Obama vacation to Africa = $50-100 million?

Are there any other sources for this? This almost seems like a joke, but I can't find any clues to say it is actually a joke. 

President Obama and his family will be going to Africa later this month. But the trip won't be cheap; it's expected to cost American taxpayers $60 to $100 million, according to the Washington Post.

Link

"Someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so that someone else can have more" - Michelle Obama 2008.

That's more than the GDP of half of Africa Phone Post

Worth $200 million if they keep him there!

ksac - Here we go again. Maybe Hannity can do the math for us.

He was great at it in college. Phone Post

I think $50 mil is a stretch but imagine the logistics it takes for the pres to go anywhere especially a shithole like Africa. Phone Post 3.0

I take it these numbers are from the same people that claimed it would cost $100-200 million to send Obama to India?

disgusting

awilson82 - I think $50 mil is a stretch but imagine the logistics it takes for the pres to go anywhere especially a shithole like Africa. Phone Post 3.0

that's why he shouldn't go.

the country is in debt and the economy sux.

awilson82 - I think $50 mil is a stretch but imagine the logistics it takes for the pres to go anywhere especially a shithole like Africa. Phone Post 3.0

This.

I think that money could be used a bit more wisely. 

Is it a straight vacation or is he meeting with leaders Phone Post 3.0

This living President is living it up on our dead Presidents.

"One of the most expensive trips this president will ever make because of the lack of security of the countries he's visiting...."

Here is a very brief list of some of the expenditures.

-100s of U.S. Secret Service agents (including 100s solely for security checkpoints)
-56 support vehicles (including 14 limousines)
-Offshore trauma center, fully staffed
-Special ammo for lions
-12 cargo planes to fly all the equipment
-Fighter jets running 24/7 patrolling over the airspace
-1 Navy aircraft carrier

^ Oh yeah, the African governments are definitely to blame for the cost.

Tides go in Tides go out..... Abortion is murder..... Government is after us..... DER TAKING OUR GUNS AWAY!!!!......  Obama's spending 13billion on __________......... Fox News correction Obama spent $13 not 13 billion.

Rinse Wash Repeat

the chief - This living President is living it up on our dead Presidents.

"One of the most expensive trips this president will ever make because of the lack of security of the countries he's visiting...."

-100s of U.S. Secret Service agents (including 100s solely for security checkpoints)
-Special ammo for lions
-1 Navy aircraft carrier

just wondering a few things when they do the math to figure this number out.......

a navy aircraft carrier is gonna be really expensive, but it is out at sea anyway, its out there doing its thing so I would imagine parking it off the coast of africa would cost little or no more then parking it off the coast of anywhere else.  So are they take what it costs per day even though its already in use or are they just adding the few bucks extra it might cost.  Same goes for the 100 Secret Service agents, they are already on the payroll, so ya they now go to Africa as opposed to an office but they are getting paid either way.  I am pretty sure when people come up with these numbers they are adding the cost of there weeks pay but its not like they are hiring them just for this week.  We have the support vehicles and the fighter jet is flying around at this moment somewhere training, same goes for a lot of things on this list.  I would like to know what the additional cost is cause from where I stand we are paying a lot for this already, whats the cost of all this if he stayed home?

Jesus H Christ Obama takes a ton of vacations and golf games wtf

Josh Balis - 
the chief - This living President is living it up on our dead Presidents.

-Special ammo for lions
-1 Navy aircraft carrier

just wondering a few things when they do the math to figure this number out.......

a navy aircraft carrier is gonna be really expensive, but it is out at sea anyway, its out there doing its thing so I would imagine parking it off the coast of africa would cost little or no more then parking it off the coast of anywhere else.  So are they take what it costs per day even though its already in use or are they just adding the few bucks extra it might cost.  Same goes for the 100 Secret Service agents, they are already on the payroll, so ya they now go to Africa as opposed to an office but they are getting paid either way.  I am pretty sure when people come up with these numbers they are adding the cost of there weeks pay but its not like they are hiring them just for this week.  We have the support vehicles and the fighter jet is flying around at this moment somewhere training, same goes for a lot of things on this list.  I would like to know what the additional cost is cause from where I stand we are paying a lot for this already, whats the cost of all this if he stayed home?

Good questions for sure. I myself am not qualified, nor do I possess the information at this point to be able to itemize all the costs associated with this trip. Perhaps more information will surface in the weeks to come.

However, the idea that "if he didn't take this trip, the 'non-trip' would cost about the same" seems absurd to me.

can't put a price on a father and sons bonding Phone Post 3.0

Here's some more perspective...

As of 2001, the president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.

On the other hand...

In 2011, taxpayers spent $1,400,000,000 (aka 1.4 billion dollars) on everything from staffing, housing, flying and entertaining President Obama and his family.

couldn't he just stay with relatives to save some cash?