Not one judge

gave Overeem a 10-8 first round.

Who cares. Phone Post 3.0

I can see it being a 10-9. This isn't boxing. In MMA a fighter has to be dominant throughout the entrire rnd. to receive a 10-8. It was a solid 10-8.5 if there were half points allowed but there isn't. Giving Reem a 10-9 isn't very controversial.

I can see it being a 10-9. This isn't boxing. In MMA a fighter has to be dominant throughout the entrire rnd. to receive a 10-8

I noticed it wasn't boxing after the knockdown when Overeem beat the shit out of Mir on the ground and the ref almost stopped it. Brutal elbows and holding his arm so he couldn't defend.

This "entire round" argument makes no sense when it couldn't be closer to a stoppage. What did Mir do the rest of the round? Land one punch?

TwentyNineTwentyEight -

I can see it being a 10-9. This isn't boxing. In MMA a fighter has to be dominant throughout the entrire rnd. to receive a 10-8. It was a solid 10-8.5 if there were half points allowed but there isn't. Giving Reem a 10-9 isn't very controversial.

Voted up, i love everything about the half point rules. Phone Post 3.0

The 1/2 point is stupid... It's is mathematically no different than pretending you started with a 5 point must system, then moved to a 10 pt must system to allow for finer measuring.... Or starting with this 10 pt system and moving to a 20pt system....

Just start using the damn 8s and 7s already ffs.

why would half points solve anything when they can't even get whole points right?

a round is to be scored as a 10-9 round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers

a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

which of those more accurately describes round 1?

TwentyNineTwentyEight -

Bullshit.

Reem was milliseconds away from a finish and outlanded Mir like 50-1. How can you say that wasn't a completely dominant round. If that wasn't a 10-8 I don't know what is.

The fact that a round like that gets scored the same as close rounds is a HUGE issue in MMA. Phone Post 3.0

I agree with OP. RD1 was a clear 10-8.

Not bothered because they didnt give Mir the W (would have been the most controversial decision EVER)

But it does show why we need more 10-8 rounds Phone Post 3.0

FIGHTS TOTALS
Overeem 1 62 of 74 84% 139 of 157 0 of 0 0% 0 1 0
Mir 0 3 of 23 13% 5 of 26

mghan44 - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight -

Bullshit.

Reem was milliseconds away from a finish and outlanded Mir like 50-1. How can you say that wasn't a completely dominant round. If that wasn't a 10-8 I don't know what is.

The fact that a round like that gets scored the same as close rounds is a HUGE issue in MMA. Phone Post 3.0

EXACTLY!!!!

Without frequent 10-8 and even an occasional 10-7, the scoring system is fucked! Let's say Mir had lay'n'prayed Overeem (no, not that he ever does that, but just for this example) for the next 2 rounds after that 1st round beating he would have won 2 rounds to 1 if you only give 10-9s. Big problem indeed. What the hell does it take to get a 10-8 round? They are so rare it's ridiculous.

With more frequent 10-8s it'd make the fighters more on the go as they don't know exactly how they are ahead, and the guy behind on the scorecard knows he can still pull out a draw/win with a great round, even he doesn't get a KO or sub.

forrestfan -
I can see it being a 10-9. This isn't boxing. In MMA a fighter has to be dominant throughout the entrire rnd. to receive a 10-8

I noticed it wasn't boxing after the knockdown when Overeem beat the shit out of Mir on the ground and the ref almost stopped it. Brutal elbows and holding his arm so he couldn't defend.

This "entire round" argument makes no sense when it couldn't be closer to a stoppage. What did Mir do the rest of the round? Land one punch?
The wording for 10-8 and 10-7 both need to be changed. Seriously. Phone Post 3.0

forrestfan - 

I'm just trying give a little insight to why they didn't give it a 10-8. I wouldn't have disagreed if they did, but there were times in that round when Reem was plotting, waiting, and conserving energy. Usually when a Judge gives a 10-8 there is more pressure being applied throughout the entire rnd. 

I thought the judging was pretty bad last night in several fights.

Just by the letter of the rule, it would be hard to call round one "winning by a close margin" with a straight face.

Knockdown
50 strikes to 2 (30 to 1 significant)
86% to 9% significant strike percentage
Damage
Near stoppage

That is "overwhelmingly dominates." Have the commission and judges go over that and do better next time.

Rambo John J - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
forrestfan - 

I'm just trying give a little insight to why they didn't give it a 10-8. I wouldn't have disagreed if they did, but there were times in that round when Reem was plotting, waiting, and conserving energy. Usually when a Judge gives a 10-8 there is more pressure being applied throughout the entire rnd. 

Reems huge power does not allow him to push like Cain

THey are HWs for chrisses sake

The MMA Judging Criteria doesn't take Weight Classes into consideration Johnny, lol.

People saying that 10-8s are rare, and what does it take to get one..... Here's the MOST confusing aspect of Reem not getting one - the judges passed 'em out like candy in the Iaquinta-Lee fight. And neither of those rounds were as dominant as Reem's. So it had to be different judges for those fights. HAD to be. So, basically, going to a decision anymore is akin to a lottery system. Phone Post 3.0

The way mma scoring has traditionally been scored it wasn't a 10-8 round.

Frankie gray 2 round 1 was a 10-8.

I think a 10-7 round doesn't make sense in mma unless you are a lot more liberal with 10-8 rounds Phone Post 3.0

Slade Wilson AKA Deathstroke - Who cares. Phone Post 3.0

You're on an mma discussion site kid, get with the program.

The same judge (Tirelli) who gave out two 10-8's in the Iaquinta vs Lee fight was judging the Overeem fight too. Even more ridiculous