O-Goshi - any books on?

As some of you might know, I'm a complete judo newbee -this is the first throw I'm being taught - any books on it? (or is not used very much in competition?)

IMO you don't need a book to do this throw. Just do lots of throwing and ask your instructor or higher belts if you're doing it right.

Ogoshi is not a high percentage competition move.

judoinfo.com has lots of detailed descriptions of this and other moves. But, since you come from bjj I will say that uchimata and harai gosh are the two key throws you should be learning to perfection.

thanks, Hunter V. I'm sure those will come later since
O-Goshi, O-uchi-gari, ko-uchi-gari, and O-soto-gari, are what I'll be learning first.

as said before o-goshi is not a throw you will get on any judoka with more than a month practice..

but you can get it in combinations!

youll see some ogoshi throws in the women's divisions and as counters in the men's divisions.

youll also see it in the heavyweight divisions quite frequently.

its not that the throw cant work, its just that its a very basic throw and, as such, tends to be a pretty simple throw to block as well.

exactly.

FatBudda...
The first 4 throws that you are learning will give a strong base for later throws that you will learn. The more you throw the more proficient you will be.

Take it one day at a time. Get the basics and the little things down firmly. It will pay off in the long run.

famliman is correct.

The first set of the gokyo no waza (the first 8 throws of every judo cirriculum) sets the base for later more difficult throws.

O-goshi & uki goshi will prepare you for all koshi waza (hip)techniques. You'll be learning proper kuzushi (tsukuri & kake too), tai sabaki and balance as well as the mechanics.

Thanks for the advice and insight everyone. Thanks Familian, you will have to introduce yourself again with your real name and screen name to me since I met so many people the first few days. Good advice, thanks.

OK FatBuddha, I think I'm having some disonance here. I was at the dojo last night, came in late and did not step on the mat. I saw a new guy there but I was expecting FatBuddha to be, well, FAT. LOL!
Was that you?

Hey Felipe123 LOL. You will have to introduce yourself too with your screenname so I can get everyone straight! I'm kind of fat no?

FatBuddha, Like BIC and others have said, o-goshi will help later w/ harai-goshi,etc. Coming from a BJJ background, its neat to see the the differences in grip and setup in gi and no gi. B/c of your BJJ training you should have the hip throw,side and back throw, leg wrap and leg block throw, as well as baiana, single and probably a really bad stomach throw ;) j/k

The differences in grip and setup are due to worrying about strikes. That is the context in which the trows are taught usually, but some instructors teach them fron the gi grips Judo style. Grips usually are overwrap/underwrap and neck v. lapel and sleeve, belt and over the back.Setups in BJJ are off the clinch from pummeling and bodylock v. Judo grips and footwork.

There's really not much difference in the throws, just the grips and setups, so I think you'll find learning the throws faily easy, unless your BJJ training revolved around pulling guard. A guy in my daughters Judo class did BJJ for over two years, but seems to have focused much to heavily on ground grappling and has really bad clinching and stand-up grappling skill. Others who spent a good amount of time working clinh and pummeling have a much easier time.

FatBuddha

Book knowledge is good don't get me wrong, but there's nothing like OJT....(on the job training). With all of your throws, you will make some variations based on your opponents size, strength etc....

I use Ogoshi/Ukigoshi all of the time. It's one of my top 3 throws, and works against lots of good people. Most of the people at my club have had to change the way the way they fight me in order to defend against me throwing it.

I'd venture to say you see it more at the world/national level than a traditional Harai Goshi. Budolin crushes people with it all the time

"...so I think you'll find learning the throws fairly easy, unless your bjj training revolved around jumping to guard"

uh oh

[Fatbuddha glances around nervously]

"uh oh"

LOL!!!!

You definitely aren't alone. I actually think I had an advantage b/c I spent most of my time in the t-shirt class. We had to work on entries, clinch, dealing with the punches, etc. You learned how to pummel and get control of your opponent. Later, my JKDC training reflected this background and provided me an excellent foundation. And at this stage, throwing has become a pet project as well as reincorporating the gi into my training.

The guys who trained for BJJ competition tended to concentrate the majority of their time on submissions and setups, hence the groundwork emphasis and "god forbid" pulling guard.