obtaining a whizzer

Having trouble getting a whizzer from a right on right grip.Any tips?

The whizzer is something you usually manuever for before you both lock on grips.

Try working a two on one on his right arm, move a little to his right side, and reach under, secure lapel. If you want the whizzer on his left side, do the same.

If you are already gripped up, you will have to break the grip and go from there.

Ben R.

its really not easy to get a whizzer against a same side opponent. i get it as a lefty pretty often, but never against another lefty.

righty v righty will be almost impossible unless you are just amazing at it. trying to get that type of wind-up against a sleeve-grip is really tough if the fella has a clue about grip-fighting.

-resnick

when doing your wizzer, try over rotating while holding the attacking arm tightly..this will cause your opponents shoulder to move as you spin through and then fall to the mat..

if you are talking about a wizzer with an over arm grip, then you need to get your hip inside and use your hip along with the arm to throw forward..if he is bigger and heavier and resists, keep the overarm grip, switch your sleeve grip on the other arm and kind of "clothes line" the opponent with an "irimi" movement and take him straight backward flat to his back..

it should work with some practice

Like Josh I play lefty and get pretty often.

With my right hand I grab uki right sleeve...and drag him across.....at the same time like Ben reach for his right lapel....(under) the arm.

"Like Josh I play lefty and get pretty often.
With my right hand I grab uki right sleeve...and drag him across.....at the same time like Ben reach for his right lapel....(under) the arm."

That is basically what I do when I go for a whizzer. I don't do it often though, I find that better Judoka are not fazed by it.

Ben R.

lift your arms up high and walk right into them, they will grab ya and thats when you spring the whizzer trap...

j.k. of course.