Nonis new Canucks GM

Canucks Name David Nonis General Manager
Thu. May 6, 2004Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks today announced that David Nonis has been promoted to the position of General Manager and Senior Vice-President, Hockey Operations, assuming responsibility for the leadership of the team."Dave has been integrally involved in the success and growth of the Canucks over the past six years and is respected league-wide for his capabilities and his dedication," stated Orca Bay President and Chief Executive Officer, Stanley McCammon. "We're excited about the announcement today and we believe Dave Nonis is the right individual to lead our team into the future.""I am very excited about the opportunity that being General Manager presents to me," said David Nonis. "Our team has enjoyed success over the past several years, however, we know that our fans want more and we are committed to delivering a team that can build on what we've started."In promoting from within the organization, the Vancouver Canucks acknowledge that the team has a solid foundation and that it remains committed to the entertaining style of play for which the Canucks are known.Vancouver Canucks Chief Operating Officer Dave Cobb will assume additional responsibilities previously performed by the President of the hockey team. "We have a lot of confidence in Dave and believe that he and the rest of our management team have played a valuable role in getting us to where we are today," stated McCammon."In his first act as General Manager, Nonis has appointed Steve Tambellini as Assistant General Manager of the Canucks."Steve has been a critical piece of this organization for a long time and it was very important to me personally that he be part of our management group," stated Nonis. "His commitment to this team and to the community are strong and he will play a vital role in all hockey decisions we make in the future."

This is a good move, the guy is a serious hard worker who gets results.He learned from Brian Burke and had been his go to guy and right hand man since Burke was working for the league.I'd probably rather Tambellini was GM but him being assistant to Nonis is fine too imo.

"The day he started work for the Vancouver Canucks in 1990, Dave Nonis received from Brian Burke a tedious, time-consuming assignment suitable for the rookie grunt in team services.

Burke gave the 24-year-old a schedule and some parameters and told him to start planning the Canucks' travel for the 1990-91 National Hockey League season.

"Next day he's sitting in front of me saying: 'What do you want me to do next?' " Burke said years later. "He did the whole season in a day. He had brains, he had confidence and he was willing to roll up his sleeves.""