No more Knocking Striking & Judo

"Judo is about unbalancing your opponent, not out powering them"

lol. Yeah, that the original idea with judo, but pure power sure does happen a lot in judo, as it does in all combat arts.

• No, unbalancing your opponent (kuzushi) is still and always will be a fundamental of judo (the gi is obviously what allows this to happen as opposed to wrestling but it all comes down to really setting your opponent up). But, ya, at the same time, power is also, and always will be a factor aswell (but it also depends on what move and for what athlete and for what situation).

Power also helps kuzushi and vice versa.

Juninho: You must have never wrestled.

Okay, where did you wrestle at, which HS and/or College, what was your coach's name, name the captain of your team.

Then, name what belt you are, who you trained under in Judo, what competitions you have won and name of the captain/assistant coach of your team.

Until then: Hi KKM

Isn't Fedor Judo?

Yes.

I guess that explains the lack of making fun.

I didn't intend to rekindle endless circular debates.
My point was that, as the sport of MMA evolves, the contributions of many martial arts are incorporated into the sport.
For example, remember when wrestlers could shoot on an opponent without any worry or consideration given to them catching a thai flying knee strike or uppercut on the way in ?
Then some people were heralding the supremacy of grappling over striking. It's good that guys like Randy Couture and Dan Henderson realized that having a stand-up game was as important as having a ground game. I don't think that guys like Kevin Jackson undertood this.
I've also noticed that Fedor and Sergei Karnitonov incorporate some cool Judo/Sambo throws into their games.
It's cool to see this sport continue to evolve.
KMS

Do you really think there is any difference between a 'set up' and 'kazushi'? Wrestling and Judo overlap a lot.

I agree...Lots of overlap.

KMS

"Do you really think there is any difference between a 'set up' and 'kazushi'? Wrestling and Judo overlap a lot."

Not sure if you were asking me but, no, the point i have been trying to make there are def. much overlap in judo/wrestling in fundamental mechanics of takedowns they both share.

In finer detail, sure, there are some differences between kuzushi style setups in judo and setups in wrestling but what i meant before is that its all based on setting your opponent up for a takedown, etc.

I also disagree that "ANY judo technique that works without the gi, is also a wrestling move. so you might as well call it wrestling, and not judo" because if they are the same and both developed from their own roots, why should we have to call it one or the other?

Kai - I've already been rumbled mate... For the record the only reason I don't wrestle regularly is because hard work makes me vomit.

Hi Imamisno1.
KMS