Obama gave $3.7m to Wuhan lab to study CV in Bats!

https://youtu.be/-9D59HeeYBY

Nice to know we paid for this eh?

1 Like

Later 

Generally tax money seems to just be wasted, it's rare to see an actual quantifiable return.

6 Likes

Tmaguru -

Obama was really good at helping out enemies of humanity. 

Saudia Arabia too, and Trump loves to suck that cock as well 

2 Likes

That sounds like it would be really useful research,

2 Likes

anthonyMI -

Yeah. This place is off-the-charts insane.

1 Like

Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

It's sad what a strong anti-science streak is in the OG and, quite generally, the US. Cutting down research projects like this are not a positive. Without even broaching the CDC and national council controversies with Trump, he had enacted widespread cuts for research on emerging pathogens in countries like Africa and China at the end of 2018 and again in 2019 (as recently as October, one month before US intelligence warned that Wuhan had funky hospital activity and a cataclysm might be on the way). 

There is a lot of poor research culture in China, but there are also strong labs, and there's no reason the US shouldn't be funding important projects, especially if that lends an element of oversight to the work, which it almost certainly would. The US running studies to pre-emptively learn what sort of diseases might break out and to understand their mechanisms of virulence so we can combat them is not a weakness. It's surprisingly sensible work too, since we already understand what sort of changes need to occur for these pathogens to begin fucking with us.

Understanding the origin of a virus is also why we immediately had a list of candidate drugs to start investigating and why we already had a strong idea of which host receptors and proteases were involved in COVID's invasion.  

Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

MattyECB -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

It's sad what a strong anti-science streak is in the OG and, quite generally, the US. Cutting down research projects like this are not a positive. Without even broaching the CDC and national council controversies with Trump, he had enacted widespread cuts for research on emerging pathogens in countries like Africa and China at the end of 2018 and again in 2019 (as recently as October, one month before US intelligence warned that Wuhan had funky hospital activity and a cataclysm might be on the way). 

There is a lot of poor research culture in China, but there are also strong labs, and there's no reason the US shouldn't be funding important projects, especially if that lends an element of oversight to the work, which it almost certainly would. The US running studies to pre-emptively learn what sort of diseases might break out and to understand their mechanisms of virulence so we can combat them is not a weakness. It's surprisingly sensible work too, since we already understand what sort of changes need to occur for these pathogens to begin fucking with us.

Understanding the origin of a virus is also why we immediately had a list of candidate drugs to start investigating and why we already had a strong idea of which host receptors and proteases were involved in COVID's invasion.  

Holy spin Batman!  Let’s give our enemies more

money to research dangerous shit....

3 Likes

Tmaguru -
Junnk -
Tmaguru -

Obama was really good at helping out enemies of humanity. 

Saudia Arabia too, and Trump loves to suck that cock as well 

Agreed.  The USA has no business dealing with any country that clearly places no value on human rights.

This includes Israel.  We need to just fuck right outta the middle east entirely.

Unfortunately the US has been cutting its state department budget and limiting its tool kit for diplomatic pressure outside of warfare. China has been outright ignored while they've begun implementing a literal Hitler and mass sterilizing and executing muslims. And the US has been intimately involved in Saudi Ariabia's crimes against humanity in Yemen and other neighboring countries. I understand foreign policy is personal interest foremost but at some point the US needs to set some standards for human rights and apply pressure.

It's just a little late with China, who we've become so dependent on. Huge failing of neoliberalism to assume that economic freedoms and Dong's move towards open markets would be followed with political liberalizations. Complete fuck up and it's made us freakishly dependent as they basically morph into a fascist regime. Makes me wonder how widespread Huawei's 5G will get. 

TheHerps -
MattyECB -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

Holy spin Batman!  Let’s give our enemies more

money to research dangerous shit....

It's not researching dangerous shit. By your logic, any research on any pathogen is dangerous shit because it can theoretically be applied as a weapon, but that's also so ignorant to the way controlled experiments are run. 

Why do you assume this money is thrown into a black box as well? Most US funding comes with significant strings attached, and it's quite easy to relay data in the modern age. And while China is not above pulling bullshit for their own self-interest, a significant amount of quality research comes out of there that is used and built upon in the west. As far back as 2010, I can think of a few outbreaks for new Ecoli strains or other pathogens where we literally open sourced the gene annotation and worked in concert to achieve huge projects with them.

