No Mary Jane Watson in ASM2

From http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/06/19/mary-jane-watson-wont-appear-in-the-amazing-spider-man-2/

Although The Descendents actress Shailene Woodley filmed scenes in February and March for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, none of them will make it into director Marc Webb’s sequel. Instead, she reveals that Mary Jane Watson has been cut from the movie and won’t appear until the third installment of the Sony Pictures franchise, which arrives June 10, 2016.

In an interview in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly focusing on her starring role in the upcoming sci-fi adventure Divergent, Woodley says, “Of course I’m bummed. But I am a firm believer in everything happening for a specific reason. … Based on the proposed plot, I completely understand the need for holding off on introducing [Mary Jane] until the next film.”

The news arrives even as rumors begin to circulate once more that Felicity Jones is playing Felicia Hardy, better known as the Black Cat.

Mary Jane’s role in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was never expected to be extensive, with an early report asserting that it “blossoms into an integral lead for the planned third movie as the studio seeks to build to the classic ‘Death of Gwen Stacy’ story.” Whether Webb and the studio changed directions in the past few months or simply felt the MJ would work better in the next film remains to be seen.

Opening May 4, 2014, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Paul Giamatti, Colm Feore and Sally Field.

I find it a bit interesting that this comes right off the heels of Felicity Jones confirming her role as Felicia Hardy.  

I thought for sure the first comment would be "Good.  Now we can recast the role".

Well, well, well....from the link in the first post:

Updated (12:15 p.m.): According to The Hollywood Reporter, Woodley likely won’t return for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, and the role of Mary Jane Watson will be recast. “”I made a creative decision to streamline the story and focus on Peter and Gwen and their relationship,” Webb says. “Shailene is an incredibly talented actress and while we only shot a few scenes with Mary Jane, we all love working with her.”

Why? Big girls need love too :-P

Good. Now they can recast the roll! Phone Post 3.0

Good. Now we can recast the role

Sleazy Martinez - Good. Now they can recast the roll! Phone Post 3.0

Dammit!

^^^ Ha! Phone Post 3.0

paw - 

Well, well, well....from the link in the first post:

Updated (12:15 p.m.): According to The Hollywood Reporter, Woodley likely won’t return for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, and the role of Mary Jane Watson will be recast. “”I made a creative decision to streamline the story and focus on Peter and Gwen and their relationship,” Webb says. “Shailene is an incredibly talented actress and while we only shot a few scenes with Mary Jane, we all love working with her.”

Thank fucking god. I don't care how good of an actress the girl might be, she just wasn't right for the role of MJ

backfist_barnesy - 
Sleazy Martinez - Good. Now they can recast the roll! Phone Post 3.0

Dammit!

I voted you both up.

good news on a new MJ. that chick was unsuitable at best.

shouldn't felicia be older? maybe i'm hung up on ultimate spidey, but i remember that scene where she freaks out that he's a teenager right as they were about to make out.

Matthieu Battle - good news on a new MJ. that chick was unsuitable at best.

shouldn't felicia be older? maybe i'm hung up on ultimate spidey, but i remember that scene where she freaks out that he's a teenager right as they were about to make out.

Your memory is fine...but I believe that was in the Ultimate Universe, not in the mainstream Marvel U (aka 616)

Judging by her comments it doesn't seem like she has realised she's probably going to be recast... BWAHAHAHA... HA! Phone Post 3.0

Thank god, could you imagine that face spouting the "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" line, it would require a 4th wall breaking quizical look to camera.

Black cat in the film too? wow

So does that mean its gonna have electro, rhino, vulture, green goblin and black cat?

Seems like a whole lot of shit to be happening.

However, it could be handled well if some I them don't play important roles.

I always thought a great approach for film would be to have spidey casually taking a b-level baddie for just a scene of him regularly patrolling ny. No origin explanation or anything. Just some asshole like the shocker robbing a bank and spidey comes by for a neat fight scene then leaves him to the cops. Just for the obligatory stopping random crime scene.

Then focus on whoever the main bad guy is.

Trying to fit all these characters into two hours will probably end up as a clusterfuck in storytelling. They already had a super shitty plot in part 1. So im not really expecting a good story whatsoever. Phone Post 3.0

Looks like MJ has been re-cast already.  Movieweb is reporting that Sarah Gadon is the new Mary Jane.  I wan't familiar with the name so i did a little googling.  She's definitely more the MJ type that we've come to expect.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the men's room doing some more googling.