Nobel winner Levitt.... lockdown huge mistake

2 Likes

But... but...  but...experts... peer reviewed... published... scientific data... REEEEEEEEEEE

5 Likes

Kid Salami - 

But... but...  but...experts... peer reviewed... published... scientific data... REEEEEEEEEEE

youtube to censor in 3,2,1 

DO NOT THINK DIFFERENTLY

2 Likes

Later

As he is careful to point out, Professor Michael Levitt is not an epidemiologist.......

He describes indiscriminate lockdown measures as “a huge mistake,” and advocates a “smart lockdown” policy, focused on more effective measures, focused on protecting elderly people.

BTW, I don't entirely disagree with him but I think this thread is being disingenuous and misrepresenting what he said. 

He's not saying there should not have been a lockdown.  Just that it should have been handled differently.

I still have no fucking clue why people are allowed to crowd into Target, Home Depot, etc., but the small independent shoe store in the same shopping center is being forcibly closed and the owners and employees bankrupted.  

If you're going to allow people to go into Walmart, Target, Costco, etc... they should be allowed to go into any other store they feel like as long as reasonable precautions and measures are taken. 

2 Likes

angryinch -

As he is careful to point out, Professor Michael Levitt is not an epidemiologist.......

He describes indiscriminate lockdown measures as “a huge mistake,” and advocates a “smart lockdown” policy, focused on more effective measures, focused on protecting elderly people.

Its idiotic and completely politicized at this point.  The data is clear, the risk for healthy people under 60 is minuscule. If you're older or obese or otherwise at risk with a preexisting condition, you should stay home and isolated from others. 

The lockdown makes no fucking sense when you're still allowing free travel.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the massive legal issues in trying to restrict travel between states.

But without it, the lockdown does nothing. Not here anyway.

I can't go to my local pub, but I can go to the essential stores... and exactly ALL of them have NY plates in the parking lot.

Defeats the goddamn purpose.

Something I saw someone mention today made me scratch my head. If we closed down schools in the name of protecting children, why are people as young as 15 still allowed to work in large stores?

Altofsky -

Don't get me wrong, I understand the massive legal issues in trying to restrict travel between states.

I can't go to my local pub, but I can go to the essential stores... and exactly ALL of them have NY plates in the parking lot.

All the New Yorkers think everyone else has it, but not them. My mother in law squawks about not being able to see her grandsons, and I'm adamant about her not coming over from Queens. And we sure as hell aren't going there.

I may be exploiting the situation to my advantage a bit, but the point stands. You're in the hottest of hot spots, so stay the fuck home. Enough NY plates wandering around my side of the Hudson as it is.

pbody -

Something I saw someone mention today made me scratch my head. If we closed down schools in the name of protecting children, why are people as young as 15 still allowed to work in large stores?

forumnewb - 
pbody -

Schools spread viruses exponentially.

A couple kids working in grocery isn't the same.

Archangel -
forumnewb - 
pbody -

This infectious disease expert goes over the published material available on transmisson of covid on this Twitter thread. It's well worth a read. Bottom line is that everything we know suggests that they are not major transmission vectors for this. It's why Sweden kept schools open and why much of Western Europe and Quebec are now opening schools. 

The thread sites a case of a French boy who had both covid and the regular flu and visited 3 schools while infected. They tested 73 of the other people he was in contact with. Only one had covid while 33 had the regular flu (which is well known to be transmitted by children at a very high rate).

Altofsky -

Just read a article that said 65% of the countrys infection is due to people who traveled from NYC

pbody -
Archangel -
forumnewb - 
pbody -

This infectious disease expert goes over the published material available on transmisson of covid on this Twitter thread. It's well worth a read. Bottom line is that everything we know suggests that they are not major transmission vectors for this. It's why Sweden kept schools open and why much of Western Europe and Quebec are now opening schools. 

The thread sites a case of a French boy who had both covid and the regular flu and visited 3 schools while infected. They tested 73 of the other people he was in contact with. Only one had covid while 33 had the regular flu (which is well known to be transmitted by children at a very high rate).

1 Like

for later