We aren't completely blind, people can objectively asses research projects, and your logic is so pooor, it implies any translational research in the US is potentially dangerous. He's studying dementia? Oh know, he's going to learn how to weaponize protein aggregates to create a neurodgenerative disease poison for enemy diplomats!!! SCANDAL.

1 Like

MattyECB -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

If given 2 options what would you choose:

A- Do the research domestically, provide jobs for American taxpayers (one of the few things government is actually good for), keep trade secrets and national security interests more secure and ensure better oversight of the handling of dangerous materials. 

Or

B- give money to China and hope they don’t fuck it up in every way mentioned in A. 

1 Like

Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

Ever read the unabombers manifesto?

Dude would've fit right in here.

1 Like

anthonyMI -

No. Because it's Obama. I was actually listening to the video from the other day for a few minutes last night. It started well (where I landed after skipping through about an hr or so of empty podium) with him citing dates and case numbers. But it so quickly devolved into the best economy, the best unemployment numbers, the best this, the best that, all because of our work in the last 3 and a half years... Fucking stay on topic man.

I know the media are a bunch of cunts and we want to defend ourselves when we feel unfairly attacked; but a person in his position should have thick enough skin to take it and do the shit you need to do without making it all about yourself. It wasn't even something that was said during the briefing. He carries this shit around with him. So hung up on the mean things people said about him from yesterday, the day before, the bad review from the other month, etc., etc. Address the current matter instead of always trying to convince people why you should be so revered. It's a relatively thankless job.

Get your attaboys from CEOs and corporations behind the scenes and be happy enough that they appreciate what you're doing for them. The people who complain about Obama not getting beat up by the press make it sound like Fox news never had anything but praise for him. I'm not saying Obama was great and never deserved criticism, I'm just pointing out that we have news stations who will defend and attack particular people based on party and it's been that way for some time now.

If a person can't see how childish and completely meaningless those behaviors are to being POTUS... fuck.

1 Like

Precise_Improvement -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
anthonyMI -

Ever read the unabombers manifesto?

Dude would've fit right in here.

You mean here with you?

Carole Baskin's missing husband paid for their wedding! 

Floppy Divac -
anthonyMI -

No. Because it's Obama. I was actually listening to the video from the other day for a few minutes last night. It started well (where I landed after skipping through about an hr or so of empty podium) with him citing dates and case numbers. But it so quickly devolved into the best economy, the best unemployment numbers, the best this, the best that, all because of our work in the last 3 and a half years... Fucking stay on topic man.

I know the media are a bunch of cunts and we want to defend ourselves when we feel unfairly attacked; but a person in his position should have thick enough skin to take it and do the shit you need to do without making it all about yourself. It wasn't even something that was said during the briefing. He carries this shit around with him. So hung up on the mean things people said about him from yesterday, the day before, the bad review from the other month, etc., etc. Address the current matter instead of always trying to convince people why you should be so revered. It's a relatively thankless job.

Get your attaboys from CEOs and corporations behind the scenes and be happy enough that they appreciate what you're doing for them. The people who complain about Obama not getting beat up by the press make it sound like Fox news never had anything but praise for him. I'm not saying Obama was great and never deserved criticism, I'm just pointing out that we have news stations who will defend and attack particular people based on party and it's been that way for some time now.

If a person can't see how childish and completely meaningless those behaviors are to being POTUS... fuck.

I am a trump guy and i agree with most of what you said, and felt the same way watching the conference yesterday. A few well placed slams of the media are warranted, but the non stop self aggrandizing is just cringey. 

I would never choose a Hillary, BIden, or Sanders over him though. never, never, never. 

1 Like

Imagine that, they were researching this very virus in the city where the virus (completely coincidentally) appeared in humans. 

Definitely nothing to see here, zero chance this escaped the lab. China is known for their strict quality standards.....

3.7 million to some military contractors would have been more than enough to destroy the wet markets and everyone in them :)

ufc98newb -
Floppy Divac -
anthonyMI -

I am a trump guy and i agree with most of what you said, and felt the same way watching the conference yesterday. A few well placed slams of the media are warranted, but the non stop self aggrandizing is just cringey. 

I would never choose a Hillary, BIden, or Sanders over him though. never, never, never. 

I agree. Fuck those fucking fucks.