NSAC considering NON TITLE Fight 5 rounders

I don't want to see 5 rounders across the board as it just sucks up time for other fights.  That said co/main event fights should definitely be potentenial applications of this new rule.  There are countless fights over the years I'd love to have seen go 5 rounds for a variety of reasons.  Doesn't matter whether they're close fights or just good fights, there are plenty of applications.

I'd love to see the judges or someone given the option to extend the fight by 2 rounds if it's deemed a draw after the first three.

5 rounds should only be for shitle tots.

http://leg.state.nv.us/Register/2009Register/R003-09P.pdf

man, I hope this passes.  I honestly think if Rich v. Hendo had been 5 rounds, ACE would have gotten the W.  But regardless any main event on a PPV should be 5 rounds.  I'd also like to see #1 contender fights to be 5 rounds.

OuTkAsTTTTT69 - 
Tomato Can - All major fights between top 10 contenders should be 5 rounds

Ryan MacLeod - Also, it looks like you've scratched the provision that requires the fighters to be drug tested before or after a fight. Now it's only if the commission chooses to do so.

Is this a cost cutting measure? Is it really a good idea to decrease the amount of testing?

Are you still planning to test on a regular basis even with the by-law ammendment?
You have misread.  There is no decrease.

Ryan MacLeod - 
KeithKizer -  http://leg.state.nv.us/Register/2009Register/R003-09P.pdf

Keith are those the changes or just the proposed changes?

Proposed changes.  Please keep letting me know your thoughts on them.  Thanks.

Keith, is my understanding correct? Is it basically already at the promoter's discretion to decide what fights are 5 rounders, regardless of whether a "title" is involved?

Thanks for posting.

KeithKizer -  http://leg.state.nv.us/Register/2009Register/R003-09P.pdf

Thanks, Keith.

This proposed addition caught my attention and I hadn't seen it in the press:

4. A person who promotes an amateur contest or exhibition shall provide primary

insurance coverage in the amount of $25,000 or more for each unarmed combatant who is not

a licensed contestant to provide medical, surgical and hospital care for unarmed combatants

who are injured while engaged in an amateur contest or exhibition.

5. A promoter or a person who promotes an amateur contest or exhibition may provide

excess insurance coverage under the terms set forth in this section if:

(a) Primary insurance coverage is not readily available for purposes of this section; and

(b) He provides advance notice to the Commission.

Tomato Can - Keith, is my understanding correct? Is it basically already at the promoter's discretion to decide what fights are 5 rounders, regardless of whether a "title" is involved?

Thanks for posting.
Good question. Looks like the commission has to approve a promoter's request for a 5 rounder:

...which the Commission considers to be a special event...

Additionally, the way I read the change, title fights can be less than 5 rounds if so desired.

i like all of the proposed changes

I'm kindof on the fence about this. It would would have been great to see Kampman/Condit go five rounds but who really could have had the forsight to know that was going to be as much of a barnburner that it was. My biggest worry is how do you determine what is worthy of a 5 round fight. Main events are a good start but where do you draw the line? Do you go main events on PPV and UFC events only or do you extend it out to Ultimate Fight Nights as well? What about TUF Finales? I guaran-fucking-tee we would have all been better off seeing Guida/Diaz go two more rounds.

Also how does the risk of injury come into evertything? Naturally the longer you fight the higher your risk of injury increases but what about during training. Would a fighter train differently for a five round fight than a three rounder? That extra stress preparing for two more potential rounds is just more risk for an injury during training.

BiggestIdiotEver - ...how do you determine what is worthy of a 5 round fight. Main events are a good start but where do you draw the line? Do you go main events on PPV and UFC events only or do you extend it out to Ultimate Fight Nights as well? What about TUF Finales? I guaran-fucking-tee we would have all been better off seeing Guida/Diaz go two more rounds.

I'm curious about this question, too.

I think it is really has two parts: one for the promotion to decide (should?) and one for the commission (allowable?). The former is a business decision. The latter one of safety for the contestants.

I think 5 round fights should be reserved for title matches. However I would like to see rounds lengthened to 6 minutes for all fights.

"All main event and #1 contender fights should be 5 rounds."

I definitely agree with main event fights being five rounds. #1 contenders, not sure, but it probably wouldn't bother me.

But in general I definitely like the idea of allowing for five-round non-title fights. There are times where it's just needed. Like Chuck vs. Wanderlei, Hendo-Franklin, etc.

"Good question. Looks like the commission has to approve a promoter's request for a 5 rounder:"

Right, but looking at some of the stuff that has passed as a "title fight" I have a hard time believing that any commission is going to reject any fight the UFC requests as such. I mean, it's bafflingly stupid that Varner/Cerrone was 5 rounds while stuff like Sherk/Edgar and Guida/Sanchez weren't.

Tomato Can - "Good question. Looks like the commission has to approve a promoter's request for a 5 rounder:"

Right, but looking at some of the stuff that has passed as a "title fight" I have a hard time believing that any commission is going to reject any fight the UFC requests as such. I mean, it's bafflingly stupid that Varner/Cerrone was 5 rounds while stuff like Sherk/Edgar and Guida/Sanchez weren't.
Agree completely, which is why I like the question. Sherk/Edgar and Guida/Sanchez would have been good 5 rounders, too. What criteria will the NSAC use in determining whether a fight would be approved as a "special event" worthy of the extra time?

K-Dub-"T" -  5 rouders should only be used when there is a close 3 round fight.

(Serra/Hughes, Franklin/Hendo, Uno/Fisher)

I don't quite agree with this. One more period of "sudden victory" would be just fine, but that would have to mean there are more 10-8 and 10-10 rounds to force a tie. I remember the TUF1 finals allowed for this situation.

4 rounds for non title main card fights...if you can't win 3 of 4 rounds, you don't deserve the W. Solves everything.

although i'll take 5 round main events over 3 any day of the week...but my solution is better