Nicholas Cage is Broke

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/19/how-nicholas-cage-once-blew-his-entire-150-million-fortune.html

Nicholas Cage once blew $150 million on a private island and a dinosaur skull—here's everything he bought

Emmie Martin | @emmiemartin 

10:30 AM ET Sat, 20 Jan 201

Best known for his roles in movies such as "National Treasure" and "Leaving Las Vegas," Nicolas Cage was once a top earner in Hollywood, worth $150 million.

But Cage didn't hold on to his fortune for long. He squandered it away on a string of expensive and often eccentric purchases, eventually facing foreclosure on several properties and owing the IRS $6.3 million in property taxes.

Now worth around $25 million, Cage is taking roles left and right to help pay off his debts.

As chronicled in CNBC's "The Filthy Rich Guide," here's a glimpse at some of Cage's craziest purchases.

Cage once owned 15 residences, including a $25 million waterfront home in Newport Beach, California, a $15.7 million countryside estate in Newport, Rhode Island, and an $8.5 million abode in Las Vegas, pictured below.

He also purchased, for $3.4 
million, the infamous LaLaurie mansion in New Orleans, known as one of the most haunted houses in America.

Over in Europe, Cage purchased not one but two castles for $10 million and $2.3 million, respectively.

$3 million got him a deserted island in the Bahamas.

He also sprung for a nine-foot-tall burial tomb.

And even bought shrunken pygmy heads.

He blew $450,000 on the late shah of Iran's Lamborghini ....

... and another $150,000 on a pet octopus.

He spent yet another $150,000 on the first Superman comic.

Allegedly, Cage also once outbid fellow actor Leonardo DiCaprio for a 7-million-year-old dinosaur skull. The $276,000 artifact turned out to be stolen, however, and Cage had to return it to the Mongolian government

Maybe not broke but desperate

What an idiot.

Didn't he also make $20 million for a Superman film that he got casted in, but never got made?

He paid 1.2 million dollars for Action Comics #1

Broke..? Again..?

Sounds like he’s living life.  I’ll allow it.

"Broke"

But not in a sense of what "broke" means for normal people.

I never really understood buying a bunch of houses that you rarely stay in

I loved him in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

It seems this story pops up every now and again when a publication seemingly needs clicks. 

Still one hell of a way to spend money. His problem wasn't spending the money, it was grossly overpaying for everything he bought. 

The castles in europe were purportedly in horrendous condition and basically to unsafe to enter. 

6.3 million in property tax. Holy fuck that’s a lot of property. 

Hocky -

Best fry guy ever. 

Hocky -

Adaptation is my favorite Nicolas Cage movie...

What do you do with 15 houses???

He's not broke. Lol at that. I was staying at the same hotel as him this weekend in Park City (St. Regis) where he was doing his best to look conspicuously inconspicuous. Broke people don't stay at $2,000/nt hotels.

he's been in a ton of shitty movies lately.  i think he has 8 or so shit movies on neflix from the last few years.

cfochs -

What an idiot.

Didn't he also make $20 million for a Superman film that he got casted in, but never got made?

There's a cool documentary about that movie.

mojodmonky -

He's not broke. Lol at that. I was staying at the same hotel as him this weekend in Park City (St. Regis) where he was doing his best to look conspicuously inconspicuous. Broke people don't stay at $2,000/nt hotels.

Subtle brag... 

That SNL routine was great. Nice to see famous guys able to poke fun at themselves. Sounds crazy to blow that much money but he seems like a cool guy.

Paramount Donkey - What do you do with 15 houses???

You pay a shitload in property taxes.