No-Gi ranking system

What are your thoughts on the need for a ranking system in No-Gi grappling. So many people are moving away from the gi, and there are many qualified instructors who don't even use them anymore.
Mind you I don't agree with joe purple belt 2 year high school wrestler giving out belts at his school. And the need for a "belt" without a gi is even a little lame. No real specific question here, just wanted to discuss the topic.

Boxers, wrestlers, and kickboxers don't have belt rankings. Having a ranking system based on skill is useful, but it's hard to say there's a "need" for one when legit arts like those don't have them.

Agreed, but from a business perspective, if you are going to teach "Martial Arts", espescially to kids, you need a ranking system to make money.

The Madison Wrestling Club (a small catch wrestling/no-gi grappling club in Madison, MS) has adopted a ranking system using colored shirts to denote rank: white, yellow, green... black. It gives the guys a sense of accomplishment knowing that they have achieved something as well as a goal to set for themselves.

You suck.

You are ok.

You are pretty good.

You are great!

elgringo: "You suck."

^^^ Me =)

Yeah, the place I train uses the same system. But being a "Black Shirt", just doesn't have quite the same Zing that "Black Belt" has. Though I think it is a good compromise.
The other thing I like is the BJ penn belt shorts. Solves both problems.

so the person giving out the rank is a black belt(shirt?) in no-gi? whos to say?

stop trying to reinvent the wheel. put the gi on. this is how everything gets watered down IMO

i feel using belt rankings is completely essential not only because it's a great way to keep tradtion (esp. if it's no-gi bjj), but also, i feel it adds to the aesthetics of the sport.

not re-creating the wheel, just retreading the tire. LOL
Gis have thier place, but their is nothing wrong with a no-gi artform. It is far more realistic in regards to a street fight anyhow. The fact is that when something new is developed, rules need to be established. The problem is finding realiable ways to establish the rules.
Like I said before, I hate to see newbies, or McDojos handing out belts without having done a real grappling art.
But if, for example my current trainer, the person has fought more than 30 pro fights, 4th at ADCC, wrestled at the olympic training center for 7 years, then maybe him giving you a rank would be legit.

"So many people are moving away from the gi"

Like who?? Anybody good trains with the gi

no.
Stupid statement.
Plenty of good grapplers are solely non-gi.

"It is far more realistic in regards to a street fight anyhow"

you walk around 12 months out of the year in speedos?

"But if, for example my current trainer, the person has fought more than 30 pro fights, 4th at ADCC, wrestled at the olympic training center for 7 years, then maybe him giving you a rank would be legit. "

BJJ/GJJ is a organinzed system of techniques not just for the gifted athletic people but for older people, women, the unathletic...etc. it has a curriculum and set of self defense techniques that need to be mastered. it IS a traditional martial art believe it or not.

just because a guy is a great wrestler doesnt mean he is teaching a martial "art" IMO

BJJ/GJJ is with the gi. belts go on gis. if your trainer didnt earn a real BJJ rank with a real BJJ lineage than its just wrestling IMO and shouldnt have "belts."

and like BUFFGEO said...the only people moving away from the gi are the people who dont have access to the real deal IMO

"no. Stupid statement. Plenty of good grapplers are solely non-gi. "

but the BEST train with the gi. its fact.

http://www.mmaontap.com/mma/entry/adcc-2007-final-results/

I smell a GI vs NO-GI thread cooking!!!

Who the fuck cares? If a nogi gym wants to rank it's grapplers, they should. If they want them to associate their rank by how they do against one another like wrestlers and boxers do, they should do that.

It's not that big of a deal but douchebags always seem to turn it into a gi vs nogi debate anyhow.

My instructor is a brown in BJJ, soon to be black.
Actually I walk around in shorts and a polo shirt, which is pretty close to what I train in.
So Jeff Monson uses a GI???? He is one of the best grappling competitors in the world
The best BJJ guys are sticking with GI. Most of the schools I have visited are very No-Gi oriented though.

THIS IS NOT A GI VS NO GI THREAD!!
the question is more about ranking no-gi schools.

original question: What are your thoughts on the need for a ranking system in No-Gi grappling?

so im a douchebag for posting my thoughts on this thread? LOL

You being a douchebag has nothing to do with this thread.
Your just a purist.
I think people need to be willing to change. I dislike using the gi. I would rather train in clothes that are similar to clothes I might be wearing if I were to get into a fight (street or cage).
No gi is a compilation of other forms, but a new one nonetheless. If it is to be considered a martial art, then I think it should have a ranking system.

fuck you calling me a douchebag. u wanted opinions and you get upset and call names like a little fag when you hear something you dont agree with?

go ahead and put belts on your shorts and have fun. im done with this thread.

Dude, you are a douchebag.