Nog/Mir question(jiu jitsu guys please)

About the 6:30 mark is the breakdown of the fight.

I understand that Nogueira's biggest mistake was going for the guillotine instead of continuing a barrage of punches.

My question is more of, was there a mistake made my Nogueira, or was it just a better offensive move on Mir's part?

After Mir got the Kimura lock, but before he flipped himself to be in sidemount over Nogueira, was there a block that could've been done on Nogueira's part to defend Mir from jumping over?

If so, was it just done so fast/quick by Mir and credit Mir's quickness and instincts to do that?

At that point a guy like Mir is gonna finish that hold 99% of the time...once Mir locked up that Kimura it was only a matter of time

Nogs almost got out but Mir's roll thru on Nog's roll thru was an incredible display

In Phone Post

Nogs mistake (other than going for the guillotine) wa sinking his elbow too deep when he went for the back. It is a very common mistake, but it isn't capitalized on very often. When you are on someones back, it is important to keep your elbows out of reach of your opponent or you can be wrist locked or kimura'ed/americana'ed.

Root12 -  Nogs mistake (other than going for the guillotine) wa sinking his elbow too deep when he went for the back. It is a very common mistake, but it isn't capitalized on very often. When you are on someones back, it is important to keep your elbows out of reach of your opponent or you can be wrist locked or kimura'ed/americana'ed.

This is correct. When Nog went for the sitout to back control, he left his arm out and available to be locked up. It's almost like going for kimura from standing back control, except on the mat. After that, Mir was just too strong and too experienced, and wisely stepped over, rolled, and finished. Phone Post

His arm got caught on Mir's shorts when he went or the sit out, which was a big mistake and cost him the Kimura. Props to Mir for recognizing it though. Phone Post

Root12 -  Nogs mistake (other than going for the guillotine) wa sinking his elbow too deep when he went for the back. It is a very common mistake, but it isn't capitalized on very often. When you are on someones back, it is important to keep your elbows out of reach of your opponent or you can be wrist locked or kimura'ed/americana'ed.

This Phone Post

Easy to armchair quarterback, but Mir was fully committed on that sub - he had it very deep and has a substantial size (and likely strength) advantage.

With that said - if there was any moment I thought Nog could have done something different it would have been immediately after putting Mir on his back before being rolled. I thought he could have maybe yanked his arm towards his hip as he postured postured and tried to circle over Mir's head (Hughes / GSP).  Problem is this is the blink of an eye and if your partner places you in the roll before you can posture then its hopeless.