NSAC chair: New PED test company $20-25k/fight

NSAC chair: New PED test company $20-25k/fight

/go=news.detail&gid=443788

Enhanced, out-of-competition drug testing comes to about $45,000 per fight. Testing everyone on a single card would exhaust the entire yearly budget for the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

ZUFFA CEO Lorenzo Fertitta has made a commitment to underwrite the costs where Athletic Commissions think it is merited, but are unable to foot the bill. So far they have paid for Travis Browne vs. Josh Barnett at UFC 168, and Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira at UFC 172. They will be paying for Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Ellenberger at UFC 173.

The testing that government athletic commissions do varies enormously from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but it is fairly typical to do day-of urine testing for PEDs and recreational drugs for title fights, and at random for several other fighters on the card. When a fighter had previously tested for PEDs, the top commissions try to do a non-fight day test. The testing is generally done on urine, and is not comprehensive.

By contrast, the enhanced testing involves flying a lab employee to the athlete multiple times (Jones for example said he was tested four times). Both blood and urine samples are taken. And the samples are subjected to much closer scrutiny at a WADA-accredited lab in Utah, looking for for example HGH and synthetic testosterone.

Now NSAC chair Francisco Aguilar is considering the Missouri-based National Center for Drug Free Sport, which uses independent test collection professionals, and can cut the price to $20,000 per fight. Fighter location is obviously a huge factor in cost, particularly given the high percentage of international fighters on the UFC roster.

"We're just exploring all our options at this point to find a more cost effective way to do this," Aguilar told MMAJunkie.

The same lab, a World Anti-Doping Agency-approved facility in SLC, Utah, would analyze the samples. The difference would be in personnel, which presumably makes for slightly more challengeable chain of custody than having lab employees flown to the test site. Aguilar sad the NCDSF has worked with the NCAA and MLB, which have both dealt with considerable issues abound PEDs. The NCDSF also did the drug testing for Jones vs. Teixeira.

"It's not the only option," said Aguilar. "I'm just trying to be ahead of the game for the July fight."

"If I can get it down to $20,000 or $25,000, I think we'd be in a good position of building on the efficiency of the program. It's an ever-evolving process."

Sending a collector on a plane to get each sample was a stupid idea to begin with. Making sure the procedures used were consistent is a terrible excuse.

As long as a collection company makes sure its DCOs and BCOs know WADA collection procedure, using them is so much more efficient and still consistent from one collector to the next.

I am all for keeping the sport clean, but I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to foot the 45k bill per fight. That's half a million per event, if they test everyone on the card....that's effing insane.

Maybe start off just testing the main event fighters, until a cheaper solution is available.

Ya. Til then, just keep giving out IQ tests Phone Post 3.0

i do not believe a fuck of those costs, just use WADA, and you can get it to $500-750 per test

Morpheus1976 - i do not believe a fuck of those costs, just use WADA, and you can get it to $500-750 per test

You might want to look into seeing if WADA actually even tests anybody.. just a thought.

I pity the fools who think NSAC/Zuffa actually want to do anything about drugs and I pity those noble anti-doping crusaders who will always be fighting a losing battle.

The costs are that high because they want them to be that high. Random testing does not cost 45K per athlete in other sports. That is ridiculous.

But I don't give a shit anyway.

Bring back ViTRTor and shut the fuck up about this nonsense.

Let the fighters take what they want(any legal substance). Careers are too short as it is. PED's help them recover faster, fight more often and at a higher level.

Morpheus1976 - i do not believe a fuck of those costs, just use WADA, and you can get it to $500-750 per test

ya but wasnt this whole thing to move away from the commission run WADA testing?

Clarence Parents - 

You might want to look into seeing if WADA actually even tests anybody.. just a thought.

its their standards that labs follow

lolll - 
Clarence Parents - 

That's correct. But WADA does not do the testing. So saying "just use WADA and you can get it for $500-750 per test" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

So a testing procedure that was estimated to cost $45,000/per fight is now estimated to cost $20,000/per fight in less than a week?

Can we get a breakdown of these costs!

What is it, leer jet fights for test administers on a weekly basis? Phone Post 3.0

I'd love a break down this is a joke. ... Phone Post 3.0

Moaozinho - So a testing procedure that was estimated to cost $45,000/per fight is now estimated to cost $20,000/per fight in less than a week?

What is it, leer jet fights for test administers on a weekly basis? Phone Post 3.0
Read the article and you'll get that break down! Or do you suck at reading anything but the title like everyone else Phone Post 3.0

Clarence Parents - 
lolll - 
Clarence Parents - 

That's correct. But WADA does not do the testing. So saying "just use WADA and you can get it for $500-750 per test" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

should have said, use WADA collectors instead for urine/blood.
instead of flying other people around the world.

Moaozinho - So a testing procedure that was estimated to cost $45,000/per fight is now estimated to cost $20,000/per fight in less than a week?

No, if you read correctly they are trying to get the costs down to 20-25k.

Where are people coming up with the $500-$700 cost?

How much does clean baby piss cost nowadays?

Give it the end of the month and the cost will be down to $500 Phone Post 3.0