No such thing as a dumb question :MMA

The strikeforce tourney  is gonna be great plays itself out and we have a tourney champion after 3 bouts.

but here is question.  If theres 4 brackets, 8 competitors....in a perfect world 4 advance, fight, and then fioght again on a different day.

.. why are there so many ALERNATES BOUTS. No one can get bumped in opnening night without fdates set in stone.?

In hindsight it might be brilliant considering the fighters that could advance and all that comes with it.

anyways...3 alternates for  4 guys in bouts not same night. 

Its great marketing, but this is no differnet that IBF/WBC/WBA Boxing eliminators just dresed up in a bracket unless Im missing something...its 1 fight per night even if they go to Japan no? 

anyways...just saying..

I hope Fedor and  Overeem advance and the fight takes place...

Not sure exactly what you're on about, but you forgot to include the word "snakebit"

I don't get it either...You know they will wait until the end of time for Fedor/Overeem if they both win...3 seems a little excessive.

true

if this thing goes off without a hitch and we see a great final I will be 1st to say, they are definitely not snakebit...this looks tough..

but if forced to bet I'd bet on "bit"  and hope to make point before  7 out...

Good point.

Maybe someone will pull a Randleman or a Ken Shamrock and injure themselves a few minutes before their fight?

Pulling for Overeem in this event. He's probably eating extra horse meat as we speak!

Yeah it's very odd especially since there is no need whatsoever for alternates. No one is going to have to 'pull out' of the tournament. Like Fedor is gonna break his hand and people will say, oh never mind let Chad Griggs take his place and fight in the final! People would surely prefer to wait for the big names to get healthy.

Dr Violence - Yeah it's very odd especially since there is no need whatsoever for alternates. No one is going to have to 'pull out' of the tournament. Like Fedor is gonna break his hand and people will say, oh never mind let Chad Griggs take his place and fight in the final! People would surely prefer to wait for the big names to get healthy.

The only fighter I have any interest in seeing get in as a replacement is Del Rosario.  Chad Griggs is a nonfactor.  Lavar Johnson is very flawed, Gian Villante is unknown to anyone outside of ROC and is a 205er...it would be a big disappointment if the big names drop out of this thing because there aren't any name fighters not in this thing.

Oddessa it could be "insurance" seeing how the

Super Six World Boxing Classic - Showtime Sports

has played out and Showtime wanted to make sure it will go off regardless of injuries?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0910/super.six/images/group2.jpg

Oddessa -  

MAIN CARD

32-2-1

230 lbs

6’0″

Stary Oskol, Russia

RECORD

WEIGHT

HEIGHT

CITY

15-2

265 lbs

6’4″

Paraíba, Brazil

15-8

242 lbs

6’4″

Chicago, Illinois

RECORD

WEIGHT

HEIGHT

CITY

17-4

250 lbs

6’3″

Tula, Russia

10-0

240 lbs

6’4″

Irvine, California

RECORD

WEIGHT

HEIGHT

CITY

15-3

251 lbs

6’3″

Madera, California

9-1

230 lbs

6’2″

Tucson, Arizona

RECORD

WEIGHT

HEIGHT

CITY

7-1

225 lbs

6’2″

Bellmore, New York

28-25

240 lbs

6’3″

Amsterdam, Netherlands

RECORD

WEIGHT

HEIGHT

CITY

2-0

240 lbs

6’0″

Las Vegas, Nevada

LMAO at Ray Sefo vs Valentijn Overeem being a reserve fight.  They'd both get killed if they ended up in the main draw.

Valentijn Overeem vs Alistair Overeem for the Championship!

the card looks pretty dressed up as bracket..but  honestly ....after Fedor bitchslaps Silva...the opening round of the GP cant be mentioned in same sentence as any GP at any weight of Pride or Bushido or even K-1...  I hope it exceeds my expectations...but I just dont see it...

paid zuffa shill ...i'm not..just a fan...

Ufc_129_poster_medium

holy shit...aldo is fighting hominick? cool!

Odessa, do you recall what the opening round of the 2006 OWGP looked like?

Aleks vs. Barnett

Hunt vs. TK

Overeem vs. Werdum

Nogueira vs. Zulu

CroCop vs. Minowa

Yoshida vs. Nishijima

Fujita vs. DVDs

Fedor 1st Round Bye (Replaced by Wanderlei Silva in quarterfinal)

Pretty sure the SF WGP can be favorably compared to that in terms of top level participants and competitive matchups. I'd say SF has put together the most competitive opening round field since the Bushido LWGP.

Fedor vs. Bigfoot

Overeem vs. Werdum

Arlovski vs. Kharitonov

Barnett vs. Rogers

Compared to...

Pulver vs. Sakurai

Hansen vs. Edwards

Gomi vs. Kawajiri

Azeredo vs. Kotani

Any reasonable comparison puts the SF WGP in the same conversation as those all-time great tournaments, at least on paper before the opening round has begun.

I mean this would have been good if they were on same day...the below looks great for sure..

Fedor vs. Bigfoot

Overeem vs. Werdum

Arlovski vs. Kharitonov

Barnett vs. Rogers

BUT...saturday is Fedor vs a guy that almost got ended by Mike Kyle....and 2 guys that havent had  significant win in over 2-4 years...Its Fedor surrounded by fluff...

DelRosario vs Johnson is only other significant bout on card unless somehow AA is what people expected Vitor to be in his 'comeback'..

and I called Vitor return  for what it was...a great job of making Belfort look relavant based in highlight reels pre 2000 and post 2000 vs guys that made AA's chin look like concrete...minus Franklin of course who has shown to have  a beard...and has always been a very respectable champion..

Villante is as significant a prospect at LHW as Del Rosario is at HW, if not more so. Whether you're looking forward to Arlovski vs. Sergei or not is a matter of personal taste, but those two undercard bouts could prove very important for SF's future.

smoogy - Villante is as significant a prospect at LHW as Del Rosario is at HW, if not more so. Whether you're looking forward to Arlovski vs. Sergei or not is a matter of personal taste, but those two undercard bouts could prove very important for SF's future.

no argument.... Cormier is beast as well.. kinda prefer  he was in the mix......

I find teh shows that look disspoitning turn out good...maybe bc low expectations..but you dont need big names to have great fights...

thats why the 'names' and alternates on the card..outside top 4... arent doing  it for me...

imo losers should fight eachother 2nd round  for the chaNce to get back in

What about dumb hairdo's?

More like don'ts= as in Grimm's mohawk. Ugh. What a tool.