Nice Sherdog piece on REFEREEING for UFC on VS

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/One-Mans-View-Official-Folly-33515

This was both incisive and funny, which are my two favorite qualities in an article. This is just the first half of it that I thought I'd share:

Dear Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission: your referees are not up to snuff.

Spurious commentary and irritating chatter are not in a referee’s job description, but you would not have known it on Sunday. Referee Chip Snider, bursting with all kinds of information, would not shut up during the fights to which he was assigned. Overall, the UFC Live 4 event had a level of refereeing that looked like something from 2005 instead of the evolved officiating we expect today.

A referee has a specific set of responsibilities, and these include verbal warnings to remind fighters of the rules, as well as the occasional reminder to pick up the action during an exceptionally slow fight or to warn of an impending standup. The latter two responsibilities are often where a referee shows how much he or she knows or does not know about MMA -- the ebb and flow of a fight are entirely up to a referee’s discretion in terms of whether that makes palatable action. For the most part, inexperienced refs tend to be excessively involved.

In addition to constantly badgering Tyson Griffin and Manny Gamburyan during their bout, Snider failed to open his mouth during the one opportunity he had to enforce the rules, as he let Charles “do Bronx” Oliveira get away with booming illegal knee on a clearly downed Nik Lentz. It was so blatant, the crowd booed immediately, but Snider apparently missed it, even though he was positioned to call it for the foul that it was.

Referees make mistakes, but when they make mistakes and follow that with the kind of showing Snider had in Griffin-Gamburyan, it becomes obvious the Pennsylvania commission has some work to do in telling refs why they are in the cage. It is not to badger and harass fighters every few seconds, nor offer informal commentary, both of which Snider did incessantly through the three-round bout.

Here are some examples, with my observations, where appropriate:

• In the first round, as the duo are tied up against the cage ...

Snider: Let’s throw some leather!

Me: Are takedowns OK, too?

• At the beginning of the second round ...

Snider: Come on! Let’s do it again.

Me: No kidding. They’re going to fight beyond a round? A genius observation, sir.

• With 4:35 left in the second round ...

Snider: Come on boys. Let’s get it going. Let’s get some action.

• Later in the second round, when Gamburyan lands a punch ...

Snider: There you go. That’s what I want to see. Come on.

Me: Who asked what tactics you want to see?

• With 3:10 left, Gamburyan misses a shot ...

Snider: That a way. Keep doing that. Keep fighting like that.

Me: Are you Gamburyan’s father?

The questionable stand ups in Mitrione x Morecraft are also touched on.

very interesting, thanks uj

Refs trying to kill the sport as much as judges...........

^My pleasure.

Many are under the false impression that a referee is there to "push the action!"; which is completely up to the fighters.

The ref is there for two reasons:

1. Fighter Safety

2. To prevent and identify rules being broken

When there is a painfully drawn out stalemate, sure, a ref can call for action and then stand them up if they don't respond, but that was NOT the case we saw.

Also, with "Chatty" Chip Snider constantly yapping useless commands, if I were a fighter, I would tune him out. You don't want fighters tuning out the referee in case he actually makes a COMMAND or WARNING, i.e. "does part of his real job".

So you have a dillemma for the fighters in that they either listen to the ref and become distracted because he's giving a play-by-play of what they should do, or you ignore him, which has obvious downfalls.

I read the whole article. Agree 100% Phone Post

nice...

Hi Uncle!

illini89i -  I read the whole article. Agree 100% Phone Post

Yeah, it's not often I agree with every single point of a judging/reffing article.

Hi Romo!   :)

Very nice to see I am inspiring more than just my beloved Dallas...

I read that thread this morning, and agreed on everything, and also appreciated that you gave Big Dan respect for his split-second call (which I thought was top-notch refereeing).

BTD did great in the main event, in hindsight I wish I hadn't put the backhandedness in the complimentary part about him...he did a very good job in a tough split second situation.

BTW UJ can you dial Lembo on the batphone and see exactly what he has to say about Marquardt's testimony today and what led him to clear Marquardt to fight in March?

jjj2121 -  Very nice to see I am inspiring more than just my beloved Dallas...

You might not believe this.. but it actually has way more to do with the Sherdog article rather than your thread.

Let me throw in Matheny screaming at people to get up like he just discovered a pair of hobos getting it on behind a dumpster. When Dana said the PSAC was the best AC in the country, I genuinely thought he was being sarcastic at first... easily one of the most annoying nights of official interference in UFC ever

ttt

smoogy - Let me throw in Matheny screaming at people to get up like he just discovered a pair of hobos getting it on behind a dumpster. When Dana said the PSAC was the best AC in the country, I genuinely thought he was being sarcastic at first... easily one of the most annoying nights of official interference in UFC ever

Dana was refering to the hahndling of the Nate steroidsterone issue.

The reffing was attrocious. Matheny should be fired.