NY MMA JUDGING SEMINAR?

I will be in NYC pretty much full-time through the end of May working on a film, and I am thinking about doing a Judging seminar. As MMA has become firmly enmeshed in the sporting fabric of our culture, and with events likely in NYC relatively soon, I wonder if it would be a good idea to do a seminar. What do you guys think? Let me know.

Post any valid suggestions.

-Where do you think I should do it?
-How many people do you think could/would attend?
-How much should I charge for 1 day/3-4 hour Seminar?
-What charity should I involve for the proceeds? (I'd personally choose Wounded Warriors Foundation or a local animal shelter).
-Should the tone be more of a "This is a scorecard, this is a pen, those are the fighters"-type thing, or a sophisticated engagement of concepts like scoring philosophy, criticism, and the Judging strategies?

I'm curious what you guys think.

Best to you all,

-Douglas Crosby/MMA Judging Genius-in-Residence

Whats the film oh judging master?

Seems like there is a ton of stuff you could cover, from actually how to score MMA fights maybe as compared to scoring a boxing match. Or maybe do it on how to become a judge, the process, where you have to go, what you have to do, etc..

Guess it depends on the people you get. I don't really know a damned thing about judging, but if you're trying to attract people that are interested in doing it for the first time, you might get a lot of interest.

I'd never think I could actually do it since I don't have any experience boxing, or fighting. But you never know, fans of the sport might make good judges, but you can't just become a judge with no experience can you?

You've got to start with boxing, small time, and work your way up over the years, than maybe get a chance to do MMA?

Seems like a good idea tho.

I would think the athletic commission would want some involvement in this since they would likely be in control of the judges once the bill is in effect.

I think the commission should be better educated themselves before worrying about actual judges. Most of the people will be coming from a boxing background and it is important to educate them on the differences as well as overcoming the whole "guy on the bottom is losing" stereotype, etc.

Douglas Crosby - ...a sophisticated engagement of concepts like scoring philosophy, criticism, and the Judging strategies?

I'd be interested in that approach.

Can you get/show tapes? A good mix of theory and practice sounds like an ideal balance.

I would be very tempted to attend, but I don't about flying up to NYC.

bring cecil

NJstileNJ - bring cecil

I'd pay for his ticket.

what are your credentials? I may have a venue for you to use....

ttt

Are you interested in coming to Ontario to do a seminar, Douglas?

Shoot me an email at mmaglobalna@gmail.com

Thanks.

Mike

"scoring philosophy, criticism, and the Judging strategies"

ttt

All I care is you get all judges on the same page.

ttt for uncle Douglas

-Where do you think I should do it?

About an hour or so North of the City so you can get some Upstate folks as well.

-How many people do you think could/would attend?

25-30

-How much should I charge for 1 day/3-4 hour Seminar?

$30 -50 ?  Maybe more if its a certification

-What charity should I involve for the proceeds? (I'd personally choose Wounded Warriors Foundation or a local animal shelter).

Wounded Warrior Project would be great.

-Should the tone be more of a "This is a scorecard, this is a pen, those are the fighters"-type thing, or a sophisticated engagement of concepts like scoring philosophy, criticism, and the Judging strategies?

The latter.  We all know what a pen and a scorecard is.  Your philosphy on scoring and startegies would be great.

-Douglas Crosby/MMA Judging Genius-in-Residence

ttt

NJstileNJ - bring cecil

ttt

does attending this seminar make it possible for you to be a judge for the athletic commission when mma comes to NY? or could you then judge in other states?