obligated to teach if a bb?

So with the festivus season coming around a few people are going away. Namely the head instructor.

So as a bb do you think it is required to fill in? Mind you it is not a paid position and I'm busy as well. Whether I turn up to class I'm not sure as I'll be wrecked from work.

I know some people would be gagging to have the opportunity to do it. Me not so much.

Have you been asked to fill in? For free?

Assuming so, then I'd say that unless there's some unwritten BJJ rule at play here, "no." 

If you've been training for free for some length of time, then I could see the instructor (and you) having a feeling that you're somehow morally obliged to help out with the admin of the school. 

But assuming you've always paid for your training, then picking up teaching responsibilites is basically a favor.  You could do it, or not.  But I don't see how you're obligated either way. 

Been paying since the beginning. Still paying.

There would probably be a gi in it for me but payment was never mentioned as I didn't get that far before I said no. Pretty sure is a non paid role as a few other guys aren't getting paid. They just haven't been around the block to see what I've seen.

Yeah, I dont think you're obligated if you've been paying.

In another vein, you're a balckbelt and you have to pay to class?  I hope you're training at AOJ or Cobrinhas.  wtf.

Its his business. Why should I expect to get free training?

A bb doesn't mean shit.

When I visit other gyms I ask to pay but most people say it's fine to train for free. Actually all have.

But I still pay and have no n problem with paying. Seems like some people have a sense of entitlement after they get a bb

You wouldn't have to pay to drop in at our place.  You would be asked to share some knowledge, that's it. So if your ever in Hawaii.

We all get sucked into filling in. Just a fact of bjj life. Do it for the sake of your club and teammates. Or next time, just say no. For me, I fill in less than ever since bb, mostly because I had kids, so I just had to say "sorry, can't do it." My coach understands that and doesn't even ask me anymore. But if you were going to be training at those times anyway, why not just go ahead and lead those classes?

But I understand your mixed feelings, too. I don't even like to teach anymore. It's not like when I was a purple and thought I was Mr. Technical Awesome Teacher. Phone Post 3.0

dojo stormer - Its his business. Why should I expect to get free training?

A bb doesn't mean shit.

When I visit other gyms I ask to pay but most people say it's fine to train for free. Actually all have.

But I still pay and have no n problem with paying. Seems like some people have a sense of entitlement after they get a bb

This is all well and good if you just show up and take class, but being a blackbelt usually entails sharing knowledge with others.  Your presence, even just for drilling with a white belt, is helping to improve the overall quality of instruction as well as the experience of paying members.  

I can understand wanting to contribute, but I hope your tuition is not the same as a white or blue belt who just shows up to take class.

This is from a brownbelt who regularly teaches a class full of white belts around 2 times a week and pays the same as everyone else.

When someone asks a question I answer it.

I'm not jumping up and down being an attention whore. Hate those guys

the guy should pay u to teach

If you don't want to or you are busy then I say its fine to say no.

If you want to help the guy out and its not to much trouble then sure do it and he should come to some financial deal with you too. Your time is valuable as well

The instructor is a human too and needs down time like all the guys at the gym but you don't have to do it and if you don't he should not get disappointed with you either.

The instructor is the boss and he should deal with who is going to cover for him.

A bb doesn't mean shit.

This is all perfectly good reasoning. 

But consider . . .

I don't know if this describes your situation or not, but in a lot of areas having more than one black belt at a school is a serious luxury and rarity. Many schools have NO black belts other than by affiliation, so having not just one but two or more makes a school much more marketable and "legitimate."

Where I train now has two black belts from different lineages--one under Royce (the owner) and one under Osiander (one of the instructors). This is noted on the website, and I expect it helps draw in a lot of folks. 

So it's not necessarily a purely entitlement mindset. If you're part of the appeal of the school and you're helping develop the newer students, then it's not totally crazy to think that some added incentive to keep you on board is something the owner should consider if you request it. 

On the other hand, if this person has charged fair rates to shape you from white belt newb to black belt grappling savant, then it's also reasonable to think that you may feel a sense of loyalty or even moral indebtedness. If that's the case, then I can also see being willing to teach for free on occasion just because "it's the thing to do." Whether you've paid or not, it's still "your school" and you should want to contribute to the development of the next generation. 

Really depends on the individual dynamics, I think. But I can see some rationale both ways. 

A bb doesn't mean shit.

I used to not think this way until I got my black belt, maybe I saw it a brown but certainly not before that.

Teach if you want, if you do get paid. Or if there is another arrangement honor it. Other than that, don't feel obligated.

I'm almost in the exact same situation.

I don't think there can be any general rule. Totally depends upon the dynamics, relationship, etc. Some schools are barely covering their bills. It's few and far between getting rich. I was unemployed a couple of times and my instructor stopped charging me. Just didn't want me to have to stop...That was for over a year without expecting anything in return. I might not have gotten back into bjj if I was out that long. That would've been a far bigger loss to me.

In general I make good money and don't need to get paid to teach. The other aspect is that all of our upper belts have always been very generous with their time during open mats, etc. Just feel like I'm paying it forward a bit. And it's not a business relationship. My academy is more family to me.

I agree with everything most have said. You aren't obligated but at the same time if he's ever helped you out, etc it might be time to repay the favor. Only you know the answer for the relationship but as far as a blanket are you obligated bc of a black belt no.

Something else To consider: Liability. Make sure they have their ducks in a row in the event someone gets injured in the class should you teach..... Esp if u aren't all that about it Phone Post 3.0

I think Black Belt students should not be obligated to teach unless they are compensated for it. It's pretty lame of the owner to expect you to help for free.

Likewise, I don't think students should be expected to get free training, even if they are black belts.

depends...is your instructor brazlian?

Obviously every case is different, but as someone who has trained in places with a lot of experienced guys and gyms with very inexperienced guys there is a difference. Training is much better quality wise if you have better guys. A white belt is not offering the same value in training partner as a black belt and the black belt should not be expected to pay the same if the gym is in a position to allow it. If the gym isn't making rent then it'sbit harder.

Is he getting paid while lounging on a beach somewhere, while you work for free? Someone is being taken advantage of.

Sometimes you get sucked in and have to teach. When you do you get the good and the bad. You'll probably get free training, but you'll also have to deal with the drama and politics. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just rather paid.