NY ISP's blocking gun websites

If you live in NY or have a VPN  that connects to NY try going to ghostguns.com. You will get a HTTP 451 error. 

"Description

In computer networking, HTTP 451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons is an error status code of the HTTP protocol to be displayed when the user requests a resource which cannot be served for legal reasons, such as a web page censored by a government"

The site works fine outside NY

It appears they are attempting to block sales of restricted items under their NYS Safe Act

"Web page censored by the government."

Scary shit.

2 Likes

Who needs Net Neutrality?

jimmy23 -

Doesn't net neutrality give the government more control of what we can, and cannot see?

5 Likes
Bad Monkey -
jimmy23 -

Doesn't net neutrality give the government more control of what we can, and cannot see?

Yes. He has no idea what he's posting half the time. He just loves it when we talk about him or engage him in anyway.

2 Likes

Yep, just got the error trying to go there 

How do you get around it?

Abradolf Lincler -

How do you get around it?

VPN from a non NY address should work

Ghost Guns

https://ghostguns.com

THE PURCHASE OF "GHOST GUNS" OR "GHOST GUN" PARTS FOR ASSEMBLY IS UNLAWFUL IN NEW JERSEY AND NEW YORK. THE CONTENTS OF ...

Reprehensible. 

Yea doesn't work. Works fine with VPN. 

Yup.

Same for me.

Error 451

Altofsky - 

Reprehensible. 

Not sure about the reprehensible part.

While I think the gun laws are ABSURD, unconstitutional, and do nothing to reduce crime, they are the law of the land.

I view it similar to gambling websites. They’re not legal in NY so they’re blocked, but all you have to do is take a 5 minute train ride to NJ to place a bet (legal there).

billyball2 -
Altofsky - 

Reprehensible. 

While I think the gun laws are ABSURD, unconstitutional, and do nothing to reduce crime, they are the law of the land.

I view it similar to gambling websites. They’re not legal in NY so they’re blocked, but all you have to do is take a 5 minute train ride to NJ to place a bet (legal there).

Viewing the websites containing things not legal in your state is not against the law. The website clearly states it wont sell to those places. I suspect you can still view the odds for betting online even though its still not legal.

4 Likes
HillboFrateTrane -

The feds did the exact same thing with backpage. 

The feds seized it for criminal activity IIRC.

https://52.25.59.18/

Sogsteel -
HillboFrateTrane -

The feds did the exact same thing with backpage. 

The feds seized it for criminal activity IIRC.

I'm pretty sure they found underage prositutes on there. 

Sogsteel - 
billyball2 -
Altofsky - 

Reprehensible. 

Viewing the websites containing things not legal in your state is not against the law. The website clearly states it wont sell to those places. I suspect you can still view the odds for betting online even though its still not legal.

“website clearly states it wont sell to those places”

Those are just words. There’s nothing preventing them from doing so.

I’m not on the side of this, but it’s consistent with other actions taken in similar situations.

billyball2 -
Sogsteel - 
billyball2 -
Altofsky - 

Reprehensible. 

“website clearly states it wont sell to those places”

Those are just words. There’s nothing preventing them from doing so.

I’m not on the side of this, but it’s consistent with other actions taken in similar situations.

There is legal precedent for companies importing gun parts illegal within the imported state. You can look at the lawsuit California filed against multiple companies for importing magazine parts kits.

Is that a site that sells build kits, and do those require a permit?