NYT: Jones the 'perfect ambassador' for MMA

I really got VD twice for that post. Thats brutal. Phone Post 3.0

Isaac Bickerstaff - 

LOL at sports needing ambassadors.  Nobody says this about American football, which is full of thugs, deadbeats, murderers, rapists, and all around despicable people.  Add in the brutal injuries and permanent brain damage and it is just ridiculous that mma would have to somehow have a perfect public image.  You only need that when you don't have clout and money.  Boxing is about as detestable a sport as you can find when it comes to corruption and sleaziness but there is enough money behind it that it doesn't require ambassadors.  Only mma gets this kind of crap.

QFT

Nonlinear - 

the reason everyone hates him is because he is a rich uppity negro with talents gifts and a brain, pretty much the scariest thing ever.  If everyone were thrown on the savanna together the Jones bros would be ruling all from a throne made of human skulls while they make babies with the widows and daughters and grand daughters of their enemies.

"I have a Stephen King horrow movie, 'Nigga with a brain', we'll see how that scares people.  Niggas in school, how about that Stephen?"

-Paul Mooney

So what exactly has Jon Jones done or said that would lead you to lump him in to the category of "nigga with a brain"? The guy has a community college education, seems to have no investment whatsoever in identifying as a black American, and puts his foot in his mouth pretty much every time he opens it. I wouldn't deny there is a lot of very overt racism in this country and amongst MMA fans in particular, but to act like Jones is some kind of radical figure like Ali who is hated for being "uppity" is absurd. Personality-wise the guy is as close to an Uncle Tom or a "house-negro" as you can get. I mean, the guy narced on people for smoking weed, for Christ's sake.

Love the end of the article which basically states you can like Jones, he is a decent guy, but the sport sucks. Phone Post 3.0