North Korea at night. Why is it so dark?

Are they just so poor they can't run lights at night? Is it maybe a government policy to keep things dark at night?

This modern picture just seems so bizarre. It looks pretty modern in daylight but these night time pictures make it seem like they are in the dark still.

Um, yes. It's a third world country ruled by a dictator that hates his citizens and isn't spending money he doesn't have to on them.

I heard it is for protection. Harder to bomb.

Uh light pollution, duh. How u gonna see the stars at night with all those lights. Mr Un is just an astrology nerd.

Fake news, the earth is flat so obviously the pics are CG.

Cutty McButts - Fake news, the earth is flat so obviously the pics are CG.

THIS!

They really care about the environment.

They haven't got the technology for lights yet. Every time they flick the switch the bulb explodes. 

Massive Astronomy nerds

i would not be surprised if NASA and the people who do this further dim that area on purpose to make a political point.

however it's obvious the area is much less developed than the South, but I don't think the real contrast is that stark.

I have talked to people from North Korea and Chinese Koreans who escaped from the North and they tell me the place is like beijing in the 1990's

from the videos online it seems to be the case.

also a lot of stories you hear about north korea are made up by south korean and US intelligence.

for sure they are a repressive regime, but It's not as bad as people say. they also used to get tons of AID from the US and still get cash from japan

EVILYOSHIDA - i would not be surprised if NASA and the people who do this further dim that area on purpose to make a political point.

however it's obvious the area is much less developed than the South, but I don't think the real contrast is that stark.

I have talked to people from North Korea and Chinese Koreans who escaped from the North and they tell me the place is like beijing in the 1990's

also a lot of stories you hear about north korea are made up by south korean and US intelligence.

for sure they are a repressive regime, but It's not as bad as people say. they also used to get tons of AID from the US and still get cash from japan

I spent many nights on mountains near the DMZ.  All BS aside, looking north over the DMZ is pure darkness as far as you can see, look South and besides all the little lights from homes you see the massive glow of Seoul.  

NK is dark af!

OldSchoolMike - I heard it is for protection. Harder to bomb.

Lmfao. Don't need light to bomb GPS positions. Do you even bomb bro??

I have been to the DMZ but never at night.

the best people to talk to North Koreans about are Chinese Koreans who escaped or Chinese Koreans who still have relatives there. they are free to speak since they have Chinese Citizenship. North Koreans don't often tell you much esp. in China. they are monitored all the time for changes in thought or behavior.

100 km outside of pyongyang. what I have heard is that the place is very very clean. from most of the vids that I've seen that seems to be the case.

EVILYOSHIDA - i would not be surprised if NASA and the people who do this further dim that area on purpose to make a political point.

This is where we probably disagree most. NK is an absolute hell hole ruled by fear and absolute demoralizing laws meant to subjugate the will of the masses. I can't imagine a worse place on earth.

There's a lot of Chinese Koreans in Texas, EY?

Cutty McButts - Fake news, the earth is flat so obviously the pics are CG.

The right is brinding

They can't afford it economically. Electricity is only for the elite, and most places don't have it at night. We are talking about a Country with a fake village across the DMZ and who have been building a futuristic pyramid like hotel since the 80s-90s....still not finished by the way. Most of The capital is empty. Lots of those buildings are abandoned or just there for show (Pyongyang).