Nobody have love for Traditional Martial Arts?

Under the side bar in training forums, click on traditional martial arts. I know many ppl on here like me come from a karate background, maybe even tkd, etc. Im disappointed with the lack of posts and responses in that forum.

Maybe when Machida beats Jon Jons there will be more love in that forum!

Please explain what a TMA is or rather MAs that aren't traditional, I don't understand the difference.

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Maybe when Machida beats Jon Jons there will be more love in that forum!

Word! I love TMA...I rock a tiger/dragon tattoo as well...like most karate black belts :) Phone Post

Because bottom brick not hit back?

Traditional Martial Arts by themselves are not very effective in MMA but when you are well rounded and have the skills to use them they are awesome. Too many people are in the mind set of boxing and thai boxing are the only options.

I'd go there more often but no one is ever there

RickStorm - 

I'd go there more often but no one is ever there

trying to change that! lets get that forum going!

I came from a kenpo background. I don't consider my belt in that worth wiping my ass with honestly. I feel like those guys are just frauds. BUT, that was mainly because of where I trained. I have a respect for TMA's as long as they realize they are a TMA and focus on that. I got so sick of hearing all the TMA romos saying stuff like mma would not work in the street. OR that would never work against multiple opponents. Well if you can't beat one, how the hell can you beat two? MMA would not work but jump spinning kicks and backfists would get the job doen right? hahahahaha. I do know some aikido practitioners that are really cool and they know the difference between a TMA and a modernized martial art. They love the tradition of it. Now that I can respect. I like karate and TKD. But I realize the limitations. It's just when TMA guys get all uppity about MMA and how "it is ineffective" that I get my panties in a bunch.

wrestling is very traditional, we got a 40,000 year tradition in east afraka

Tkd blackbelt checking in Phone Post

Big Pun - I came from a kenpo background. I don't consider my belt in that worth wiping my ass with honestly. I feel like those guys are just frauds. BUT, that was mainly because of where I trained. I have a respect for TMA's as long as they realize they are a TMA and focus on that. I got so sick of hearing all the TMA romos saying stuff like mma would not work in the street. OR that would never work against multiple opponents. Well if you can't beat one, how the hell can you beat two? MMA would not work but jump spinning kicks and backfists would get the job doen right? hahahahaha. I do know some aikido practitioners that are really cool and they know the difference between a TMA and a modernized martial art. They love the tradition of it. Now that I can respect. I like karate and TKD. But I realize the limitations. It's just when TMA guys get all uppity about MMA and how "it is ineffective" that I get my panties in a bunch.

Yeah, I had a TMA guy tell me that I should quit Muay thai and take his classes because it wouldn't work against multiple attackers, weapons etc. Then he gives me his card which says that he teaches Karate, Jiu jitsu and mma. so I ask him if why he teaches mma since it probably wouldn't work against multiple attackers and he said, "I've been teaching real mma for over 30 years, not that bullshit you see on tv." Phone Post

To be true... finding some good traditional stuff it's quite hard.

MMA will get McDojed soon and it will be no difference in terms of efectiveness...

It's HOW you practice it not WHAT you practice...

Yes there are a lot of asshats in TMA. But then again, what we consider TMA isn't really "traditional" but a watered down, bastardized version we created in the west.

Ah... and If I trained for self defense Filipino Martial arts would be my choice over MMA eyes closed...

klif - Yes there are a lot of asshats in TMA. But then again, what we consider TMA isn't really "traditional" but a watered down, bastardized version we created in the west.

yup, whats crazier is some of the original countries the arts came from are embracing the watered down versions..

Every karate "world champion" in town that talked all that bull is now a mma school. Too bad there are no qualifications required. It's pretty annoying that the local McDojos now profess to be mma experts and the average guy has no clue. I do have alot more respect for the schools that opted to stay traditional. They know what they teach and why they teach it. Hats off to them for sticking to their traditions.

Big Pun - Every karate "world champion" in town that talked all that bull is now a mma school. Too bad there are no qualifications required. It's pretty annoying that the local McDojos now profess to be mma experts and the average guy has no clue. I do have alot more respect for the schools that opted to stay traditional. They know what they teach and why they teach it. Hats off to them for sticking to their traditions.

Yeah sort of my gripe as well with the local hard nuts who do mma , I Seen mma as progression from my tkd, which I practised since I was a kid. Where I live there's lots of guys who's been doing bjj for 2/ 3 years all walking about in tap out gear etc that's the equivalent of a tkd gut walking around in his blue belt lol , too many inexperienced guys who believe them selves to be bjj masters , suppose it's because the sports still growing though these guys don't help the direction id like to see mma go in Phone Post