Ngannou shouldn't be in P4P rankings

As the new champ I understand that outlets will have him in lists of the P4P best fighters, but I'd argue that this is a mistake. If I understand the P4P concept correctly (and it's a stupid one), only fighters with transferrable skills deserve a spot among the P4P best. Fun to watch as FN is, he just doesn't seem very skilled for a professional. A fighter at welterweight with his skillset and relative power might not even be in the UFC. Ngannou's effectiveness is a phenomenon of his size and as such, shouldn't be in the P4P conversation.

3 Likes

You could argue the same for every other HW fighter. 

I don’t think people really understand the concept of p4p rankings. Records and legacy aren’t supposed to count. If everyone was the same size, who would be the best? 

If Petyr Yan was 265 lbs, nobody would even touch him for example.

1 Like
Uhtred Ragnarson -

I don’t think people really understand the concept of p4p rankings. Records and legacy aren’t supposed to count. If everyone was the same size, who would be the best? 

Yep, they really don’t get it lol 

flyboy91 -

You could argue the same for every other HW fighter. 

And you should. None of them should be in the p4p discussion just like women.

I thought p4p had sth to do with skill.

1 Like

In boxing which heavyweight is considered top 10 p4p? Probably none

A not very skilled fighter is smashing everyone including the greatest UFC heavyweight ever. Mmmmkay pumpkin. 

1 Like
dinkledorf -

Careful now..

1 Like

P4P is a joke anyway

Uhtred Ragnarson -

Aljo would beat him convincingly again, regardless of weight.

1 Like
Samoa -

A not very skilled fighter is smashing everyone including the greatest UFC heavyweight ever. Mmmmkay pumpkin. 

This.
1 Like
Samoa -

Yes and I'm arguing that skill matters far less the larger a man you are. At a certain point enough KO power is like having a gun

1 Like
dinkledorf - 

When there are good dominant ones. IMO it still comes down to your resume and how dominant you are in your this #1 Canelo, #2 Inoue etc. Is that based on who beats who or who has done more?

sekundarburnes -
Samoa -

Yes and I'm arguing that skill matters far less the larger a man you are. At a certain point enough KO power is like having a gun

Skills does matter less when you’re in a division where glancing blows will put your lights out. I’m saying he has knocked out The Who’s who in this division minus one guy. He has skills as well as power. See his earlier loss. That’s a TOTALLY different skill set. 

1 Like

P4P is gay. Who cares about subjective hypotheticals? 

it exists purely for nerds to argue over. Serves no other purpose. 

Yeah, if he was not so big and strong no way he’d be champ, or even in the top 10. He may not even make the cut to even be in the UFC if not for his size and strength.

knot eye - 
Uhtred Ragnarson -

Aljo would beat him convincingly again, regardless of weight.

You mean Yan would disqualify himself convincingly again?

1 Like
sekundarburnes -

As the new champ I understand that outlets will have him in lists of the P4P best fighters, but I'd argue that this is a mistake. If I understand the P4P concept correctly (and it's a stupid one), only fighters with transferrable skills deserve a spot among the P4P best. Fun to watch as FN is, he just doesn't seem very skilled for a professional. A fighter at welterweight with his skillset and relative power might not even be in the UFC. Ngannou's effectiveness is a phenomenon of his size and as such, shouldn't be in the P4P conversation.

I agree. I watch Ngannou and of course he's huge and has monstrous power but he still lacks relative basic skill set. He's improved obviously but his skill level honestly does not impress me at all at this point.. 

when I heard Ngannou/Lewis 2 mentioned by Dana I was like meh.. both Ngannou and Lewis are basically anti-technique fighters and just depend on landing a knockout punch .. 

I mean, if Ngannou keeps winning and keeps his streak alive for a few more years then he should be on the list 

You could not as easily make my argument about DC or Stipe. They have actual skills and use techniques that you see all over among the best of every other division.

I don’t think there’s one clear universally accepted criteria for p4p, big guys aren’t as skilled, nimble etc as the smaller guys but when talking about p4p it seems like people talk about the smaller guys becoming bigger and automatically becoming bigger and stronger, but why not assume for p4p that Francis automatically becomes faster and with better endurance