NYC people.. is it true...

..there piles of trash near the streets like I see in movies?

If so that is crazy to me

PHOENIXmike - 

on garbage day?

Yes...

1 Like

Why would it be in a movie if it's not true?

I've never been but I've always imagined NY streets like that of either Friday the 13th part 8 or the movie se7en.

Always raining, dirty, gritty, steam or whatever it is you see come into frame at random. 

lionsoul -
PHOENIXmike - 

on garbage day?

Yes...

Yup. 

Down in Manhattan there are piles of garbage 15 feet long and four feet high most days just piled on the sidewalk. No shit. 

lionsoul -
PHOENIXmike - 

on garbage day?

Yes...

Lol

Briscoe -

I've never been but I've always imagined NY streets like that of either Friday the 13th part 8 or the movie se7en.

Always raining, dirty, gritty, steam or whatever it is you see come into frame at random. 

It doesn't always rain. It is always dirty and has a grey feel. You don't feel the grit until you get home. And the steam is funny to me. It's not always there, but it's there. 

1 Like
clattymine -
Briscoe -

It doesn't always rain. It is always dirty and has a grey feel. You don't feel the grit until you get home. And the steam is funny to me. It's not always there, but it's there. 

Accurate. 

Didn't this image of New York having trash in the streets come from some labour strike where the garbage wasn't picked up for a long period of time?

JLK -

Didn't this image of New York having trash in the streets come from some labour strike where the garbage wasn't picked up for a long period of time?

Nope, still happens. The next Saturday I'm down at work won't be until December but I'll see if I can get a pic of one of The garbage bag mountains that line the sidewalks most days. 

It's still clean even on trash day. There is enough room to walk in the sidewalks without hitting trash bags.

The city is clean especially considering all the people that live and visit.

But I’m speaking of pre diblasio days so maybe there is shit all over the streets now thanks to diversity.

Its more a product of so many people stuffed into a small area that produces so much waste. Yes the garbage is piled over 10 foot high but its picked up. The current policy of letting bums and homeless people clog the subways so riders have to step over them is much more bothersome.

Briscoe -

Fun Fact:

According to Brad Pitt, there was originally a scene where Mills and Somerset discussed "thumb recall"; cut off the thumb of anyone convicted of a violent crime, and there's no way they'd be able to fire a gun. The scene was ultimately cut from the film, because they were afraid someone would "roll with it."

Image result for interesting gif

1 Like

when i was younger and drunk after bars let out i would stage dive onto those piles of trash

i stopped that when a bunch of giant rats popped out after i landed

Blizass -

It's still clean even on trash day. There is enough room to walk in the sidewalks without hitting trash bags.

The city is clean especially considering all the people that live and visit.

But I’m speaking of pre diblasio days so maybe there is shit all over the streets now thanks to diversity.

City is dirty as fuck now

Al Cappucino -
Briscoe -

Fun Fact:

According to Brad Pitt, there was originally a scene where Mills and Somerset discussed "thumb recall"; cut off the thumb of anyone convicted of a violent crime, and there's no way they'd be able to fire a gun. The scene was ultimately cut from the film, because they were afraid someone would "roll with it."

Image result for interesting gif

Awesome! I love finding out random facts like that about movies.

1 Like
clattymine -
Briscoe -

Any city with piped steam lines has this.  

Garbage, no...but I actually kind of like the steam in cities.

Theres something cool about it.

Yes, and not just on garbage days. The whole city is dirty.

I like to think of Coming to America "America is great indeed, imagine a country so free one can throw glass on the street!"

Yea, stinky garbage on the sidewalks.  The city is really starting to feel dirty, but maybe I'm just getting older.  Then you go to the Christmas Village at Bryant Park and the city is awesome again.  Maybe it's just bifurcating.

Its like they lack sufficient alley ways for their trash.....