No more "boxing is corrupt" threads ever again

I love both sports and hate to see any fighter bust his ass in camp for months, win the fight, and then have it stolen from him. That decision was as "questionable" as any I've seen in pro boxing recently. And, at least Larry Merchant (Max Kellerman, Teddy, Al Bernstein, etc) calls it a bad decision when he sees it. Bad judging tonight.

Do I think Dana or the UFC brass put the fix in? Does this mean the UFC is corrupt and a sham? Absolutely not. We just saw the result of some questionable judging tonight.

I strongly disagree with the result but it is what it is. Doesn't mean I'll turn my back on MMA by any stretch but it does show that judges dont always see things the way the majority of us do.

UFC achieved parity with professional boxing tonight... but not in the sense they'd hoped for. This main event decision ranks up there with Holyfield vs Lewis I on the controversy scale.

UFC is corrupt.

Strikeforce all the way BABY!

Watch it with the sound off. One guy kicked, getting rocked a dozen times while doing so but not announced, and the other guy punched and kicked. You're not going to win the title low kicking, failing at every takedown, and not landing any punches.

I could barely hear the announcing where I watched it. I saw Machida landing a lot to Shogun's arms but very little clean, scoring punches landing. Shogun defended Lyoto's punches well and countered with clean kicks to the legs and body. He was also the aggressor for most of the fight. He pressed the action and landed more clean blows. He deserved to win.

BOxing is corrupt...thats why i dont get why the Judges MMA uses are from boxing

That's a good point.

StretchPlum - Watch it with the sound off. One guy kicked, getting rocked a dozen times while doing so but not announced, and the other guy punched and kicked. You're not going to win the title low kicking, failing at every takedown, and not landing any punches.

And one guy landed HALF as many strikes (of any kind)as his opponent and was on the defensive all night long.

Nice thread Chad.

If you'll forgive me for being lazy, I will just c+p what I posted in the sticky thread on this subject.

U4EA - I've wasted so much of my life watching boxing and MMA.

There have been a few shocking decisions in boxing that would compare to that but I cant think of anything in MMA that compares to how bad that decision was. That fight was like Hagler vs Leonard (but actually worse) - if you take away all the fancy stuff and just look at effective fighting, the decision clearly went to the wrong guy.

Rua won that fight 4-1 at worst. If that fight had been a sparring session in a gym, the instructor would have Machida sparring with lower level guys next time as he was out of his depth against Shogun.

For the record, I am a big fan of both guys.

I am not so sure this is corrupt judging as much as incompetent judging. As they dont seem to understand how effective they are as techniques, each of those judges should be lined up and be made to take a shin kick to the thigh, then one to the body.

And regarding the "beat the champ to BE the champ" shit - lets have this BS go to bed once and for all. Should we maybe just say that if you cant convincingly beat the challenger, you have no right to hold the belt? A win is a win.

MMA needs to radically overhaul it's scoring system. We are at a stage in the evolution of the sport where many of the first generation fighters have retired. I am sure there are plenty of these guys who would be happy to judge too. How about getting Matt Hume in there routinely?

Great pic of Machida scoring points by not being KTFO.

Maybe it's the Vegas judges.

Okay, one punch

No matter how many of you idiots make these threads, the UFC still has nothing to do with the judging. You can continue to make these threads, but you look like morons. The same thing can happen to Strikeforce or any other MMA org that waltz's into Nevada or Cali.

StretchPlum - Watch it with the sound off. One guy kicked, getting rocked a dozen times while doing so but not announced, and the other guy punched and kicked. You're not going to win the title low kicking, failing at every takedown, and not landing any punches.

What are you talking about. Shogun did land punches. MUCH harder ones than Lyoto's weak arm punch counters, most of which were blocked.

All Machida did was RUN, RUN, RUN.

LOL @ this lame stupid post. Most of those counters were blocked or simply did not land very hard at all.

Meanwhile Shogun landed HARDER punches, BRUTAL body kicks, a ton of huge legkicks, was always the agressor, attempted takedowns, scored more (check the numbers), did ALOT more damage, won more rounds(if not all), left Machida on weak wobbly legs.

Shogun won on all levels.

SKARHEAD - 

What are you talking about. Shogun did land punches. MUCH harder ones than Lyoto's weak arm punch counters, most of which were blocked.

All Machida did was RUN, RUN, RUN.

LOL @ this lame stupid post. Most of those counters were blocked or simply did not land very hard at all.

Meanwhile Shogun landed HARDER punches, BRUTAL body kicks, a ton of huge legkicks, was always the agressor, attempted takedowns, scored more (check the numbers), did ALOT more damage, won more rounds(if not all), left Machida on weak wobbly legs.

Shogun won on all levels.

+1