Nobody has ever finished Phil Davis

Fans don’t like him because they consider him boring but whatever. Its pretty incredible Phil Davis has never been KOed or submitted in 14 years as a pro.

Only prime Evans, Rumble and Nemkov were able to even beat him by UD and that happened three times total.

The three other times he lost he dropped split decisions to Bader 2x and Nemkov once.

People forget he beat Stann, Gustafsson Boetch and Lil Nog in only his 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th pro fights.

Almost impossible to compete at the highest levels of the UFC and Bellator for 12 years and not get KOed or submitted once but he has done it. Not an exciting fighter most of the time but still has had an incredible career considering he is also a 4x All-American who won an NCAA title as well.

16 Likes

i remember in one of his early UFC appearances, Joe Rogan said something like, from the way he was moving around, he looked so athletic he could jump over his opponent’s head.

2 Likes

He is 37 now and just recently won a couple split decisions over Machida and Romero so the window of opportunity has closed for him as a fighter even if he was in UFC in terms of seeing what he could do vs Jones but it always bothered me we did not get to see Davis get a crack at Jones. Evans beat Davis and thats why he got the crack at Jones and Davis won four more but then lost to Rumble so that ship sailed for Davis.

Its not that I think Davis or Rumble were gonna beat Jones but I still wish we got to see those fights. Instead we got Jones vs Chael, Vitor and OSP.

2 Likes

Davis can be boring as hell but I was always impressed by his defense and ability to not get finished

He’s just one of those guys that’s hard to hit and has a good chin

1 Like

I wrestled Phil in High School. I was a really good, Phil was great. So fast, long and strong. The only other 2 that I wrestled that were better than him were Jake Herbert and Aaron Anspach.
PA WRESTLING BABY!!
I also wrestled Jon Jones in Grecco, he wasnt that good at the time. He was just long and awkward.

19 Likes

He doenst get finished for the same reason he doesn’t get finished, because he doesn’t take risks. It’s why he’s super boring all around.

3 Likes

Wonderful, perchance?

Is Aaron a relative of Bob Anspach? Bob was a teammate of mine at Hofstra University and he eventually became the coach for a while

1 Like

Rumble cracked Phil a few times and couldn’t put him out. Dude has an iron chin and seems like a great guy. He was also on American Chopper back in the day.

2 Likes

Im not sure. Aaron went on to wrestle for Penn State and got a National title at Heavyweight.
Hes the fastest Heavyweight Ive ever seen. Well, until Gable Steveson lol

1 Like

He doesn’t get finished for the same reason he doesn’t get finished? Is this like the new English version of the new maths or something?

3 Likes

Phil Davis always reminded me of an action figure the way he is built, I enjoyed his fights that I saw.

1 Like

I remember him asking UFC (Joe Silva?) for the title shot against Jon many years ago. Always wondered what would’ve happened if he did get the shot

I understood what he meant because I understood what he meant.

3 Likes

I remember him doing a segment for the UFC by going out & talking to fans.Tons of fans mistook him for Jon Jones & he just rolled with it.You had to of seen it.

1 Like

Not even his wife

That guy was about the least enjoyable fighter for me to have to watch fight.

3 Likes

Like I’d rather take a piss break during his fight & come back to sit down for a women’s match.

2 Likes

He’s been in 19 decision snoozers

5 Likes

I guess he has finished the crowd before even trying to finish the fight

4 Likes