"Nick Diaz on his last legs with Strikeforce"

the hashashin reference isn't exactly scientific proof that marijuana is at all a performance enhancer, even when used directly before the competition.

You don't have to agree wether the rules are fair or not, the fact is it's banned substance for every fighter. The Compassion Act allows for a defence against prosecution, it's not a legalisation of it. Every fighter should know the rules and until they are changed Diaz is in the wrong.

HexRei - the hashashin reference isn't exactly scientific proof that marijuana is at all a performance enhancer, even when used directly before the competition.

No, by itself it's not, I used that fact to show this topic's pervasiveness over time.

But its pain muting and fear reducing properties in cannot be refuted. That is why I believe it's usage directly before competition could be an unfair advantage, but weeks out, not so much

It's an illegal drug !!!!! Who cares that it may not be performance enhancing.

Forget that crap about legal in CA with a prescription, that has yet to be tested up through the Supreme Court.

Altofsky - No excuse for this. I'd like to see someone get on here and try to make a case for him.

Bottom line is that he needs to grow up, act like a professional for once in his life, and decide between a plant and a career. Not that tough a decision to make.

No....he needs to represent the 209.

Caspersghost - You don't have to agree wether the rules are fair or not, the fact is it's banned substance for every fighter. The Compassion Act allows for a defence against prosecution, it's not a legalisation of it. Every fighter should know the rules and until they are changed Diaz is in the wrong.

Technically, you are correct, but your argument is similar to those who felt slavery was fine because it was legal at one time. It is un-evolved and uninformed.

So you don't think fighters should be allowed to take doctor prescribed opiate based painpills at any time before a fight?

Marinol is legal anywhere a doctor has prescribed it, and would still lead to the same result.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick did this to start the discussion towards amending the rules. I don't think any level headed individual believes that these athletes should NEVER, AT ANY TIME, be allowed to take any substances that are on the banned list prior to competition, yet that is the intent of the rules.

whiteghost - how is smoking cannabis days before the fight unfairly performance enhancing?

Cannabis can be a fighting/battle enhancer when used directly before combat (a practice that has existed for thousands of years). The word assassin is even derived from the Arabic word Hasish, which we know to be marijuana.

Nick doesn't show up to his fights high and only has residual cannibis in his system, so how is it a performance enhancer? This is why I suspect that Dr. Benjamin and others want blood testing so they can accurately determine the concentration of substances in a fighter at the time of the competition.

Imagine a fighter, lets call him Rick, gets injured a month prior to a scheduled fight. He goes to see his doc, complaining of the painful injury and his doc legally prescribes him mild painkillers (Tylenol 3 with Codeine) so he can stay mobile alleviate some of the pain. Doc instructs him to take them as necessary.

Rick finds that the injury's pain is muted by the narcs and takes them sporadically before training for 10 days. Two days after he ceases taking them (still two weeks out from the fight) the obtuse athletic commission decides to pre-fight test Rick.

He takes the test and gets popped for opiates.

Now Rick can't fight in the fight in two weeks, even thought the drugs and their effect would be totally out of his system by the night of the bout. And he gets a 6 month suspension, so there goes earning a living for over half the year.

Does this sound fair to you?

It sure as fuck doesn't to me, but it's exactly what would have happened to Nick if he had take the test. Good thing he had the brains and balls to not do that.

The ACs stupid testing guidelines need amending for fairness's sake. If a drug isn't enhancing your performance at the time of the fight (I would exclude most anabolic steroids from this category) who gives a shit if you take it?

A person on who took amphetamines 2 hours ago and one who took them 48 hours ago are not the same, yet are treated as such with the current rules.

There's your solid argument in favor of Nick's actions. The athletic commission is unfairly discriminating against his medical disability (whatever reason he has his MJ script for) though they can't prove it alters the fairness playing field for his competition.

Sounds perfectly fair to me. He agrees to a fight and knows the rules of the state and the organization. He then knowingly breaks the rules and no-shows. That is fucking lame, unprofessional and totally fair. Either be a fighter or be a pothead. No one is discriminating against him. He's just a fucking idiot.

whiteghost - 

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick did this to start the discussion towards amending the rules.

That's downright laughable. Nick can't think 10 seconds ahead in his life and isn't interested in anything or anyone outside of himself. He isn't interested in starting discussions, he is interested in getting high.

JPet - It's an illegal drug !!!!! Who cares that it may not be performance enhancing.

Forget that crap about legal in CA with a prescription, that has yet to be tested up through the Supreme Court.

Forget all that crap about abolitionism in the North, down here we do what we want.....

It is not just CA, 15 states (and growing every year) have medicinal use legislation on the books.

I guess by your rationale fighters can't drink alcohol ever either, because that's on the banned substances list too (despite it's legality for those over 21), and they could get popped for it randomly before a fight.

JT42382 - Coker talks Diaz

I'm glad that he Didn't even bother to address Diaz' made up nonsense about his "informal deal" with Garcia, in fact his comments completely squashed that noise. It's amazing that they (Diaz camp) thought that people might buy that fairytale excuse.

Diaz is a big part of Strikeforce's recent success, IMO.

worldfightfan - gotta wonder if he is running the gym he setup into the ground as well as his fighting career

Why do you say this? Are you a student of his ?

HexRei - 
Altofsky - Yeah, fuck da man that pays your bills. Fuck da man that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on promoting you expecting you to simply do your job.

LMFAO

booohooohooohooo.

In other words, you can make no intelligent defense for the man not stepping up and doing his job. Brilliant.

It's funny to see the type of fans this kid has... speaks volumes about how hopeless this generation is.

Elite Hunting - 
whiteghost - 

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick did this to start the discussion towards amending the rules.

That's downright laughable. Nick can't think 10 seconds ahead in his life and isn't interested in anything or anyone outside of himself. He isn't interested in starting discussions, he is interested in getting high.

Do you know Nick? Do you know Cesar? What have you done in your life (with you far advanced gift of foresight) that trumps what he's done with his?

As a matter of semantics, I also said I wouldn't be surprised if he had done this to start the discussion, not that it was the sole, premeditated reason. Sorry if your giant brain can't begin to allow that into the realm of possibility.

I just heard in a radio interview with Bill Douglas of the CSAC who said that pot testing is done after the weigh-ins or after right after the fight. In this case, Diaz had to take a test just to renew his expired fighters licence.

whiteghost - As a matter of semantics, I also said I wouldn't be surprised if he had done this to start the discussion, not that it was the sole, premeditated reason. Sorry if your giant brain can't begin to allow that into the realm of possibility.

What the hell has that got to do with semantics? You are speculating intention just as much as he his, so your dismissal of his theorising is just as close minded as you have acused him of being.

can't you ghosts just get along?

Wtf ppl need to stop whining because a dude wants to live his own life and doesn't respect every bs rule created by The Man.

@ HexRei - Where'd you come from?

To state "Do you know Nick? Do you know Cesar?", and then go on to be derogatory someones elses opinion with your own completly baseless musings makes you look like you're talking out of your ass. Nick's let down a lot of people in the past couple of weeks; he's missed seminars, meet and greet signings and an obligation to corner a fighter. He's let down fans who wanted to see him fight, his opponent, and promotors who doing all they can to raise his profile. He's also ruined any chance he's got to go back to the UFC any time soon, and I'm just a bit dissapointed tbh.

LayzieTheSavage - var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/CWv729xqEJY&hl=en&fs=1&", "postVideo-27109935-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-27109935");  209 Baby!

209, in the unemployment line

Keep on keepin it real Nick! You dumb mutherfucker

A pot head being a fuck up. who would of thought