No complete HW's. A revolving door of Mediocrity

The two best heavyweights might be Jon Jones and DC. Phone Post 3.0

Fedor was complete for his era. Is still the most well rounded ever whether you agree with him as GOAT or not Phone Post 3.0

If Fabricio wouldnt rush and start swinging on a guy that throws sledge hammers this thread wouldnt exist.

FW is as well rounded as it gets at HW (maybe all weights). He fucked up. I think a rematch goes teh other way.

I would love to see what JBJ could do with the HW division.

I still think Cain could be "that guy" but he's too unhealthy and takes too much time off. He was very rusty in the Werdum fight Phone Post 3.0

tkayjunior -

It'll get there. Once the money is right, and the sport understood "properly" true talented athletes who are currently in/going to other sports will come. Would you wanna get in the cage with someone 250lb and start off at 2,000/2,000? At the top level?! At this size the trauma on the body, well more so brain, is  too much to risk for many.

If any you guys watch the NRL or Super League (rugby league, not rugby union) you'll see some serious athletes who are tough as nails. OK, they are not martial artists, but if they had been brought up as such....you've got a 6,2 250lber who moves and explodes like a 170lber.

Let's get this sport appealing to kids (and more so parents!) As a former Rugby Union and League player, I would happily see my kid fight MMA over Rugby in terms of safety....but I know the truth...not many people do....still

Well said, and VU.  I agree that MMA will attract better large athletes as time goes on and the sport continues to gain acceptance.

mada - It's a tough division because one wrong move and any guy in the entire division can knock you out. That makes it tough for the more skilled guy to win every time. Mighty Mouse makes a mistake, he loses position and then has time for his superior skill set to allow him to regain the upper hand. Werdum makes a mistake, he gets KO'ed with a quickness. Just very different to compare skills at different weight classes imo Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

ramaham -
GiasBaltar - This forum is funny. Every new HW champ here is touted as the next big thing, the future GOAT of all time. I've already seen multiple members claim Stipe is the greatest and future of the HW division with posters already ranking him in the GOAT list. Just as they did Werdum, Cain, JDS, etc. etc. etc.

There was only one HW GOAT. Only one HW fighter that could win more than 2 fights after getting the belt. And we all know who that was.

This current crop of HW's are all just equally mediocre. Yes they all are killers, but none of them is head and shoulders better than any of the others. And their lack of true greatness is on display each time a new champ is crowned.
How can you call them mediocre and then immediately call them killers...they can't be both... Phone Post 3.0

They are athletically mediocre compared to most mainstream sports, but they are killers in the sense that the have abilities to hurt other people well. They just lag behind other divisions overall athletically.

tkayjunior -

It'll get there. Once the money is right, and the sport understood "properly" true talented athletes who are currently in/going to other sports will come. Would you wanna get in the cage with someone 250lb and start off at 2,000/2,000? At the top level?! At this size the trauma on the body, well more so brain, is  too much to risk for many.

If any you guys watch the NRL or Super League (rugby league, not rugby union) you'll see some serious athletes who are tough as nails. OK, they are not martial artists, but if they had been brought up as such....you've got a 6,2 250lber who moves and explodes like a 170lber.

Let's get this sport appealing to kids (and more so parents!) As a former Rugby Union and League player, I would happily see my kid fight MMA over Rugby in terms of safety....but I know the truth...not many people do....still

Theres definitely a ton of potential beastly HWs in Rugby (both codes)...SBW, Nadolo, Nonu, Spies, O'Connell, Burger, Haskell, Chabal, literally any of the Burgess or Tuilagi brothers etc etc. Same applies to American Football too, the Linebacker and Defensive End positions especially.

There has been some very good athletes in HW MMA over the years though tbf. Even back in the day guys like Kerr, Coleman, Randelman, Cro Cop etc were pretty impressive.