obligated to teach if a bb?

IMO (I am a BB) you either pay normal fees to train or teach in lieu of fee payment (maybe making $$$ as well if you do it a lot).

The gym has overheads, and unless it's a community center or something, if you train there you should contribute to its upkeep one way or another.

Another thing to consider is that you should be teaching or competing if you expect to be awarded degree stripes on your BB.

It's a good question. I suppose there is nothing wrong with asking it as a favor once in a while, usually by blackbelt the head coach would have given the bb way more than their weekly fees worth in help, after hours assistance, lifts, showing up at comps for a whole weekend, a free tshirt or patch here and there. So I guess it's reasonable.

At my Academy I pay all of my coaches and I expect them to do a damn good job lol. Phone Post 3.0

Teaching improves your game. I understand time commitments etc but if you're going to be there anyway, why not teach and have fun doing it?

Just because you have your blue belt doesn't mean you should be teaching. Phone Post