O soto gari question..

I´ve practiced o soto gari now for a while the way it is regularly taught in judo clubs here. High grip (left-handed), step parallel, pull his elbow out, chest to chest contact, trying to bring ukes weight on the foot I am about to do the throw on.

However I have not really been able to to do the throw like this in sparring. I have also never seen it done in competition like this. Usually there is no step and offbalancing but rather a sort of a kick type motion with the throwing foot and then hopping on the other leg and driving through at the same time. Is that the more efficient version of o soto gari? Any pointers how to practice this variation?

Thanks,
Indrek

Check out my comments on the uchikomi thread, and then check out Yamashita. It is often taught in a way that does not mirror reality.

Good Luck with it.

As Ashy mentioned, Yamashita does NOT sweep but hooks and drives.

Here is an article of it:

http://bestjudo.com/article4.shtml

When it comes to osoto, I believe that the further you drive your leg past the leg you are going to eventually attack, the less likely it is going to be there when you do finally get around to the reaping part.

Osoto is a great throw though. I remember awhile back... going up against this kung fu guy....I slammed the living shit out of him with osoto!

furrows brow..strokes goatee

"Wait a minute! That wasn't me. That was Josh," sighs

Thanks a lot ashy and turtle9uard..

That was a pretty good article and the Yamashita video was a good example.

Greets,
Indrek

Still, the basic Osoto is important. If you can do it technically well moving, then you should try the cross body Osoto for randori and shiai if you want to do an Osoto. Hopefully you have a coach who can teach it correctly.

Ben

Hey Ben!

By cross body you mean the "dynamic" version?

I.

"Regular" Osoto Gari is dynamic or static, like any other throw.

Cross body Osoto can be dynamic or static, like any other throw.

Cross body refers to the fact that you hook uke's leg from in front of them (generally), rather than trying to step in with your left foot (for a RH throw).

You can do a Osoto by hooking the leg from a position similar to the traditional position, but then hop into the traditional position or even further behind uke.

I'd say you should get pretty good at a regular Osoto, at least in a technical sense (not necessarily throwing people in shiai with it) before you get into all the variations. The principles are the same, the entry (ies) are just different for the most part.

Regarding how to practice other versions of Osoto Gari, you would practice it in the same manner, uchi komi, nage komi, etc.

Ben

Thanks!