Oddest vibe from school...

Man, that has to be the oddest way of conducting business that I've ever heard of or they are sooooooo selective and exclusive that maybe they thought you didn't fit the mold....you must not have been on the VIP list. :P But then again, the students are always a representation of the teacher and if that's how they set up their vibe, so be it. I think it sucks and screams EGO!

If you wanna talk to the guy, then train with him and then speak after class.

Yeah, in the evening at my school we don't always have someone watching the desk. It's just me teaching class. If I see someone walk in I'll give them a quick wave hello and get over there as soon as possible and chat with them for a minute. I usually invite them to watch class and chat with me after. It doesn't take much effort to give someone a wave of acknowledgment at least.

First rule of bjj club, Don't talk about bjj club!

Awesome marketing lol.

When i travel around the country i like stopping in to different schools. Not only do i talk to the instructors, but after explaining my situation they will usually let me in on a class or two where i can actually roll with them. I've only been to one school with a bad vibe, it turned out that they were a racist organization.

talk is for booshit, cock fagit.

shut up you mouf an trane!

walbjj,

I had been biking around the city for some exercise and came across this school. The head instructor is a "big name", so I just wanted to check out the facility and watch a bit of their BJJ class (like any BJJ practitioner, I'm always curious to see how and what other people teach).

--------

CJJScout,

I used to have a regular school, but I closed it many years ago. I converted my garage to a training area and now only teach a small group of students.

I personally wouldn't want to train at a place like that...all the top instructors at Gracie Barra including Carinhos are always available to talk to.

Did they know who you were, bro?

alittleknowledge,

I'm no big name and wouldn't expect most people to know who I was. The head instructor did not know who I was, but I wouldn't really expect anyone who didn't frequent these forums or have bought my videos to know. Heck, there are quite a few people who only recognize my forum alias and wouldn't even know who I am if they heard my real name. The funny thing was that when I told the guy I was a black belt in BJJ, I got the feeling like he didn't really believe me.

well, u do have that accountant look about u. were u wearing black socks with runners?

I know that TMA schools use this tactic often...They make the head instructor seem like some really important figure. When we signed up w/ our billing company they sent us a bunch of literature on "how to run our school" and that's one of the tactics they teach. You are supposed to put a large picture of the instructor up in the lobby of the school as sort of a "shrine". The head instructor is not to speak directly w/ prospective students, the front desk person handles all of this. And students are to NEVER see you in street clothes. If you are to be seen in the gym, you should be in full uniform (black belt included).

Sounds like this school was trying to follow that script. I know that some schools like to act like you have to "interview" to get a spot in their program. You are to set up an appointment w/ an instructor and they will talk to you to see "IF you are right for their school." Sounds exactly like what they were trying to do...

when we were off hollywood blvd, we got so many drop ins it would take an hour to finish the speil with each one of them; thus, i grew a little callous to talking to people watching.

walbjj,

I wasn't wearing black socks and runners, but whenever I visit and martial arts school, I always present myself in an very unassuming manner. I never wear any martial arts related clothing and I never mention that I do BJJ unless asked.

---------

Angelo,

It's funny that you mention all that. At this school, there are several large pictures of the head instructor.

For some reason I thought your school was still up and running. Seen some interviews and videos and thought that you had a school and that was what you did for a living.

Great vids BTW.

Bolo - walbjj,

I wasn't wearing black socks and runners, but whenever I visit and martial arts school, I always present myself in an very unassuming manner. I never wear any martial arts related clothing and I never mention that I do BJJ unless asked.

You said earlier

"The funny thing was that when I told the guy I was a black belt in BJJ, I got the feeling like he didn't really believe me."

Though it's a curious situation, what was your goal in going there? Did he ask if you were a BB? If not, what prompted you to volunteer?

Bolo - 
---------

Angelo,

It's funny that you mention all that. At this school, there are several large pictures of the head instructor.

Lol. Yep, exactly!

I have several large pictures of myself around my academy with a small table beneath each (for offerings). Incense is usually burning.

There is a precess of humiliation (wedgies, ass-paddling etc0 before you get an interview with me.

BenBJJ - Shen heel-hooked me as soon as i stepped on the mat at Reys. Torn my knee apart.

Not cool dude, not cool.

This actually has happened to me in my hometown of Cininnati. There are probably 5 gyms in a 30 miles radius, JG being the most well-known. I thought to change things up a little bit one day and check out a gym a block away from my place. I am from a different school but came in with respect and just wanted to roll and interact with new people. Well I was in for a surprise, first guy I got paired up with after class went straight for heel hooks (gi). Next fellow decided that also was on his agenda. ....Left and never came back because a) they were terrible ..disgrace blue belts b) I like my ACL.

P.S attempts were terrible but the fact that they for it the whole time ingi is a shady act

Aboxofwine -

P.S attempts were terrible but the fact that they for it the whole time ingi is a shady act

Why? Just because it was gi or because it was heel hooks?