Nog is Done

I hate to say it about one of my favorite fighters and an all-time legend, but Nog really has seen better days. After tonight I don't see Nog beating a young, hungry fighter like Dos Santos. In fact, if Cro Cop beats Dos Santos, I think he takes Nog in the rematch. Sure he looked better against Randy than he did against Mir, but I still saw zero head movement and a lot of vulnerability. If he goes in against a good striker, I don't see him lasting long.

It's sad to say. Look I did pick Nog tonight against Randy, but I expected him to look better than he did. Sure he beat Randy as expected, but he just isn't the same fighter. Can he beat Brock? Quite possibly. But I see a lot of fighters beating him at this point and it makes me sad because now there is no staph excuse. Nog is simply getting old. I just hope he beats Brock before the newer, younger, hungrier fighters get to him.

I don't see him beating (his teammate) Dos Santos either.....

Everything else is Bullshit!

I'm pretty sure he exceeded the expectations of almost everybody.

Poopyface TomatoNose - I'm pretty sure he exceeded the expectations of almost everybody.

The real Albert Einstein would not have made such comments.

He exceeded expectations against Randy, whom everybody holds to unrealistic standards. I don't know about you guys, but I felt from the moment I heard this match that Nogueira was the better fighter. Obviously I expected more of him than we saw in the Mir fight, but I also expected more of him than we saw in this fight. He looked decent, don't get me wrong. He was good enough to beat Randy, but he wasn't good enough to beat a lot of other heavyweights that he would have tooled earlier in his career.

I hope I am dead wrong because Nog is not only a legend in mma, not only one of the best fighters in the UFC heavyweight division, but one of the greatest mma fighters of all time, and he will go down as a legend forever. I just see a lot of vulnerability in his game these days. I hope it is just the beer talking.

I have to say, after reading his post, that the thread starter has the most ironic screenname on the forum.

He fucking won against Randy, a damn good fighter. What more do you want? You are reading into something that's not there.

Come on now, he won against a 46 year old Randy that (let's be honest here) was THE MOST favorable matchup for him possible. Nog was better on the feet (and always has been), and was better on the ground (as he always has been). But the Nog back in the day was far better than the Nog I saw tonight. Peopled ONLY were picking Randy based on Nog's performance against Mir (while he had staph, a torn meniscus, etc.).

I'm not trolling, I'm just calling it like I see it. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and I'm being a complete moron like you guys are saying. I'm just sharing my thoughts.

So really nobody agrees with me? Well I guess that makes me feel better about his chances. I hope you guys are right because he is and always will be one of my favorite fighters.

I think Nog has very good chance at beating Brock right now. I think he has better BJJ for mma than Mir does and I hope he finishes him easier than he finished Sapp, but I'm not sure I agree that Randy was beating Brock. Randy was mounted early. He did get out of that position, but I seem to remember him taking a big elbow and a big knee, both of which almost put him away. I think I had Brock ahead the whole fight.

Nog exceeded the expectations of people that thought the Nog that fought Mir was the new Minotauro. I knew that this was not the real Nog and that his injuries played a huge part in that fight. I don't really know why people denied this.

AlbertEinstein - So really nobody agrees with me? Well I guess that makes me feel better about his chances. I hope you guys are right because he is and always will be one of my favorite fighters.

One of your favorite fighters yet you make a ridiculously disparaging remark about him after a great performance?

You then go on to say that he has a good chance of beating Brock?

You must be drunk.

Yes I am drunk and yes Nog is one of my favorite fighters, but I call it like I see it. To me he did not look like the world-beater of old. I'm not trying to be disparaging, not trying to understate Nog's skills, just sharing my thoughts.

I'm glad to see so many people hating what I say though. I thought Nog's bandwagon had died after the Mir fight.

AlbertEinstein - So really nobody agrees with me? Well I guess that makes me feel better about his chances. I hope you guys are right because he is and always will be one of my favorite fighters.
I see where you're coming from. He was getting tagged A LOT. He wasnt moving his head and just kinda left it out there to be punched. Against Randy that might be okay because he doesnt have any power but against somebody will more power that could definitely be a problem.

I want Nog to get the title and defend it a few times but he isnt going to be able to pull that off unless he works on his striking defense. Him getting tagged so many times will eventually get him KOed especially against guys like Brock, Carwin, and even Mir.

mmarkrobinson - 
One of your favorite fighters yet you make a ridiculously disparaging remark about him after a great performance?

You then go on to say that he has a good chance of beating Brock?

You must be drunk.

Yeah just because I think he is vulnerable to a good striker does not mean he can't beat Brock, who is purely a wrestler/gnp'er. I don't see how this could possibly be confusing but whatever.

D3structo, I hope that you are right and that it was just a ploy to lure Randy into his game. Unfortunately, I just don't think that is the case, and it will cost him against better fighters.

Nogieras defense and punch resistance have declined imo.True legend of the sport that wont hold the belt again , imo.

FCM - Nogieras defense and punch resistance have declined imo.True legend of the sport that wont hold the belt again , imo.

I agree he is on the decline, but I still hold out hope that he can beat brock, and you have to admit at least stylistically he as a good shot (Nog vs. Sapp).

He could get that strap sooner than later, but I just don't see him holding on to it for long, even as weak as the HW division is. I think Carwin would put him to sleep if the same Nog as tonight showed up and I would HATE to see that.

pigpen -  I have to say, after reading his post, that the thread starter has the most ironic screenname on the forum.

lol +1