Obama throwing tantrum and taking ball home

U.S. gives up on U.N. Security Council in Syria crisis, blames Russia

By Louis Charbonneau
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States declared on Thursday that it has given up trying to work with the U.N. Security Council on Syria, accusing Russia of holding the council hostage and allowing Moscow's allies in Syria to deploy poison gas against innocent children.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power's remarks left no doubt that Washington would not seek U.N. approval for a military strike on Syria in response to an August 21 chemical attack near Damascus. She said a draft resolution Britain submitted to the five permanent council members last week calling for a response to that attack was effectively dead.

"I was present in the meeting where the UK laid down the resolution, and everything in that meeting, in word and in body language, suggests that that resolution has no prospect of being adopted, by Russia in particular," Power told reporters.

"Our considered view, after months of efforts on chemical weapons and after 2-1/2 years of efforts on Geneva (peace talks), the humanitarian situation is that there is no viable path forward in this Security Council," she said.

hubris -

U.S. gives up on U.N. Security Council in Syria crisis, blames Russia

By Louis Charbonneau
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States declared on Thursday that it has given up trying to work with the U.N. Security Council on Syria, accusing Russia of holding the council hostage and allowing Moscow's allies in Syria to deploy poison gas against innocent children.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power's remarks left no doubt that Washington would not seek U.N. approval for a military strike on Syria in response to an August 21 chemical attack near Damascus. She said a draft resolution Britain submitted to the five permanent council members last week calling for a response to that attack was effectively dead.

"I was present in the meeting where the UK laid down the resolution, and everything in that meeting, in word and in body language, suggests that that resolution has no prospect of being adopted, by Russia in particular," Power told reporters.

"Our considered view, after months of efforts on chemical weapons and after 2-1/2 years of efforts on Geneva (peace talks), the humanitarian situation is that there is no viable path forward in this Security Council," she said.
That last paragraph sounds like a fancy way of saying that violence is the only possible means to an end. Phone Post 3.0

jarroyo -
That last paragraph sounds like a fancy way of saying that violence is the only possible means to an end.

Hope and Change

For the life of me I will never understand how bombing Syria, and killing more Syrians is going to help anything. It's like we're in a bizarro world. The general public sees sense, yet the media and the politicians keep pushing their nonsensical agenda.

We just need to stop with this Syria shit.

War is hell. We are not the world peace keepers Phone Post 3.0

Hahaha. Cry more, Obama. I hope one day he and his terrorist friends get dragged out of bed and into a prison cell for what they've already done.

What are you guys talking about? The USA has a spotless history of solving conflict with bombing campaigns!

So basically the UN said "hey you don't need to go to war" and Obama is like "fuck you I'm doing it anyway" Phone Post 3.0

They had this panel on CNN discussing Syria with a studio audience. Filling in for the Piers Morgan show of all things. It's the first time I've came away from a program on CNN feeling it was balanced. They had a couple pro war people, but the vast majority was anti. Frankly, from the questions asked the pro-war people came away looking like fools.

JLindahl - So basically the UN said "hey you don't need to go to war" and Obama is like "fuck you I'm doing it anyway" Phone Post 3.0

Yes so Obama wants to bomb Syria illegally in order to punish the Syrian government for an alleged illegal act(no proof).

"new" boss, just like the old boss

You just have to ask "why the fuck does the US gov care so much?"

The answer to that is unfortunately with the conspiracy theorists

So, basically anytime the UN sec council disagrees the US just does what it wanted to do anyway? Why even bother.

So stupid.

What is really crazy is that the population doesn't support it yet elected officials are still gonna do it.

For the people by the people you say? Phone Post 3.0

Judge Napolitano  says invading Syria would be a war crime.

Judge Napolitano: US Strike on Syria Would Be War Crime
Thursday, 05 Sep 2013 05:06 PM
By Greg Richter

A U.S. strike against Syria would be a war crime says former Judge Andrew Napolitano.

Appearing on Fox News Channel on Thursday, Napolitano said that even a limited strike is illegal under international law and violates the U.S. Constitution.

"You can use military force to attack somebody that's attacked you, or you can use military force to attack somebody that's about to attack you," Napolitano said. "You can use military force to come to the aid of an ally that has been attacked when the ally asks for your assistance."

The United States also could use the military to enforce international norms if the United Nations authorizes it.

None of those conditions apply in Syria, Napolitano said, making it a war crime if the United States acts.

He said the 1973 War Powers Act is unconstitutional because it takes away Congress' authority to wage war and gives it to the president in certain circumstances. He said he expects the House to vote down President Barack Obama's request for authorization by about 20 votes. Public sentiment is against action as well, with polls showing more than 60 percent opposed.

"Who wants this to happen besides John Kerry and the president?" Napolitano asked. "Sometimes the president can get lawless – any president – when he has military equipment at his disposal."

So basically Russia said fuck you we wont sanction action and the UN said we can't cause Russia said no.

So Obama said ok but we will go do our own thing we don't need you cause you smell like borsht and vodka.

Obama needs to go home and get his daddy shoes. Dis here a man's game.

Jaybrone - 

So basically Russia said fuck you we wont sanction action and the UN said we can't cause Russia said no.

So Obama said ok but we will go do our own thing we don't need you cause you smell like borsht and vodka.

More like in the negotiations, the USA demanded everything.

Russia said that's insane, let's see how we can work this out.

The USA said fuck this, if we can't get everything that we demand we're leaving and attacking Syria anyway. Oh also the USA blames Russia for blocking the USA's unreasonable demands.

If Congress votes "no"to a military strike but Obama initiates it anyways, what would happen if our military said, nah, fuck that, congress and the people of the United States said no and it could potentially be a war crime...could that happen?? Or does he have ultimate authority as commander in chief? Phone Post 3.0

God. I saw a clip of Diane Feinstein. When responding to the fact that her office has be inundated with anti-war sentiment she's like "I understand! But they don't know what I know!". They do, bitch! Even if Assad did it they STILL don't want intervention in Syria. PERIOD. It's not in the interest of national security. She can't get that into her head.