Obtaining an IP Number

How about just asking them if it's for work?

Need more to go on bud.

Do you know their computer name?

Are you physically at their computer when you want to get it? What OS?

xxxxx

There are lots of ways to get this persons IP address but for the most part it all depends on what this person is doing. Need more info mang.

Yeah, without specifics, it's hard to give you specific information.

If you know the computer name and you are on the network you can ping it. If he is hitting your Web Server, you can use ASP to grab the IP. It really depends on what you are doing. Do you know the email address? Any info on his ISP?

Why the cloak and dagger? Just tell us what's wrong and how much info you have on him.

Your IT guys may be a bunch of romos but if you're giving them as much information as we're being given, I wouldn't help either.

xxxxxx

let me get this straight.

your department is running a Internet-based sting and they don't even know how to get an IP address....

yeah, that sounds about par for the course... in Bizarro world.

think of a more convincing way to try and social engineer (aka scam) the information on how to get IP's from us next time.

if you're really a cop, you can have your department talk to Yahoo, Hotmail, or whatever free e-mail service and make a request for information on the guy's account, provided you have a judge's approval/the legality deal is handled. They can give you the IP address the guy has been connecting from along with all his mail, then you can do a simple lookup to figure out what ISP owns the guy's netblock and you can make another offical request to the guy's ISP to get the guy's personal info from there.

if the guy is using proxies or zombie machines it will get a lot trickier to figure out.

if he's using Wi-Fi hotspots to connect from to launder his connection you may have to do a physical presence stakeout to figure out who he is.

on the off chance you are really a cop, know this- you can get far more information on the guy than any of us can legally, by using official channels. Use them.

Rob is correct.

"you can get far more information on the guy than any of us can legally, by using official channels. Use them."

BTW,

"your department is running a Internet-based sting and they don't even know how to get an IP address...."

Rob, I think you just found yourself a job.

Last I checked, both yahoo and hotmail insert the user's originating IP address in the header of any email you recieve from that person.

May I just add that if you really are part of the sex crimes unit, this is truely depressing.

Rob just triangulated and surveiled the correct.

If this is for real, get a hotmail/yahoo acct and get make your headers (the part of the email with the from/to/ subj) FULL..By doing this, not ONLY will you get their server, but their IP#...

Heavy Hands, what do you mean "Rob just triangulated and surveiled the correct."

Do you think this guy is scamming us??

and wait a sec....why do I have 0 posts?? I have posted a ton!!!

I just ran a DNS lookup on RobRPM2222's IP and it shows that his host name is thecorrect.com.