought in and judges that at bare minimum understood what danger on the ground looks like - we'd see more active higher quality guarding, passing, subs and gnp from both top and bottom position Phone Post 3.0

The "sweep"

LIke Akiyama's on Shields or the one's Lyoto has in his arsenal

Punches and kicks with the foot to the ankle.
Forearms with sweeping using the ankle/achilles area to the ankle/achilles of the opponent.
Elbows/upper arms with knee/thigh bumps.

Master the long mid and short range sweeps, integrate into striking arsenal and just mow MFers down right into vicious GNP or submission before the body hits the floor.

Submission success is going down, because everyone is more well rounded. Phone Post 3.0

Oontyex - 
The Loge - If you look at the pattern that has emerged in the past the things that usually trigger the next evolution of techniques in MMA are techniques that most of the MMA community thought were irrelevant and ineffective. So lets look at things that many consider to be on there way out in MMA currently.

This issue is the judging - I'm sure in Bjj class tons of high level guys have great guards, but in front of boxing judges they know that no matter how much danger they'd put their opponents in from guard these judges will still give the round to the guy on top.
Until judging / the scoring system changes a guy hugging from on top and defending subs will 100% still get the round points - which guides the strategies of the point fighters to get takedowns and not do much with it because they know they'll point-win

If yellow cards were brought in and judges that at bare minimum understood what danger on the ground looks like - we'd see more active higher quality guarding, passing, subs and gnp from both top and bottom position Phone Post 3.0

Great post. The reason it's not effective in MMA is because it's not focused on as much as other areas (takedowns, striking). The reason it's not focused on is because the only way to win from there is with a decisive victory, unlike striking where you can win just by being active.

One of the things I've noticed lately sneaking in by a few guys is savage elbows mixed in beautifully with mid range punching... The best example I can think of was Nate Marquart vs Tyron Woodley... Its hard to train elbows in sparring so its hard to see them coming or know how to react to any of them. Not to mention the timing is completely different.

I think Machida type standing sweeps should be,but whether guy's start to train it is another matter. Kicks like the spinning kick and straight up the middle front kick are being used more because, 1: They present a new angle of attack and 2: Fighters are less afraid to use them if they are confident in their ground game,whether to get back up or submit the guy.

I think we will start to see a bigger rise in good footwork. It is paramount to have good footwork now.

I'm hoping a more effective type guard will come along.

Creativity on the fly like Sakuraba and Anderson have displayed is underestimated.

More leg submissions. Oliveira's calf slicer was awesome.