Nog Armbreak: explain it to me.

I've seen more than a few armbreaks on YouTube from americanas and kimuras. When Mir started working on it, I immediately told my gf, he wont tap him with that. He'll get out, or it'll break.

So it ended up breaking... But what I never understood: what bone is snapping exactly? I always feel it hurts in my shoulder, not my arm.

If you watch the other instances on YouTube it always seems that both men are surprised and freaked out by the break. Is it one of those subs where the pain doesnt intensify before the snap?

Usually I get out of that sub in training, or dont mess with it an tap right away, and nobody attacked with it during my tourney fights, so I dont know.

Can anybody maybe post a Skeleton pic and show which bone is being snapped? Phone Post

Xray shows it was the humerus, i.e. the upper arm (shoulder to elbow).

Humerus

this was on the main page http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=100&q=75&x=108&y=302&w=310&h=165&ro=0&s=antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-12-11-11-8-31-13-346.jpg

It can bust the joint as well... you're much better off in the long run with the bone break if that's all you get.

Pretty similar to the Renzo arm break right?

Look at the Gracie Breakdown they explain it very well. Nog's humorous broke according to X-rays. Phone Post

Thanks, will have to check later, cant from work. I always feel that the pain is in that triangle shaped bone above the humerus when its applied to me. Phone Post

Yea I don't quite get it either. That type of lock works the shoulder mainly, no? So how did the shoulder and elbow not go all rag doll before the humerus?

he tried to out grapple a superior grappler...

The bone must have had a weakness. His joints and surrounding muscle were stronger than the bone at that moment. Snap... Phone Post

cycklops -  Yea I don't quite get it either. That type of lock works the shoulder mainly, no? So how did the shoulder and elbow not go all rag doll before the humerus?

Gracie breakdown covered this. Explained that once you've warmed up in the fight the shoulder and connective tissue can stretch more easily and therefore the range of motion is increased.

At the time of the breakdown they only assumed the elbow was dislocated and weren't sure of the arm break. Phone Post

JasonGV - Pretty similar to the Renzo arm break right?

I believe the Renzo one was a dislocation not an actual break, but it's been a while.

Boneitis IMO. Phone Post

Just as a matter of semantics, since Big Nog didn't tap, can't you argue that he's never been submitted?

Doesn't submitting imply that you throw in the towel or give up so to speak?

Technically wasn't that was a referee/doctor stoppage?

One wonders.

DanEzra - Just as a matter of semantics, since Big Nog didn't tap, can't you argue that he's never been submitted?

Doesn't submitting imply that you throw in the towel or give up so to speak?

Technically wasn't that was a referee/doctor stoppage?

One wonders.

Technical submission Phone Post

Also he did tap but it was after the arm broke Phone Post

Usually called a spiral fx.... Phone Post

fiercedragon -  he tried to out grapple a superior grappler...

Heavier...

It depends on the angle and position of the arm. In a perfect world yes it is mostly a shoulder lock. But if you can change the angle a little you can protect the shoulder. But that puts other parts of the arm at risk like the elbow. In this case with Mir's power and the angle of the hold it was the humerus that gave.