Noob here. taking jiu jitsu. need advice!!!

Whats up crazy bastards. Been lurking here for a couple years and finally made an account. Ill be taking jiu jitsu this august at my college and was wondering if any of ya'll could give me some tips or simple things to do to be ready to go in august. Im 20 and in pretty decent shape. thick. solid. tight. ya know. But seriously, speak to me ug.

Your going to realize your not in shape for jig jitsu, remember to breath

yea I know im not in jiu jitsu shape. I stay pretty active playing sports but that's it. that's why I asked if there were any specific stretches or cardio stuff (besides basic conditioning things) that is good for jitz.

Yeah breathe in your nose out mouth slowly when you get smothered Phone Post 3.0

tnvol16 - Whats up crazy bastards. Been lurking here for a couple years and finally made an account. Ill be taking jiu jitsu this august at my college and was wondering if any of ya'll could give me some tips or simple things to do to be ready to go in august. Im 20 and in pretty decent shape. thick. solid. tight. ya know. But seriously, speak to me ug.

Anchor Down

ricoricoramos - Real advice :

Hygiene , always have fingernails trimmed and clean clothes and recent shower , you will be grappling people all day and no one wants to smell your jock

Roll easy , you sound young and in shape don't try to muscle your way around the gym and slam everyone. Just fall into positions and train to intelligently find away to better your position

Tap before you feel pain , submission escapes can be learned with more time no need to muscle or tough it out in the beginning

In the beginning , no matter how hard you want to roll hard. Tell everyone , just a light roll man. Phone Post 3.0

I just started too dude, what this guy said is spot on. And what everyone else said about cardio, even rolling easy you'll be exhausted. Eating and drinking well and getting lots of sleep are a couple of other things that I've found very helpful.

Beware suprise butt sex. Jk. I like to stretch a solid 15 minutes before i begin rolling. Make sure you are loose Phone Post 3.0

Don't worry about tapping people, the most important thing is your defense.

Don't rush anything, if you have a good posish, relax and take your time.

I always say position before submission and a lot of people don't follow that in live rolling, if you want to get someone in a rear-naked choke you have to get your hooks in first and control your partner.

Hygiene is VERY important. Oh and wash your gi/shorts, rash guard every time you roll. I personally wash my belt too (for gi) but I know some that do not.

Stretch before and after

I don't lift weights but a lot do, I suggest you find an upper level belt that if around your body size and mimic him when you're just starting.

Never stop learning, be humble in defeat in and in victory. Phone Post 3.0

ricoricoramos - Real advice :

Hygiene , always have fingernails trimmed and clean clothes and recent shower , you will be grappling people all day and no one wants to smell your jock

Roll easy , you sound young and in shape don't try to muscle your way around the gym and slam everyone. Just fall into positions and train to intelligently find away to better your position

Tap before you feel pain , submission escapes can be learned with more time no need to muscle or tough it out in the beginning

In the beginning , no matter how hard you want to roll hard. Tell everyone , just a light roll man. Phone Post 3.0

This. All of this.

go to class.

getgettinsomeread - Maybe I'm late to the party but i had to learn the hard way that you need to consciously breathe when someone's trying to choke you. You NEED to be aware that you are breathing otherwise you'll not take note and slowly drift off into oblivion. Phone Post 3.0
Sure, conscious breathing is good advice.... But the way you are advising is next to zero help when your carotid is squeezed. It's not going to really help the blood supply to the brain. Phone Post 3.0

getgettinsomeread - 
Ubiquitous -
getgettinsomeread - Maybe I'm late to the party but i had to learn the hard way that you need to consciously breathe when someone's trying to choke you. You NEED to be aware that you are breathing otherwise you'll not take note and slowly drift off into oblivion. Phone Post 3.0
Sure, conscious breathing is good advice.... But the way you are advising is next to zero help when your carotid is squeezed. It's not going to really help the blood supply to the brain. Phone Post 3.0
I don't know much, sir. I'm a white belt. I'm just imparting what went on with my first pass out.

Where is the cartoid and what is it? Is it like a magic button that just knocks your ass out? Phone Post 3.0

Instead of blocking the wind pipe you block both arteries on the neck to restrict the blood from going to the brain, they're on both side of the neck.