NFL: Hire a black coach, move up 6 spots in draft

According to NFL.com’s insider report:

If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the Draft preceding the coach’s second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump ten spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.

If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots — six for the coach, 10 for the GM — and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team’s fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the Draft preceding the coach’s or GM’s third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

Officials hope that these new measures will increase the number of minorities in key positions. Currently, only three of the NFL’s 32 teams have black head coaches, and only two of 32 GM positions were filled by a black candidate.

NFL.com added:

Under the proposed resolution, clubs would be prohibited from the end of the regular season to March 1 from denying an assistant coach the opportunity to interview with a new team for a “bona fide” coordinator position on offense, defense, or special teams. Any dispute about the legitimacy of the position would be heard by the commissioner, and his determination would be “final, binding and not subject to further review.”

If a minority assistant left to become a coordinator elsewhere, his former club would receive a fifth-round compensatory pick. And if a person of color leaves to become a head coach or general manager, his previous team would receive a third-round compensatory pick.

Yet a third proposal would give a team a compensatory pick at the end of the fourth round in the NFL Draft if they hire a minority candidate for its quarterbacks coach, and he serves for an entire season.

If passed, these will be the first rules to address the need for minority coaches since the Rooney Rule was adopted in 2003.

The Rooney Rule is a league policy named after late Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who helped draft the NFL rule that requires any team looking for a new head coach or team executive must interview at least one minority candidate for consideration.

Each white player they draft they move up 6 more spots also.

21 Likes

I'm not sure I'm ok with this. What if you hire black gay woman....would you get a free ticket to the playoffs?

3 Likes

kungfugrip -

I'm not sure I'm ok with this. What if you hire black gay woman....would you get a free ticket to the playoffs?

They just hand you the Lombardi.

1 Like

Can you game the system and hire both coach and exec, get picks, And immediately fire them and have a competitive selection that is just based on merit. 

2 Likes

Belicheat just showed them his ancestry.com profile with 3% North African.

1 Like

Hire this guy for a coach and you get a free superbowl win! 

1 Like

Hope covid keeps sports shut down for ten years.

6 Likes

woke

2 Likes

Slap Johnson -

Can you game the system and hire both coach and exec, get picks, And immediately fire them and have a competitive selection that is just based on merit. 

"Under the proposal, aimed at fixing diversity problems leaguewide, a team could improve its third-round draft selection by up to 16 picks -- going up 10 spots for hiring a minority candidate as general manager or an equivalent-level position and six spots for hiring a minority head coach."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29180225/nfl-proposal-improve-draft-picks-minority-hires

TeamEvilBadGuys -
kungfugrip -

They just hand you the Lombardi.

Of course the trophy for winning the super bowl is named after a white cis man. They should change the name to that of a trans person of color. 

3 Likes

What do I get for a white wide receiver? How about a QB under 5-11? Can I still use mexicans to clean the lockerroom if I let them kick extra points? Soccer of course.

Trade African American management around to benefit the white owners organizations eh? Surprised they haven’t called this something related to slave trade and demanded ownership spots by now 

Do you get 18 points for every white guy that scores a TD ?

1 Like

Lions need to get Jim Caldwell back ASAP

So, there’s 3 black coaches out of 32 teams. That’s a bit under 10% of the league. African Americans make up 12% of the population. So, why can’t the makeup of the league coaches mirror that of the population? Just hire a couple more and you’re good. Giving teams incentives to hire a certain color coach just screams racism to me. I prefer merit based positions. If I were black and hired just because of me skin color, I’d be pissed. 

7 Likes

So let me get this right, the owners are the ones not hiring minority candidates.

Yet the owners are making this rule to incentivize hiring minority candidates.

So they are just providing incentives to themselves as if saying, "Well, if I gotta hire a minority, I'm going to want a better draft pick" as if it's a handicap, and holy fuck how do they not see that's how people are going to see it?

4 Likes

Honestly, this is insulting to African American coaches. Now if they get hired are they going to think it wasn’t on their merit?

3 Likes

Black privilege 

3 Likes

Hilldo -

So, there’s 3 black coaches out of 32 teams. That’s a bit under 10% of the league. African Americans make up 12% of the population. So, why can’t the makeup of the league coaches mirror that of the population? Just hire a couple more and you’re good. Giving teams incentives to hire a certain color coach just screams racism to me. I prefer merit based positions. If I were black and hired just because of me skin color, I’d be pissed. 

Literally ONE more black coach would make it perfectly representative of the population.  They act like they are grossly underrepresented. Any time blacks are underrepresented, even by a tiny fraction, society acts like it's a big problem, except of course when they are underrepresented as the criminal in an ADT commercial.

Black people have to be overrepresented everywhere positive or it doesn't count.

1 Like